Notices

Update on Chloe's foot

Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on Chloe's foot

Hi Guys, well we picked Chloe up after having her x-rayed today. It turns out she didn't hurt her foot. It's her knee. I forgot the technical name but she tore the ligament in her knee. They told us its more common in dogs to have this problem with the way they run around.

So we found out the only way to make it better is surgery. So she goes back on the 21th for blood work and then on the 25th she has her surgery. I still don't know how she could of done this to herself. Probably her and Lois wrestling upstairs.

So there goes my vacation to Texas to visit my parents. We found out its going to cost $1,200 and we spent $400 tonight for her x-rays. I was starting to think I'm cursed or something with all this stuff going on over the past week.

I did make it to my meeting tonight and I told them maybe my HP doesn't want me to go to Texas yet. Maybe I'm not ready emotionally or something. My Dad isn't doing to well emotionally and mentally and his anger issues are getting really bad again even with strangers. So i know how he'll be with me. I'm still scared of my dad to this day even at my age. So maybe it is a sign from my HP.

So i hope and pray Chloe will be all right. She's my baby.

Barb
Old 02-05-2008, 10:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cunning. baffling. powerful.

Hey - I'm sorry to hear about your kitty's knee injury. A ruptured crutiate ligament is an unusual injury in a cat, but sometimes things happen. She could have had a weak knee to begin with - a congenital condition she was born with, or maybe an early injury that weakened it. Or perhaps she just ... got unlucky and twisted her leg just wrong.

There are several surgeries for a torn crutiate and I've assisted on many of them (on dogs). The good news is that they have very good outcomes.

Is she having a lateral fabellar surgery (where they use a nylon monofilament band to stabilize the joint)? There is another surgery, called a TPLO (where they adjust her tibia so that joint is a better shape) but that is typically used on large dogs or more involved injury. These are the two most common and I've seen really good results from both where the dogs were up and walking a few days later. I can imagine that with a cat, less body weight and more flexibility - recovery will go really well.

Your kitty has a lucky mom. (BTW - I recently spent around $1800 to save my cat Logan's life (that's with my 50% vet student discount!). He's laying on the desk next to me right now and I'm really glad to have him there. I know how hard it is to spend so much money on your pet unexpectedly, but I also know what a good choice it is in the long run. )

(The links are to a website with really nice clear descriptions of the anatomy and procedures for lay people.)

Good luck to you and Chloe.

~SK
Old 02-06-2008, 01:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey Barb
sorry about Chloe...and sorry about Texas.

Dunno whether your HP is guiding things or not, but the important thing is Chloe gets well again - that's the main thing

D
Old 02-06-2008, 03:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tell Chloe - no more wrestling!

Seriously - I'm sorry you won't be able to take the trip. You're a great Mommy, though!
Old 02-06-2008, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Sorry about Chloe's knee Scaredy. I hope she isn't in much pain. I don't know what your HP is up to... maybe this was just about Chloe and nothing more. Maybe Chloe just has a different HP than you.

You're making a good choice by choosing the surgery over the trip I think. There will be another time to travel .
Old 02-06-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's a lot of money! Damn pets, lol.

Main thing is, she is ok.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Barb.. I think you have the right idea, at least... Things do happen for a reason and sometime it's long after they happen before we finally understand those reasons.

You're amazing for all you're giving up for Chloe. HuGGGGGGGGGGGs to you!

~C
Old 02-06-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Barb))))

I just pm'd you, asking about Chloe....didn't see this post. Sorry about Texas, but I really do believe that things happen for a reason.

Hope Chloe's recuperation is fast.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-06-2008, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi guys, finally on. Just got off the phone with my sponsor and was updating her on everything. Turns out she was having trouble with her phone and wasn't getting my messages. So that's another problem solved.

I also got a phone call from the vets office for a actual price on her surgery. It's going to be about $1,600. So definitely no Texas. In a way its kind of a relief. I don't get along with my father that well at all. It gets so stressful with him sometimes.

Thank you so much everyone for your support. i couldn't do any of this with out you.

also thank you St. Kirk for that information on the surgeries. Chloe's having the lateral fabellar surgery. They told us it would be about 2 months recovery time for her to walk well again. So at least she'll be better by summer to enjoy going out on the enclosed front porch.

Barb
Old 02-06-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Barb,

I am sorry about poor Chloe but I am so glad that she has such a good Mom to take care of her. And, you know, nothing ever happens by 'accident' and you're right, that it just wasn't meant for your to visit your family right now. I do find it much easier to accept these kinds of things now. There was a time when something like that would have me so upset. But, just know that you are on the right path and Chloe will be so grateful.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

$1600 still sounds like a *lot* for the op - ok I don't live in the US, but wow.
Glad you feel better about no Texas tho

D