Notices

I Need Advice On How To Control Urges

Old 01-25-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Need Advice On How To Control Urges

hi im on day 4 of journey to a clean and sober life but sometimes i get urges!i used crack cocaine so if anybody has any suggestions it would really help!!!thanks!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Never used coke or crack...but when I get a drinking urge, I just..work through it...try and remember the bad bits kind of thing...thinking about the consequences really - I was never big on that while drinking...

Urges suck, but they do pass and you can get through them

D
Old 01-25-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not a crack addict but for me as a recovering drunk to stay away from a drink when
I get the urge or thought to get one I say the serenity prayer 100 times and it usually
works but that's me we all find our methods to cope when we want to stay clean bad enough.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Ringo, nice 2 have u back 2day...

thought... think about your little one that was teething last night... the pain, the desire to make it go away... and they just really have to *stick it out*...

Someone once told me... 'the only way past the pain is to go THROUGH it'... this i believe.

i wish I had more help to offer, but I'm sending you the most positive vibes I can summon.

Remember how good it feels to be clean... I see that repeated here a lot.

Hold on..... we're rooting for you.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have a plan in place so if and when the urge to use strikes you'll be prepared.
Do you have someone you can call? Sometimes, the best thing I can do is to get moving. That means getting off my behind, going out for a drive, for a coffee, to the movies, for a brisk walk, or throw on some music and start cleaning my house. Brush your teeth, sing a song, take a shower, burn some incense. Come here, read your posts, read our posts, type how you are feeling.
Cravings can be intense in the beginning, and you will learn to recognize that seductive addict voice that will tell you it knows what you need. Don't listen to it! It's lying!
Most important, remember that they do pass. They can be painful, but they do pass, and the more you can get through them,the stronger you will be for the next time one occurs. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Red Eyes on Orange Horizons

contol

Congratulations on your four days! I am on day five of being sober, I put the bottle down. Anyways, I used coke ever day for about 2 years, couldn't function without it, wouldn't even get out of bed in the morning. I know it is a bit of a different thing, but I can promise it does get easier. You will feel so much better after about a week without it, I know when your using it you feel on top of the world and your afraid to lose that feeling, but at the bottom you really are at that point, you will soon realize that. I don't know that the urges ever truly go away or if they are just more subtle, I still have them every once in a while, my problem however, was when I quit I replaced the coke with alcohol, which was just as bad but in my mind I thought it was ok because it was legal, and now I am left battling another addiction. Just be strong, you will realize how much it was holding you back, and how much better you feel that it's out of your body.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am going through the same thing. And that is such a hard question to answer. But I have found that you definately gotta ride it out and find anything to occupy your mind. And it seems like forever. I know. I use to just shut down and then give in. But I cant do that anymore. It is all psychological. So the key is to get your mind off it anyway possible. It is possible.
I hope you find what distracts you.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your Quote...

Originally Posted by theonlyway View Post
Hi Ringo, nice 2 have u back 2day...

thought... think about your little one that was teething last night... the pain, the desire to make it go away... and they just really have to *stick it out*...

Someone once told me... 'the only way past the pain is to go THROUGH it'... this i believe.

i wish I had more help to offer, but I'm sending you the most positive vibes I can summon.

Remember how good it feels to be clean... I see that repeated here a lot.

Hold on..... we're rooting for you.
I was just was puttering about and reading the advice and knowledge from past postings and came across this. The Teething anecdote was flawless in that sense that it is exactly what inevitably one has to do. Stick it out and go through the pain. I thought your quote was cool. :bounce
Old 01-25-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I kicked pharmaceuticals, working out & reading books both helped a lot.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Workin' them angels overtime!

Just to add something I have personally experienced: fighting the urge of smoking rocks is extraordinarily hard - but it is possible - I know it sounds silly, but when I was withdrawing from this particular substance a few months ago, I chewed a bunch of ice and smoked countless cigarettes and paced around my apartment until I was exhausted. I know I'm not much help, and right now my biggest problem is the drink problem - but I have been in that place. Ice helps.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

An urge is a thought, just that, learn to be in charge of your thinking.

My mind is full of anything I chose to put into it.

Make a list of all the things you can do when you have urges......make a long list......pick one and do it , pick two and do them.

Make plans for when you are not at work, get busy in your life.

Come here and post for support, reach out and help others, I found that was very helpful to me.

Know that urges don't have to be acted upon.

Good luck to you
Seren