Notices

went to the counsellor and the counsellor said...

Old 01-31-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

went to the counsellor and the counsellor said...

This was my fourth visit to the alcohol counsellor. I first went to see him a month ago and told him I wanted to quit drinking. He takes a lot of notes, asks me a lot about my history, and wants to know exactly how much I drank the prior week. Well I'm being honest with him and I haven't had more than a gallon of wine in a week or a bottle of Johnny Walker Red. He told me today that I might need more help than he can provide and that I might need a two week out-patient program. That would mean two weeks of spending all day at a clinic or something. Well, I'm not going to drink again because I'm not going to no out-patient for two weeks. Maybe if he said I had to go to a spa where they give you shower massages and hot body oils I would go along.
So now I got a choice to make (again). Do I really want to stop completely or forget this counselling business and go back to my gallon (or so) a week. I think my counsellor was offended that I could go to an AA meeting then stop at the package store on the way home. I feel bad about that myself but not so bad I wouldn't do it again. I sure do feel better when I don't drink though.
I've been struggling with this for more than forty years and I'm still not sure I can give it up completely. I just dunno
Old 01-31-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our community!

As you have been to AA....you do know it takes many
of us time to actually quit drinking.

The book that convinced me to quit was
"Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketcham

We have excerpts in the Alcoholism forum
the 2nd sticky

Anyway...I took the info from "Under"
re-newed my committment to God and AA

and have not had another drink.

Do keep posting with us...we do understand
Old 01-31-2008, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

Carol took the words out of my mouth and then some.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

welcome--keep coming back-
hey...you might need a 28 day rehab....I never would have stopped without it and AA....I'd still be drinking....its worth looking into if you are commited and have the time and resources... best wishes..
Old 01-31-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
IO Storm

No more monkeys jumping on the bed....

But it took a lot more than fairy tales to get them off my back and out of my mind...

6 relapses...2 rehabs..and 4 dry knuckling..the last a miraculous intervention by my

Higher Power and the help of a dear friend...(this last time...I had "dabbled" with alcohol on and

off for a year))...but I know I needed those earlier rehabs as I had been hitting the booze daily

morning, noon, and night for at least two years prior to each entry. I was told the withdrawals

most likely would have killed me without medical supervision.

A lot depends on how long you've been drinking and the amount..the toxicity of your

system...

I truly believe..if you cannot quit..then go to detox!

And take it from there.

What I have found now working for me , "keeping" me....is AA and the 12 Steps, sober friends, a

great sponsor...

Lovingly,

Sherry
Old 01-31-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sportster,

Don't give up!

You can stop drinking and live a sober life.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What to say Hi and keep posting.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
IO Storm

1963 Comet is right Sportster...

I forgot to keep it simple...

Stay on SR and read read read and post post post.

You have friends...we are all in this thing together..any time of the day and all

thru the night.

IO
Old 01-31-2008, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Keep posting. Most important thing is not to give up. Once you do that things get worse witht he blink of an eye.

@ weeks of outpatient doesnt sound like all that much to me. The one I was refferred to is 9 months 3 days a week, 3 hours a day.

One thing I know is tghat to conquer this disease we have to do things we might not want to. Im learning that the long and hard way.

Isnt it worth the 2 weeks of your time to save your life?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support. Well I didn't drink yesterday and I don't plan to drink today. I'll make a few meetings this week and I want to be able to see my counsellor next Friday and be able to say "none" when he asks me about my drinking for the week.
I guess I have to get honest with myself like I hear at the meetings. I've been fighting this for forty years and keep trying to keep my drinking options open. I'm fortunate that it hasn't gotten so bad where it's cost me, and I haven't hurt anyone other than myself. I can see where it's taking more control of me though, as I have this daily discussion with myself about whether I will drink or not. More often than not despite all logic I find myself planning to drink and drinking.
So today I will resolve to just not drink, and if that argument comes up in my head I will tell myself to put it off until tomorrow. Then whatever I put off for tomorrow I will resolve not to think about today.
That's all I can do. Today I will just deal with today.
Thanks for listening.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi - and welcome to SR.

Most of us here understand -
it's hard to step away from the only thing we know -
even when that only thing - is pain and disappointment.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Sportster...

and you're right -- honesty will be HUGE... We all have to make that transition... starting with being honest with ourselves... then moving into being honest with others... there's no rush but it is essential.

Keep coming back here, read the stories, soak up the support and love and encouragement. Hold onto whatever you can -- you deserve a better life.

Hugs to you!

~C
Old 02-01-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Keep posting sportster... hit those meetings and not a bottle. I *will* love to read that you were able to tell the counselor zero drinks for the past week .

Last edited by gypsytears; 02-01-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Sounds like you're in a tough place. Know you should stop but not sure you want to... That's what it sounds like to me anyway. I hate that place. It's the worst.
Hang in there.