Notices

Why Do I Drink?

Old 02-05-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why Do I Drink?

Hi

I am new to this. I don't know how I got here. How I got to this point. I just know that I need help. My family has given me an ultimatum and I have taken the first steps in getting help. After several phone calls to detox and treatment centres, I've had to wait to get in (1 week) and I don't know how I'll make it til then.

I'm going through withdrawal right now. Taking diazepam but I still feel awful. I'm not working at the moment. I feel okay in the mornings but in the afternoons I just feel like c r a p.

I guess I've had a problem with alcohol for years and it's gradually gotten worse. I grew up in a household with 2 alcoholic parents and I've now gotten to the point where I just know I can't continue this way.

If anybody has any suggestions for me I'd appreciate it. I haven't been able to talk to anyone outside of my own household about this. I don't want to see or speak to anybody right now except people who understand how I'm feeling right now. Please help. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, hang on. Please consider getting medical help with detox. I know the feeling of fear and feeling like crap. It does go away if we hang on. This is really no way to live. There are those that have much more experience, strength and hope then I do that will come along shortly. Please take care.
Know you have many others trying to get and stay sober right along with you.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I know how you feel on the waiting thing. You see my join date?
That was me waiting almost 2 and a half weeks to get into treatment. I found this site and have been here ever since. It really helped me alot to post and read alot here.
Everyone was awesome. I think I posted more threads in that couple weeks waiting to go to treatment than I have in months combined.
I have seen alcohol withdrawl with my gramps before he died. And he was very very sick if he did not drink even one day. You may want to talk to a Dr to be safe while you wait.
It can be dangerous from what I hear.
I hope you feel better and welcome.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Welcome to SR. Well, if you are signed up for treatment that is a good thing. You have an opportunity to change your life for the better. Its a bummer you have to wait a week but better to wait than not go at all. You are about to embark on a cool journey don't forget to take the time to enjoy the scenry as you go along. Keep posting and there are plenty of nice people on this forum who offer support and advice. Maybe you should try to get to an AA meeting, buy a big book or keep kicking em back till its time go for treatment (no point in suffering through withdrawl if you don't have to).
keep it casual
Old 02-05-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Racer,

Welcome!

There is lots of support here and information too. I hope you take a look around and keep posting.

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you detox from alcohol.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Please do see your doctor
especially as
you are using diazepam....be aware
of the danger of mixing them with alcohol.

Do go over to this link
read the top sticky post for information

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/

Be both safe and sober.

Last edited by CarolD; 02-05-2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 02-06-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and WELCOME racer...

You're in the right place. Keep coming back to listen and post... You will find amazing support and insight here. Best of Luck.

HuGGGGGGGGGs

~C