Notices

trying........again

Old 01-26-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying........again

for as long as i can remember i've drunk-its just got out of control now-i decided on new years eve to pack in-and was drinking again by the 3rd-its just a never ending circle and i need to break it for once and for all-i've got a lot to be thankful for and i'm just wasting it-prepare to see a fair bit of me here for the next god knows how long !!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Joey. This is a good place. I visited while I was still drinking for about 2-3 weeks. Now I'm on day 21. Keep coming back! And visit the 2 weeks and under thread. It's very helpful.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome joey! Quitting is hard, but so worth it. Not giving up is key.

You need to start by remembering that the voice that starts jabbering at you about how nice it would be to have just one is LYING to you! Hard to do, I know. You can do it, you need to want it! Keep postin and don't pick up.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks folks-i know this is goin to help me-i feel sick at the thought of how much alcohol has taken control of my life and its a scary thing to think that i dont want to drink again-and the hardest part of that is knowing its GOT to be done-for the sake of my health and the fact that my 9yr old son is starting to notice me drinking-it was ok but now the daily opening of a beer is getting earlier and earler-i grew up with 2 parents that abused alcohol and it was a sh**ty childhood for me-watching that-and as far as i'm concerned my son isnt going to be going through the same emotions etc that i did as a kid
Old 01-26-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Joey, I read your posts and could have written them myself...

from NYday to the 9 year old to the parents...

Welcome and please stay... There is an endless supply of support, encouragement, experience and advice here...

HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGgs~
Old 01-26-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks theonlyway-i havent got a clue how i'm going to do it-i'm normally on my 2nd or 3rd beer by now and the night seems to be looking a bit grim without the thought of a drink being involved in it-time to raid the fridge shortly i think !!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Joey, I was just saying in another post that I'm spending a LOT of time standing in front of that fridge the past few days.

I'm convinced I can live with the extra pounds longer than I can live with the drunk concequences and hangovers...

Plus, hitting the gym is MUCH more enjoyable than starting this process over again. So, I grow... intellectually, spiritually and physically...
Old 01-26-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

to be honest i could do with a few extra pounds-i'm 6'1 and like a rake-i weigh 150 lbs-mainly due to me substituting food with alcohol-i know i'm healthy in general but i dont know how much more punishment my body can take-i've drunk for the last 15 years with the occasional dry spell-but its never lasted any more than a few weeks-i feel like i'm at a point in my life now where I need to start facing my problems head on instead of examining them through the bottom of a glass or beercan
Old 01-26-2008, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

joey, First thing first...EAT SOMETHING!!! Drink some water while your at it and most of all breathe...One step at a time....You can do this....believe in yourself....

There is so much support here and are many avenues to becoming sober, happy and free.

You can decide to turn this around, it is hard, but you know it's worth it.

Fight the fight!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i've just put myself a huge lasagne in the oven and av got the coffee lined up already ! ! my local off licence are going to think ive moved house !! lol i just hope you all dont get fed up with me posting-am normally semi drunk by this time of night and i feel really emotional right now-i know its because i want a drink and theres no way on this earth now i've made the decision to stop that i'm going to have one-i just feel like something's missing !!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Joey~
Old 01-26-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Joey,

You can do this....nothing is missing...nothing worthwhile thats for sure!

Today is the point that you can look in the rear view mirror as you put distance between you and the bottle.

Just think no hangover in the morning!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yeh but its a longggggg time til the morning !! i think once i get tonight out of the way i'll start to realise what it is am acutally going to achieve-i want to make my son's life so much better-dont take me the wrong way, he wants for nothing, but i just feel like a failure of a father-i always swore i wouldnt let him see the same things i did-and he is starting to see them exact things-could alcoholism be something thats passed from generation to generation ? its one of those questions aint it !
Old 01-26-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Originally Posted by joey8262 View Post
i just hope you all dont get fed up with me posting-am normally semi drunk by this time of night and i feel really emotional right now-

Don't worry Joey, I don't think that will happen here. If making a hundred posts keeps you from going to get a drink, KEEP POSTING!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Questions are good, and I have a 9 year old daughter, so I identify with you.

You can stop the cycle, you may not prevent your daughter from the genetic element, but you sure as hell can clean up the environment. My son is 19 and saw me at my worst, I can't change that, BUT I can change the future. My daughter will not remember me being a drinker when she is 19, neither will your son...Take the grab for freedom!
Old 01-26-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

my son will NOT have the same memories as i have-i wont let it happen-i have some really really horrible memories and i will die before i let him go through it-i'm adamant about that
Old 01-26-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

One thing is for sure you will die if you continue to drink, don't do that to you or your son. Life is not a game, no dress rehearsal. You may feel trapped, but you are not, there are no chains on you...Keep the promise to yourself...

Yoda said do or not do...there is no try...
Old 01-26-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi joey,
You sound so much like me a few months ago now. I posted a thread around the 7th nov called "enough" and was were you are now. I have managed to be given another chance. Stick with it my friend and you will beco me that person you know you should be. I have a son of 7 years old and I felt the same way as you. I now have such a good time with him now on a weekend, I look back with shame at what I was like. It is a battle and the voices saying "go on have one" i know now is the addiction talking. Be strong Joey. You can do it.
regards:ghug3