Notices

hello everyone

Old 02-14-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Prayers to you Shay.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Shay, I am not in a position to offer advice as I am just starting again (again) myself. I also fear not being able to do this THING! as I have tried so many times. But hey, I gotta try. There are lots of people with good advice here so you are in the right place. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Shay and others

I'm very new to the forum but not new to the disease or the program of AA.

This is my advice.....

I was absolutely unable to get sober without attending meetings and getting a SPONSOR! Looking back I believe I was unable to work the first step, "admit I was powerless over alcohol" until I got a sponsor. Getting a sponsor was really my first admission of powerlessness, until that point I could say it but I didn't really believe it, I was trying to learn how to have power over alcohol and drugs...doing "it" by myself. REACH OUT FOR HELP is the first length in a long list of "going to any length" to get and stay sober.

One great benefit to getting a sponsor...in my opinion, you begin to be part of the solution, you've begun service work. Sponsors serious about their program benefit from working with others in a sponsorship capacity. Without knowing it I began to help people and that helped immensely.

I found my bottom, it's a combination of reasons I don't want to drink or drug anymore. Find your bottom. Live there. I'm an alcoholic, my disease constantly reminds me of the ease and comfort that comes from the first drink, that's my obsession. My job is to seperate myself from my disease, to remember all the reasons I don't want to drink. Early in sobriety, remembering these things was my best quick defense, followed by the tools I gained at meetings, calling someone, praying, read the BB or other literature, GO TO A MEETING, start doing what sober people do.

Various times in my life I've had lengths of sobriety from months to years. I remember being defenseless against the thought of drinking, drinking was my solution long after it quit working. I had only myself to fight off the obsession and it was always frightening and I always assumed I was an utter failure. Now the occasional thought of drinking brings no fear. I've come to understand that thinking about drinking doesn't make me a failure, it makes me an alcoholic, and with the help of others I learn how to not drink. Two and a half years into my sobriety I realize that that thought is not me, it's my disease. It's my enemy that I can only fight if I know where it is.

Odd now, but when that thought comes to me today I can recognize it and say "there you are you SOB", I feel you, I hear you, I sense you and I can go find help. HELP, which is what I need most because I'm sick!!

There is a Ninth Step promise "will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it", that promise will come true, that's why it is a promise. When it does you will see your disease and be able to defend yourself against it.

If you want to get and stay sober....GO TO MEETINGS, don't drink, GET PHONE NUMBERS, don't drink, USE THE NUMBERS, don't drink, GET A SPONSOR, don't drink, READ THE BIG BOOK, don't drink, PRAY..EVEN IF YOU DON'T THINK IT WILL WORK, don't drink..

God's Peace
Old 11-26-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i need help. i have a question

:prayingso, i relapsed and have been drinking for about a month. it has been about 12-18 beers a day. when i say a day, i mean it starts from the time i wake up to the time i go to bed. i am detoxing saturday. i was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone who drank this much, constantly, like i do?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

yep shay...

i did, and more, along with other substances...

it was from wake up, all day, till passout/blackout at night!

follow through with that detox, and report back when you can...

ya might wanna have a good recovery plan for when you get sprung from detox!

all good wishes shay...

rz
Old 11-26-2008, 06:07 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Shay,
I usually drink 1-2 bottles of wine a day (and sometimes a few beers too), in the space of a few hours (don't start drinking till I get home from work at 5pm) and am usually passed out by 9 or 10pm. I'm quitting as of today (hopefully for the last time). Am a bit scared about withdrawal though.....
Old 11-26-2008, 07:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Please read the stickies!
Alcohol detox can be dangerous. It is best to talk to a doctor and tell them your plan so that you can be monitored. I wish you both shay & lis the very best.
Oh my gosh lis, that was me!! EXACTLY! The worst for me was the anxiety, restlessness, irritability, learning how to sleep without alcohol. But man it was SO worth it! Take vitamins, drink lots of water. And lis, for me, I had to find something else to do after work for a little while. It was hard to be in my house without drinking, lol. So I either went to a meeting (AA) or I went to the gym. The cool deal is that I am more spiritually and physically fit than I have ever been! And I have lost 41 pounds in 6 1/2 months! PM me if you ever need an ear.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

thank you rusty zipper. i really appreciate that..you made me feel a whole lot better are you still up or is anyone still up? i am not real sure how to use this website, but i am trying to figure it out. i just want to talk and everytime i try to post a blog, it tells me i can't.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

hey, good luck for saturday. will you be an in-patient or detoxing at home?
i knew i was going in in-patient to titrate on my meds, and i made sure i had people i could call, which was hard, coz i'd lost touch with sooo many friends and family. when i look back on my list now, they are pretty much all workers.
also, i think the thing that helped me a lot, was my journal. i plan on burying it now, i haven't written in it for 5 months. i've not had any gear for 16 months, but try a book to write in. it helped me remember just how bad it all really was, instead of just remembering the fun times.
good luck to you!