Notices

I can't believe I started drinking again..

Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

welcome back
Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Recovering Alcoholic/Addict

Welcome back to the SR forums. 100 days was quite an accomplishment...and a good target to look to beat next time
Old 02-05-2008, 01:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't do AA either. I went for 5 months and gained a few valuable tools (ie. "one day at a time") but it wasn't for me.

I do use this board frequently and see my psychiatrist 4X/year. I was diagnose with depression. To get my antidepressants I need to visit him. I've always been totally honest with him. For some reason, not only do I not want to let myself and family down, I don't want to let him down either.

Aside from that, when you get to 1 year sobriety, you will see how much physically and psychologically better you feel. (My blood work didn't even return to normal until 1 year--liver functions and anemia.)

Give it another try, don't be hard on yourself and just go day-by-day. Possibly try to find some other support, even if just a friend.

jane
Old 02-05-2008, 04:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Guy - Welcome back! We joined up around the same time and I have missed your posts...lots of us here (me included) have relapsed, so don't be too hard on yourself. The great advice I got when I relapsed was to figure out the cause of the drinking and try to find another way to cope. So far, it's been working for me and I know it can work for you too. Stick around, we missed ya! Jomey
Old 02-05-2008, 04:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi Guy! Welcome back .
Old 02-05-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome back, and the main thing is you are back. Best wishes in the ongoing battle.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm sort of in a similar position except I can believe I started drinking again. Hadn't been to a meeting of AA for 3 months so I suppose it was always going to happen. Anyhow, It's day 1 again for me. I feel like death warmed up. I'm shaky, depressed, still have a terrible hangover and am full of anxiety. Don't think I could physically drink today even I tried. Going to be a long day but I've been up since 7am and it seems to have taken forever to get to 3pm. Only 7 hrs to go and I can go to bed.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Guy!
Old 02-05-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goodnfast View Post
Welcome back to the SR forums. 100 days was quite an accomplishment...and a good target to look to beat next time
absolutely
Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Diggler View Post
I'm sort of in a similar position except I can believe I started drinking again. Hadn't been to a meeting of AA for 3 months so I suppose it was always going to happen. Anyhow, It's day 1 again for me. I feel like death warmed up. I'm shaky, depressed, still have a terrible hangover and am full of anxiety. Don't think I could physically drink today even I tried. Going to be a long day but I've been up since 7am and it seems to have taken forever to get to 3pm. Only 7 hrs to go and I can go to bed.
hang in there..
Old 02-05-2008, 10:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ok folks.. here we go. Day one. Giddy Up!.. I need to go home and get rid of my stash ASAP. I have a little bottle of Jager that is hidden in my office. I need to poor it out before it starts whispering in my ear. I am committed though. Yesterday I was a little on the fence but I feel good about February 5th being my new sobriety date. Great thing too. I had someone from this board leave me a private message that is from my community. He started SR a couple months ago and needs some help as well. 2 clear heads are better than one.

One interesting side note. I'm not going to tell my wife I'm going to quit again. Not because I feel like I would disappoint her.. I want to do this for me this time. Last time it was more for her which I think is why I failed. Things got rocky for us a little bit and I hit the bottle. Now our relationship is doing pretty well so it's a good time to start. Posting on the board is a butt kicker for me because it is my a committal point to me.

I think I'll be posting often as I did with my last sober stint.

Keep it Real!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
let it grow!

but won't your wife know anyway?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got to that point too Guy. I had told my family that I was quitting so many times and failed. So, finally, I just shut-up and did it and let them see for themselves.

Good luck with your recovery!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by parentrecovers View Post
but won't your wife know anyway?
I have hidden how much I really drink from my wife for many years. (I'm very good at that).

She'll realize in a couple of weeks. Better for her to find out that I'm doing it myself..
Old 02-05-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I understand that reasoning Guy. Wouldn't she be good support though if she knew from the get go? Plus, you could have her dispose of your "stash".
Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I think she will be good support when I've proven that I'm serious about it.. good thought though..
Old 02-05-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey GWP~

I, too, am new here and missed meeting you originally --and I'm glad ur here now.

Something to keep in mind during your new recovery... Try not to be any harder on yourself than you would be on anyone else here, ok? This disease is powerful and any one of us could be the one posting with the relapse. Try to treat yourself with the same gentle understanding and support that you would offer anyone else....

Congratulations on coming back here, it couldn't be an easy decisions, but it's one I'm sure you're happy you made. This is an amazing place and I'm so blessed to have found it. Thanks for being here and sharing.

HuGGGGGGGGGGs

~C
Old 02-05-2008, 12:10 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

Move forward, don't look back. After my one and only relapse(thank god) I was afraid others in the recovery program would look down on me. HA! That's a laugh. It happens, if everyone could just quit there would be no recovery community to worry about. It's what we do, it happens. congratulations on coming back, it's not easy.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theonlyway View Post
Hey GWP~

I, too, am new here and missed meeting you originally --and I'm glad ur here now.

Something to keep in mind during your new recovery... Try not to be any harder on yourself than you would be on anyone else here, ok? This disease is powerful and any one of us could be the one posting with the relapse. Try to treat yourself with the same gentle understanding and support that you would offer anyone else....

Congratulations on coming back here, it couldn't be an easy decisions, but it's one I'm sure you're happy you made. This is an amazing place and I'm so blessed to have found it. Thanks for being here and sharing.

HuGGGGGGGGGGs

~C
Thanks. I'm always much harder on myself. I'm not a judgmental person. I'm glad I came back.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Let the cravings begin.. Dang. As soon as I think about getting off of work.