Notices

Back to Work

Old 01-25-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Red Eyes on Orange Horizons

Back to Work

I have been sober since my accident, five days to be exact. It has been difficult but not quite as hard as I had expected. I know that the days to come are going to get more intense as I get back into the swing of normal every day life and responsibilities. For the past week I have been, for the most part, confined to my apartment, and today is the last day. Tomorrow, I am scheduled to go back to work and live normally. I am starting to wonder if with the regular events, things will get harder. For the past week, I have been in pain, confined to the couch and been taken care of by the most wonderful woman. When things get back to normal, am I still going to be able to be strong? Or will I give in? I want more than anything to believe that it is going to keep going on like this, the thought comes, dismiss it, but what happens when I am having that hard day at work, and all I want is to come home and have that one glass of wine, which will no doubt to into a bottle at least?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

When things get back to normal, am I still going to be able to be strong? Or will I give in? I want more than anything to believe that it is going to keep going on like this, the thought comes, dismiss it, but what happens when I am having that hard day at work, and all I want is to come home and have that one glass of wine, which will no doubt to into a bottle at least?
That is where working a program of recovery comes in handy. They give us the tools to not drink no matter what. There are a variety of different programs out there. Here is a link to a list of them. Personally AA is the one that has worked for me. I wish you well. I know you can get through this.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Old 01-25-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR congrats on your days sober. It don't matter how or why we get here and get sober or clean. Its what we do next? I learnt about my addiction and how to live with it without self medicating and am now learning about myself and life on lifes terms not my terms

I can't do this alone I need other addicts to stand beside. I work the program of NA and try to live by those spritual principles, there are a few programs and some do it with counselling, best to have a plan and take the action in it.

Kevin
Old 01-25-2008, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I use the Women for Sobriety Program, Nandm gave you the link.

Take lots of snacks to work with you, protein and carbs, stay away from sugar, except in an emergency, the highs and lows of a sugar rush are not pleasant.
Drink lots of water.
Change your routine, watch out for negative people and watch your thinking.
Take a different route home from work, plan something yummy for supper, eat as soon as you get home, have a bath instead of a shower, get into your PJ's, and come here and let us know how it went.
You Can Do This.
hugs Seren
Old 01-25-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Red Eyes on Orange Horizons

Thank you

Thank you, to everyone, for your support! It is very much needed and appreciated!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

If you are serious about getting sober you have to rush into a new lifestyle. Start by going to AA, CDA or NA meetings. Get a sponsor, work the steps etc.

Put your recovery from addiction before everything else and the rest will fall into place.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Aret. Welcome to SR. I'm glad you found your way to the forums. I'm not very good at explaining the technical stuff on the computer.

Just hang in there and take it one day at a time. Keep reading and posting on here.

Barb