Notices

Cringers...

Old 02-04-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

Unhappy Cringers...

Ok, here I go. I've read many humourous posts regarding our worst moments. Some have made me laugh out loud days after reading them......the mental picture.
I have held back in posting any of mine because they are so dismal I feel sick when I think about them....BUT......
A couple of years ago, my husband and I went to the Dominican Republic for a wedding (my husbands brother was getting married). There were 60 family and friends that went for the wedding, all staying in the same resort. Most of the family had already seen me at my 'worst' numerous times, so I SWORE with all my heart I would behave....well.....
As it happened....the cringing over asking all aunts and uncles if they thought my boobs were too big wasn't enough....at the time I was quite serious, asking this question as I stumbled from table to table spilling my handful of margaritas all over myself and everyone else......anyways, the cringing over that wasn't enough.....the next day, I got drunk (of coarse) and by 2pm I was walking around the resort like I owned the place, talking in my really bad fake American accent....I'm Canadian......I was yelling orders at everyone, insisting the towels provided were not soft enough! OMG Anyways......when my husband told me it was time to take a nap I started a big fight with him. This happened in front of all our family and friends and the other guests. So I go back to our room, smudge black makeup all over my eye and go back out to everyone and tell them.............in my American accent.....that my husband hit me and gave me a black eye.........meanwhile he never left sight of the family AND he's never ever laid a finger on me EVER. So when no-one believed me, I called security on everyone and said that my husband had hit me and everyone was lying for him.........in the end, I ended up passed out by 4pm and couldn't get out of bed for 2 days (we had booze in the room so I just drank there). I missed the wedding...which I'm sure everyone was glad for. And when we left the resort, not one friend or family member would look at me or talk to me on the bus ride to the airport or on the plane. Eveyone else was happy and laughing about all the good times they had, while I just grumbled to myself about how I was never going back to the Dominican cause the Rum was too strong!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You reminded me of my brother's wedding. I got into a huge fight with my husband in front of my family, my Dad intervened, and I ran off into the night. They looked for me for hours. I hailed a police cruiser who took me home. Shoeless, stumbling along the streets late at night.

And my own trip to DR, many years ago. *shudders*

I remind myself of these times not to punish myself, but to remind myself what happens when I drink, and why I need to keep working hard at my recovery.

I'm glad you're here with us and moving forward, T!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Thanks for sharing Tay-Lyn

And Ro Ro honey I love you but, that sounded like for a second you were Sandra Bullock in 28 days @ her sisters wedding...the fighting...walking the streets with no shoes... Glad you are here with us now Ro Ro
Old 02-04-2008, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So in order to not have any more cringers, I have decided to back to AA. I can't believe I'm saying that. Three weeks ago when I found this site, I swore up and down I wasn't ever going back. But thanks to the wonderful support I found here, I am encouraged to seek recovery....and I'll do whatever it takes to find it....if that means AA...then so be it.

I have a few more cringers I may post over time to this thread, helps me to remember why I am seeking recovery. So if you have any you want to add...feel free.

Step One:
Admitted we were powerless over alcohol.....ahh.....ya! Just scroll up for example.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As I lay awake last night (for hours!), I couldn't help but have flashes of 'cringers' go through my head. It's as though my disease can't let me have a moments rest. It's as if it was saying to me.....'you're not gonna forget about me so fast Missy!...remember this!..........and slap, I get a mental picture of myself trying to karate kick a DJ in the face....OMG....WTF was I thinking!

Here it is in a nutshell......my girlfriend and I go out, it starts pouring down rain as we're walking down the street, we duck inside this sleezy strip bar (female strippers) for cover and go in for a quick drink. We're sitting at our table and the DJ gets on the mike and says to the crowd....'who'll pay to see these two ladies take their shirts off!?' The crowd starts making lewd comments and lots of noise, so I walk up to the DJ booth and everyone quiets down thinking I'm gonna flash or something......when I get to the DJ booth, I try to karate kick the DJ in the face! I have never taken a lesson in my life! And am NOT flexible. I'm 5' 10", slim and VERY awkward....plus I was hammered! So I try to karate kick this guy, fall flat on my ass and get picked up by the bouncer in a head-lock and thrown out of the bar!
If that's not bad enough, my gf follows me and slips when she gets outside on the wet pavement and rips the sleeve of her shirt. We grab a piece of pizza and somehow she gets sauce on her arm where the tear in her sleeve is. We go back to her place where her SIX Irish brothers are drinking. It's 1am and they're hammered too. They look at my gf's arm, and we tell them we we're accosted and then thrown out of the bar, and in the process, my gf fell down and cut her arm open. WTF!! So of coarse the Irish brothers go to the strip bar....and well.....lets just say when they got home, they were not too happy with us as we had lied to them and caused them a lot of grief.
So to lighten the mood, I showed them the karate kick I used on the DJ and fell again, and knocked myself out!
Oh man........now that is a CRINGER!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

I'm so glad to here your gonna give AA a shot. I see how active you are here, if you put half as much effort into AA your gonna have smooth sailin.
It's not the only way for sure, but it's definitely the only way that worked for me.

And I know exactly what your talking about, memories that make you shiver. Thank god the steps can get you past them.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Pickachu...I choose YOU!

Well, those kind of moments are very hard on us to remember. You have showed bunches of courage putting your stories out there. Thank you Tay-lyn,

One of my worst moments was last March, a few days after the kids and I were in an accident (not my fault, not drinking, but still very freaky to go through). The days and nights following that were horrendous. The docs gave me tranquilizers and pain meds, and of course, I had to have them with a side helping of booze.

I had passed out, but woke up in the middle of the night, not knowing where I was, what on earth I was doing out of bed, and BOOM! fell out, and knocked my self out cold on the cedar hope chest at the end of the bed. I had a terrible gash and concussion. DH called his mom and my grandparents and when I came to, I ranted and raved like a lunatic to all of them while all they were trying to do was help me.

Now I have a beautiful scar on my head to remind me of my stupidity.....and a few days after, saw something on tv where someone had fallen, hit their head, and died from the injury. Bone chilling to think I didn't get hurt any worse.

I should remember how lucky I felt, and how I don't want to be in that place again.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Wow, what an awful thread! hahaha

I've had plenty myself, probably the most recent one that gets me is singing with my band last year, so drunk on cheap wine that I could barely stand, people in the audience abusing me for being drunk, me abusing them back, and finally kicking my wine glass/es into the crowd, and smashing them all over the dance floor.

The fights with my fiance, the sleazy moves at strangers, pushing my weight around at clubs, and generally acting like a moron are all there, but I knew the next morning after that gig that I'd been a bad dog...

It was the last time I sang with that band, another thing alcohol robbed me of. Thanks for sharing tay-lyn, these cringing moments are funny, and sad, and very, very human, I think.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks NonDrinkingZone; Yes, they are funny to look back on. LOOK BACK ON, being key. They wouldn't be funny if I was still in the thick of those 'cringers'. But I haven't done anything stupid like that in awhile, and now that I've quit drinking, I intend to never have anymore to add to my repertoire! Having said that, I am quick to laugh at myself and all my silliness, happy it is in the past.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Originally Posted by tay-lyn View Post
I am quick to laugh at myself and all my silliness, happy it is in the past.
Mate, I couldn't agree more!

Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Oh, my...I almost wish you hadn't started this thread tay-lyn! It brought back a "cringer" of my own...I'm sure there were more; but, for some reason, this one always stood out vividly. Let's see if I can explain it.

I was with a few women in the tiny ladies room of my favorite bar. The gals were discussing how difficult it was to get properly fitting bras, especially if you were well-endowed. I said, "You think you have problems!?!", and opened up my blouse to bare my "girls". Just then, someone opened the door to come in, and my reflection in the mirror was there for the guys on the bandstand to see!!! I know they got a good look, because when I finally got up the nerve to come out, they quickly went into their rendition of "The Stripper"!!! What could I do but try to laugh it off and order another drink.

And, I will now sing Bob Hope's theme song, "Thanks For the Memories."
Old 02-13-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jersey Nonny;
LOL.......Most times I smile when looking back on my cringers (most of them)....God knows I've got enough of them! Of coarse there are some cringers that give me the willies and I wouldn't share them with anyone for all the money in the world.
Anyways, laughter is the best medicine and we can laugh at ourselves, even better.
Tay.