Notices

For Those With Less than 2 weeks Sober Part 2

Old 01-26-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day 8

So here I am on Day 8. I can hardly believe it. I had a tough meeting yesterday, and had to drive back home in the snow 30 miles, passing 4-5 different stores that called out to me to stop and buy wine. But I didn't. Miraculous.

Then when I finally got to my exit, it was totally blocked by 18 wheelers pulled off to put on their chains to go through the chain check before the summit. So I had to sit in bumper to bumper traffic through the chain check, drive 15 extra miles to the next exit and then back, which took almost another hour. At which point I'm so furious I'm yelling and cursing. And then I went home. I did not stop at the general store near my house and buy wine. Very miraculous.

Even with my medication, I didn't sleep much last night, five hours. But I don't feel too bad.

I really should blog. I'm so longwinded. By the time I get done with my own story, I've forgotten the supportive words I want to send to everyone else.

Oh well. Hang in there, everybody. Today I'm going skiing with my husband and my two youngest kids. It should be a lot of fun, as long as I stay away from the bar in the lodge.

Jana
Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Originally Posted by theonlyway View Post

Last night -- SEVENTEEN people (i live in oh, so, small town USA)... I listened... most stories were great experiences to know, --and be afraid of... but when it got down to the wire and i was put on the spot, in a way, ... in a good way... but I couldn't do it. I had all these things lined up in my head to say... but suddenly said My name is... and I'll pass...

SIGH
Don't be too hard on yourself. I imagine it will happen when you're comfortable and ready. The main thing is you're going to the meetings. And regardless of what that one guy said, if you take one thing away from it that helps you, great. Congrats on day 6

And congrats on day 8 Vashti.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Vashti~ Congrats on making it through your *testy* Day!

Hopefully it makes today seem like a piece of cake!

Thanks SF~
Old 01-26-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi guys, Day 8 for me also.

Congrats on your 8 days too Vashti.

I'm proud of you theonlyway for going to your meetings. Don't worry about what that guy was talking about. It wasn't you if you were thinking that. It sounds like to me he was talking about people that lie in the rooms. I've seen that. Those people are still in denial.

Take care everyone and hang in there. You only have to worry about today.

Barb
Old 01-26-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi folks. Im back. I slipped an fell, both literally and figuratively, last night. i drank wine, and it put me on the floor. This will be my 3rd day 1.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

welcome back trakin --

Thanks for sharing...... and for being here....

Day 1 is going to be a better day than yesterday -- hold onto your hope and know your Loved......

HUGGGGGGGs
Old 01-26-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That's okay Trakin. I think anyone with any significant amount of time started off with false-starts. I'm on day 21, but that's after a month of trying beforehand. Just keep at it. We're here if you need us.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Rob From Canada eh!!

just get back on the horse

Originally Posted by trakin View Post
Hi folks. Im back. I slipped an fell, both literally and figuratively, last night. i drank wine, and it put me on the floor. This will be my 3rd day 1.
Hi Trakin,

Okay you fell down, physically falling down I hope you are okay

But falling off the wagon, the important thing is you are back here and back on the horse (wagon) we are here for you

Rob
Old 01-26-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

yesterday someone came into the chat room i think drunk as hell they wanted help but i just listened. Then i explaned I needed to go to bed and they were like thanks alot mccribb. I forgot the handle though. Is there any proceduers to do for that. Should i have called someone in.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Mcribb- I think if you listened to someone, and they thanked you, then you did as much as you could do. The whole amazing thing about AA is that none of us are trained, and the only people that help us are other drunks.

We are alcoholics helping each other just because we are there, and we can't do it alone. I think you did everything right - so thanks. You might have really helped that person, just by lending an ear.

Trakin - you're ok, welcome back! I'll save a spot for you in the other thread (you better come visit us!), don't be too hard on yourself. One day at a time, at least you won't have to go through awful withdrawal symptoms for a week this time!

As a wine drinker, I would ask what it was that you drank, but I don't think I want to know...

take care guys, and looking forward to welcoming a few of you in the other thread (Mr. Patch, Scaredykat, SF69, Vashti, theonlyway - any others?)
Old 01-26-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Days 1

Trakin--I've had more than my fair share of Day 1s also. I'm proud that you've come back here right away. It may seem counterintuitive, but in a way I think we're all on Day 1. I may be technically on Day 8, but really I'm just on Day 1, for the eighth day in a row.

Your posts have been very insightful. Stay with us. I'm sending all the strength I can your way.

On a lighter note, we had a wonderful day today skiiing--my husband, son and youngest daughter (5). She has just gotten the hang of it, and now we can barely keep up ;-) It was beautiful, sunny day, and I didn't even want to sneak off to the bar when we came into the lodge.

OnlyWay, SF, Barb and of course Mr. Patch--thanks to all of you. This thread has been a lifesaver for me.

Peace,

Jana
Old 01-26-2008, 08:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Trakin~ Hopefully this finds you feeling better and stronger... Physically, emotionally, and confidently...

Jana~ I like your Day 1 for the 8th day comment... As day 6 comes to a close, I don't feel like day 1 (hungover and non-functioning)... or like Day 2 (scared of the realization I was making, the step I was determined to take, my first AA meeting)... but 3 through 6, I haven't felt any more enlightened, stronger, less craving or even more energy...

Your day with your family sounds like it was heavenly!

NDZ~ Thanks for the reserved seating... Making my way down the aisle and looking for my seat in that crowd.

and hey -- Mr. Patch... how's that Honey Do list going? --or maybe I should ask how's the headache?

Night All!!~

HuGGGGGGGGGs~~~~~~~~~
Old 01-26-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Reporting for check-in on day 9!!!

I had a very busy day. I ended up driving over 300 miles today to pick up my granddaughter and then rescue my sister-in-law to bring her to stay with us for a while.

She needs some good company and a safe place to be and that is here. So, we have had our little family grow from 4.5 (we have the granddaughter on weekends) to 5.5! I guess in families, the more the merrier...

Trakin: Just a few words of encouragement, you may have slipped and fell, but you are picking yourself up today and that is what counts.

Vashti & Scaredykat: Congrats on day 8! (we'll be graduating soon!)

Vashti: Next time you are stuck in traffic and the snow... Why not start a snowball fight, could take out some good agressions! (Tee Hee)

Well, off to bed for me. Thanks again for helping me reach day 9... I wasn't so sure I'd make it, but here I am and I feel GREAT!
Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

NDZ: Thanks for saving me a seat... 5 more days... And I WILL make it this time.

Theonlyway: Well, did I mention above that my sister-in-law is now here? My honey-do's may have just doubled... I just hoping that I'm not (digging my own hole)

Just kidding, I think having her here will help in my recovery. One more person who cares about me and my sobriety. In fact she will even go to meetings with me if I ask her. (she has in the past.)

Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Welcome back trakin...
I had 3 day 1's in 3 weeks so as long as you keep coming back and trying that's the main thing....
As the wise Rowan always says, never give up giving up.
Peace
M xx
Old 01-26-2008, 09:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Red face My first time givin up

this is the first time i have really tried to stop drinking. this is the first time i have realised that i really need to. in the last three months i have wrecked my car and lost my job because of drinking. i think i can get through this and i am happy that i have found a place that can help. i have not had a drink in 8 days
Old 01-26-2008, 09:43 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by zplohr View Post
this is the first time i have really tried to stop drinking. this is the first time i have realised that i really need to. in the last three months i have wrecked my car and lost my job because of drinking. i think i can get through this and i am happy that i have found a place that can help. i have not had a drink in 8 days
Welcome to SR.

Glad you found us. Please feel free to check out the rest of our forums as well. If you get a chance consider starting a new thread in the newcomers section to introduce yourself. It is a good way to let others know you are here and find some good support.

If you have not considered or are not using a program of recovery here is a link listing the different types of programs available. Many people find it easier to stop and stay stopped by using one of these programs. Personally I was unable to stop and stay stopped until I found a recovery program.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Old 01-26-2008, 09:43 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Mr. Patch, you are so positive - just came on to make my day 3 official, but reading your posts are so uplifting it's contagious. You sure have a lucky family

Day 3 went ok. I don't feel so hot and I think I spent half the day on here, but all in all, I can't complain. I hope I sleep tonight - and that tomorrow I feel good enough to start getting my behind in gear and catch up with some housework.

Goodnight everybody,
Kris
Old 01-26-2008, 10:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Trakin - As i was told don't beat your self up over it and just try again.

Welcome zplohr. Glad your here with us.

I don't have much to say tonight. I'm feeling really grumpy. Wrote about it on the whiners thread. But I'm sober. That is the most important thing i always have to place first. My recovery.

Barb
Old 01-26-2008, 11:05 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

tonight sucked, not because i wanted a drink but because the night sucked. I work and go to sleep work and go to sleep. I don't want to hit the bars because i don't want to be around idiots and beer, i also don't want to be in my place because i don't want to be alone I went out tonight with some girls and guys after work and it was just a pain in the ass. People bumping into me lound music you can't talk. It was my first time trying to get out for awhile i just sat there and wanted to go home so i went home and now it sucks here too obvouisly just sitting here on my ass like i do every night. I guess this is what life is all about working all week and staring at the clock waiting for death. Awesome