Notices

Introducing myself

Old 02-14-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome to day 4 - you're doing great! We are behind you!
Old 02-14-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Pickachu...I choose YOU!

By the way, I'm starting on Day 4 of sobriety!!!!!!!! I can't believe it!!!!!!!!

Im on day 4 too.....a little surreal isn't it? (In a good way!!!!)
Glad you made it through meetings one and two.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

wjw1970: yea for us!

(Even though I'm kind of miserable, thinking that this is going to be my 4th day without a drink makes me giggle- I'm just so amazed!)
Old 02-14-2008, 07:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

Little-el;
Awesome for you having 4 days on not drinking under your belt. Ya, we may be a wee bit miserable, frustrated, scared, etc., but it is certainly WAY better than being drunk, doing God knows what, waking up with a hangover, not remembering the night before, etc., etc..
The two points you made about the AA meeting after your first meeting, were bones of contention with me as well, 1- 90 meetings in 90 days....WFT! and 2- People with years of sobriety still struggling.
But when you think about it. If you'll do anything for your sobriety, then you'll go to a meeting if it means not picking up. And the fact that people struggle years after getting clean, ya they do, not all the time, but if they weren't sober, they'd be struggling with their drinking. So we are facing a struggle no matter what....pick the struggle that causes you the least grief....sobriety.
You're doing fantastic!
Hugs, Tay.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Tay, you're so right: if we're going to be struggling, we may as well be struggling with sobriety. Funny how my first thought when I see people struggling and when I feel myself struggling is that a drink would help, when, of course, it wouldn't help in any long term sense!

And you're also right about what it feels like to wake up in the morning. Even though the first thing I think is, "Wow, I'd really like a drink," the second thing I think is, "Wow, I remember what happened last night and my head doesn't feel 100 lbs!" So, it's not all bad, of course; I was just being negative. That's something I'm working on: trying to keep positive even when it's hard, which it is and is gonna be.

Thanks for posting.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Hello little-el, welcome to SR!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The other thing that scares me is that there were several people with years of sobriety under their belt saying that it's still a struggle for them. I don't know if I can take feeling this way for years, but I'm sick of being a drunk.
Little-El I know people like that as well, so far every one of them I know like that has not worked the steps. When I first got into AA I was straight out of detox, they told me that if I wanted a chance to stay sober I needed to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor.

Well I knew I had to stay sober or I was a dead man, so I did go to over 90 AA meetings in 90 days and I got a sponsor.

For the first 90 days I was doing pretty good, but right after that I started thinking about drinking again even though I knew I did not want to. The sponsor I got at first spent a lot of time out of town on business and I kept hearing folks who really had thier acts together in meetings say that if one wants a chance at long term happy sobriety they needed to work the steps.

These people shared that as they worked the steps or a while after they finished they had the obsession to drink leave them! I wanted what they had, so I found another sponsor who had the time to work the steps with me.

Well my obsession to drink was lifted from me before I finished the steps. I have found that the fellowship of AA is my support group in working and living the steps. You will find folks in the rooms sober that have not worked the steps, you will see some folks in the rooms that seem to have something special about them that you can not quite put your finger on, but what ever it is you will want what they have. What I have found is that the ones like that are the ones that have worked the steps and are living in the solution and not trying to use osmosis to gain sobriety and serenity by just attending meetings.