Notices

Withdrawals

Old 01-27-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Withdrawals

I’ve read some posts here that talk about withdrawals. My guess is that you don’t have to experience withdrawals to be an alcoholic – am I right?

Because I really don’t have withdrawals. . . . except maybe after a really hard night of drinking – like way more than I normally do – then I feel a little shaky the next day. Withdrawals, right?

I guess my question is what are withdrawals like, and how do I know I have them. I just quit the booze, and I am totally fine today.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe there are a range of symptoms of withdrawls, and yes you can be an alcoholic without experiencing withdrawls. Part of addiction is a mental issue too, not just a physical one. This post might help you:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 01-27-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Ferrette~

This is another thread that I found EXTREMELY interesting, tell-tale and enlightening... It has occupied many of my thoughts for the past few days since I read it...

Thanks for being here and sharing, keep coming back...?

HuGGGGGGGGGGs~

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

~C
Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I drank fairly heavily for three years, moreso for the past year. My AODA counselor told me that it would be very dangerous for me to detox outside a hospital, because of the possibility of severe withdrawals.

I spent two days sitting around a hospital room, bored out of my mind, with no more than mild tremors. So withdrawals are certainly not a universal thing. I barely had any withdrawal symptoms when I detoxed, and there's no doubt I'm an alcoholic.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the info and advice.

I think I am going to be okay. Although it looks like I might be boarderline - a doctor might recommend detox. On a typical drinking day I'd have 4-6 glasses of wine. Then I can go several days without drinking and be fine - then I'll fall off the wagon and start all over again. This last September I went the whole month w/o a drink, just to see if I could do it - then I started again. I think I'd convinced myself that I wasn't an addict. I know better now. Once I start, I just can't stop.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You said it all....

...once you start, you can't stop. You've heard it called a progressive disease. When I was in my 30's my drinking pattern was exactly like you describe yours. In the end I drank 24/7 - no amount was ever enough to achieve the original results & euphoria of when I was younger. 100 proof vodka hidden at work & all over the house, 3 DUI's, ruined relationships, it's been hell. You don't have to ever put yourself through this, Diane. I'm glad you found SR, it has been my salvation, especially the past couple of weeks.