Notices

Got one month up

Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
taking it one day at a time

Got one month up

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd post this here as it may help some of the other fellow newcomers.

It's been a while since I've posted so thought it was time I popped in to say hi. It's great to see so many of you doing so well.

I'm on day 31 now so I'm pretty happy that I've made it a whole month.

Been attending heaps of aa meetings and talking with many of the other members so it's been an interesting period for me.

What I'm calling the "honeymoon" period that I experienced over the first couple of weeks is well and truly over. The last week and a half I've started to have a heap of realizations of what this is really all about..... never drinking again (one day at a time).

So I've kinda been going through a mourning period of some sort where I've just been thinking thoughts like "what do you mean I'll never be able to have a beer again" and "what about birthdays, engagements, weddings or anniversaries?" etc etc.

Last Friday I felt so Sh#t and all I wanted to do was have a beer after work, although I didn't have one and I just went to another meeting. I kept thinking "please don't pick me to share, please don't pick me to share" coz all I wanted to say was "I hate you all, thanks for showing me what I'm in for and for all the knowledge I now have coz I can't have a friggin drink now can I?! I hope you're all happy!!!".

I don't really hate anyone in aa, quite the contrary actually. I'm glad of what I now know and the support I've recieved has just been fantastic. I know it'll help keep me sober in the long run. Besides, there's nothing there for me now (in drinking).

I like the person I am today, I like the person I was yesterday and I'm more than likely to like the person I'll be tomorrow.... That's something worth being sober for.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Old 02-04-2008, 11:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

well done, time2!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering Alcoholic/Addict

Great job on 31 days.

Keep going!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on your sober time - hang in there during the more difficult times. Early sobriety is a rollercoaster ride - so hang on tight and don't drink. It gets much much better.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on your sober time,and keep on battling.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TTGIU~

Congratulations on your 30+ days!! And thank you for all of your inspiration...

Your quote sums it up for me, as well.. I can SO relate! "I like the person I am today, I like the person I was yesterday and I'm more than likely to like the person I'll be tomorrow.... That's something worth being sober for."

Thank you!
~C
Old 02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

I remember when life hit me upside the face. It was tough. That's where the steps come in. If it was all about just not drinking no one would stay sober. it's about living. 31 days is amazing. I swear, time slows down in those early days. Keep it up, it only gets better.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
where the light is

Good work on the 31 days! That's a great milestone.

Originally Posted by timetogiveitup View Post
So I've kinda been going through a mourning period of some sort where I've just been thinking thoughts like "what do you mean I'll never be able to have a beer again" and "what about birthdays, engagements, weddings or anniversaries?" etc etc.[[/I][/B]
I deal with this kind of thinking by trying to put it in proper perspective. There are so many riches in life and giving up alcohol is such a negligible thing. Besides...I can't enjoy alcohol (can't dispute the facts!) - period. So why even concern myself with it? It certainly won't make my life any better! Just have to keep the focus on the benefits of sobriety, not on what I am supposedly missing out on.