Notices

I'm Lonely & Affraid

Old 02-02-2008, 11:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Good luck Roe-Roe!

I've had a few situations like this so far. And sure, those first few minutes seeing other drink, really stirred up the urges. But once the music starts and you have something else to focus on, hopefully the urges will fade like they did for me.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Stay safe tonight. Bring your own vehicle if you can, so you can make a hasty escape if things get too close. Please let us know how it goes.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

I have not gone to see live music since I became sober. And I love music especially jazz, blues, rock, funk etc. I appreciate the music for what it is without the fluid or grass but I know if I put myself in that situation I will drink, I really dig the darkness of the back of a jazz club with a cocktail and a smoke.....its to slippery for me to go there and I miss my friends and music....good luck.....I hope all is well...when I feel I am ready I will go back....
Old 02-02-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR Roe-Roe I stuck around and got a life I love
Old 02-03-2008, 02:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I began sobriety at age 48. It was the usual "sick and tired of being sick and tired". I had been throwing up almost each morning for a year. How much fun is that? (I was also under pressure to do it quietly since niether my husband or 4 children had any idea of the problem I was dealing with.)

You would not believe all the fun I was missing, especially with my kids. I don't have to worry about answering the doorbell w/alcohol on my breath or answering the phone in a drunken stupor. I can drive the car anytime I want without wondering if I'm below .08 (hardly ever was).

I feel better, I look better and am much, much happier. The only problem that still remains is I can't seem to keep may house clean--but it's a big house w/4 kids and plenty of their friends. Big deal.

I used AA for about 5 months but was extremely uncomfortable and moved onto other methods. (You do need SOME sort of program.) I use this board, my psychiatrist (who RX's antidepressants--excellent diagnosis), my internest and mostly, a very supportive family.

It took me about 1 1/2 years until I was completly comfortable with my sobriety and didn't mind being around alcohol--others say it was a much shorter time period for them.

Hang in there. It is worth it. I was beginnig to wonder if I was going to be the only one not to see the changes associated with sobriety. Finally, I did. However, I still treat everyday as if it's my first day (and I don't count days--I focus on the present and future, not the past).

Approaching 52 and looking forward to wonderful future (including all the ups and downs).

jane
Old 02-03-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

I read the word learning and that is what recovery is all about is to re-learn or to even learn things without using ....

I for one will be learning each and every day if I keep a open mind and to try and keep my own distorted thinking at bay.

Good to see that you made it through this without drinking....

Drinking wouldn't make anything any better....