Notices

Alcoholism: Disease Or Not?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
mle-sober

alcoholism = disease

I vote disease for what it's worth. It's important to me primarily because I think it helps my family "get it" a little. Not that they buy it right now but maybe in the future. My outpatient prgram says the med establishment has catergorize d it as a disease in the 1950s.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

(Bleeding over from another thread)...

Tell you husband that and then ask him if he claims to be a more knowledgeable authority than the AMA? ... He needs help, Emily.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I read Beyond the Influence, the follow up to Under the Influence.

Alcoholism is a DISEASE.

I would highly recommend either of the above books to any newcomer. It helped me to accept that my body processes alcohol differently than others, and helped me see that I am not totally at fault for my condition. I cannot recommend them enough.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

my best thinking has me on this site
Sober on a Friday nite

Not some bar some where

I don't really care

The important thing is being sober, no matter what it takes

No more lies, broken promises and heart aches.

No more the drunken fool

Coming to with my head in the stool.

Don't know a lot but, this much is true

Alcohol destroys, before it kills you

So, to put your mind at ease.

Does it really matter if, this is a disease?

Being sober is like playing country music in reverse.

You get to live a good life instead of being laid flat in the back of a hearse

Many men wiser then you and me.

Have had this same discussion and couldn't agree

So, getting back to your question about what I think.

Instead of a beer now, it's coffee I drink
Old 02-15-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
where the light is

Disease? Allergy? I know it has characteristics of both but if I think about it too much I get a really sore head . Also, try and explain this to someone who doesn't have an addiction!

Physically, I can't drink. Mentally, I can't ever think that I can have just one drink. That's all I know for certain.

BTW, an addictions counsellor once told me that I just had a bad habit! (my initial thought: you mean sorta like biting my nails?)
Old 02-15-2008, 10:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Old 02-16-2008, 02:41 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

OK. Here it goes. I'm going to be the only one to go against the theory of the disease module. I brought this on myself and I arrested it myself. (I don't use AA (tried it for 5 months and absolutely hated it)--I don't define my life as an "alcoholic"--there is so much more to me than that). It was a CHOICE I made that gradually worsened because I was enjoying myself to the point of overindulgence, self medication and eventual dependence.

I'm an RN and see many true diseases that affected innocent people that are quietly going about their everyday lives--cancer, pneumonia, lupus, flu, colds, migrains, arthritis--on and on and on. They don't have the option of stopping what they are doing and make it all go away.

Do smokers have a disease? Chewing tobacco? Overeaters? Heroin abusers? Marijuana abusers?

Sorry, but you will never convince me of this disease theory. One big copout. I cringe when I read posts that say "why doesn't my wife understand my inability to function and earn a living and be a good husband/father--I have a DISEASE!".

I'm ready for all the dissenting replies. Pour it on.

jane
Old 02-16-2008, 02:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to think that way...but the very fact that, a lot of the time, I had no 'choice' in whether I drank or not, that I would find myself *again and again* drinking when I really didn't want to (and in fact had very cogent and tangible reasons not to) eventually led me away from my original 'choice/will' model. There's more to it than that, even taking into consideration your dependence point.

I still have no idea what it is, but these days I think call it whatever you like - it's far more important that it's dealt with.

D
Old 02-16-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

green tea

in my expierence, its the small problem that disguises itself as a affliction, a condition, a malady, a allergy, a disease, and in my world, a little rat...

"a rat named addiction"

all good wishes, and keep giveing that love!

rz
Old 02-16-2008, 05:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Thanks for all the discussion, folks!
Old 02-16-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

This is the paper I wrote for my class. All input is appreciated.

My instructions were: Explain the "Disease concept of Alcoholism: to an individual who has just been arrested for DUI and who does not think they have a problem with alcohol. Include: disease concept, how medicine defines a disease. THIQ.

Alcoholism as a Disease

I understand that you recently received a DUI and do not think you have a problem with alcohol. I am not here to tell you if you are alcoholic or not. I am here to educate you on the disease of alcoholism. Over 50% of all fatal accidents involving two or more cars are alcohol related. Some of the drivers are alcoholic, some are non alcoholic. Many look at alcoholism with a judgmental and moralistic view. In 1956 the American Medical Association stated that alcoholism was a disease. It met the five criteria needed in order to be considered a disease: pattern of symptoms, chronicity, progression, subject to relapse and treatability. Alcoholism is an illness that crosses all social classes. Anyone could get it, regardless of age, sex, education, class, ethnicity or religion. Those with a family history of drinking are at a higher risk, even if they once swore they would never drink like their mother or father.
Alcoholism is a chronic, progressive disease that manifests itself with symptoms that affect one physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually and socially. Denial is its number one symptom, and the alcoholic is usually the last one to believe he or she has it.
This disease is often described as cunning, baffling and powerful. The alcoholic is often just as puzzled as those around him or her, because no matter how he or she attempts to modify drinking, nothing seems to work. The individual just can't seem to get a "grip" on the problem. Denial is the biggest symptom of this illness, and not just for the alcoholic. Those around the alcoholic are also often in denial, believing the person just needs to stop drinking or cut down. It is only after treatment that this confusing problem begins to make sense. The alcoholic learns that he or she has a chemical reaction to alcohol and that it is the first drink that causes the trouble. That is, it's the first drink that sets the obsession to drink in motion.
The craving that an alcoholic feels for alcohol can be as strong as the need for food or water. An alcoholic will continue to drink despite serious family, health, or legal problems.
Research shows that the risk for developing alcoholism does indeed run in families. The genes a person inherits partially explain this pattern, but lifestyle is also a factor. Currently, researchers are working to discover the actual genes that put people at risk for alcoholism. Your friends, the amount of stress in your life, and how readily available alcohol is also are factors that may increase your risk for alcoholism.
But remember: Risk is not destiny. Just because alcoholism tends to run in families doesn't mean that a child of an alcoholic parent will automatically become an alcoholic too. Some people develop alcoholism even though no one in their family has a drinking problem. By the same token, not all children of alcoholic families get into trouble with alcohol. Knowing you are at risk is important, though, because then you can take steps to protect yourself from developing problems with alcohol.
Now I want to teach you about Tetrahydroisiquinoline. Otherwise known as THIQ. THIQ was discovered in brains of alcoholics in Houston, Texas by a scientist named Virginia Davis who was doing cancer research. For her study she needed fresh human brains and used bodies of homeless winos who had died during the night and were picked up by Houston police in the morning. She discovered in the brains of those chronic alcoholics a substance that is closely related to Heroin. When a person shoots heroin into their body, some of it breaks down and turns into THIQ. The Alcoholics studied had not been using heroin so how did the THIQ get there? When the normal adult drinker takes in alcohol, it is very rapidly eliminated at the rate of about one drink per hour. The body first converts the alcohol into something called Acetaldehyde. This chemical is very toxic and if it were to build up inside us, we would get violently sick and could die. But Mother Nature helps us to get rid of acetaldehyde very quickly. She efficiently changes it a couple of more times - into carbon dioxide and water - which is eliminated through kidneys and lungs. That's what happens to normal drinkers. It also happens with alcoholic drinkers, but with alcoholic drinkers something additional happens. In alcoholic drinkers, a very small amount of poisonous acetaldehyde is not eliminated. Instead it goes to the brain. There through a very complicated biochemical process, it winds up as THIQ. Research shows that THIQ is manufactured in the brain and only occurs in the brain of the alcoholic drinker. It is not manufactured in the brain of the normal social drinker of alcohol. Once the THIQ is in the alcoholic brain it never goes away. This explains the chronicity of alcoholism.
Now for the good news. And there is good news. Alcoholism is treatable, but successful recovery from alcoholism requires active participation of the individual. It is critical that the alcoholic accepts the illness and be willing to manage his or her recovery process, much like anyone with any other chronic illness has to do. Education is essential. Recovering alcoholics must be well informed about their illness and the need for good self-care. To avoid relapse, the individual needs to learn skills in treatment to maintain and enhance his or her ability to continue in recovery. Many people are able to live and enjoy life after dealing with their alcoholism.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

We've had this debate so many times

I don't think it matters what you call it-if you've got it?You know.What matters is that we address it.(IMO) I know I'm an alcoholic.I will never really know if this is genetic, a disease, a 'fault' in my make up.It really makes no difference to me.I can't drink.I can't handle alcohol.Labelling my condition has never made it easier or harder.It just is, really

Jules.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:56 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

To me it's not only a case of drinking,but a case of if you drink I am only thinking about drinking.Disease or lust, I do not know.I just know I can not drink like other people. Gums54.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'm with Gyps and Chance and Kev - doesn't matter a whit what it is, so long as we deal with it.
D
This is what I get for staying away from SR for a couple of days! Several folks beat me to what I would have said.

This is the paper I wrote for my class. All input is appreciated.
BTW...I would give your paper an "A". I hope your Professor agrees!