Notices

Brought to my knees once again

Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hugs and support to you, hevyn. you made me cry.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Thanks for your sharing and honestly Hevyn. I'm glad you're back .
Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow, Joanie, what a great post and so full of honesty.

And, I agree with you about Kevin, he is a great source of inspiration and comfort here.

You have reminded me how quickly we can get back to the alcoholic ways - the sneaking and hiding things - I hated that and it's such a relief to be done with it.

You can do this!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Joanie

Glad that you found the courage to post this and forward you go! Progress sweets not perfection! I have faith in you-
Old 01-25-2008, 11:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
believer

Thank you for those words...
Old 01-25-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Joanie...I'm soooooo glad to "see" you. Of course, we're all happy to have you back. But, at the risk of having anyone jump all over me...if we just keep coming, there would be no need to keep coming back. Does that make sense?

Just read the posts of those who have relapsed, and it's obviously easier to stay clean and sober than to try to recover over and over again. This is a progressive disease...which means it gets harder and harder to get over the withdrawals. Eventually, it may become so difficult...well, there are those who never make it back.

It's wonderful to be able to welcome back those we've come to care so much about...but, how about those we've come to know, and then they drop off the board, never to be heard from again? We can only imagine what horrors they might be going through...that's if they're still alive!

When I was still having fun partying, I lost many so-called friends through alcohol abuse. We would all commiserate over the loss...go to the funeral...go back to the bar, and have a few drinks to the memory of "the dear departed". A few even quit, and I would run into them years later at AA meetings; but, there were many more who died than made it into the rooms. PLEASE, my friends, have a healthy fear and respect for this disease...it truly is A KILLER!

OK...I'll get off the soapbox now!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wink You like me...!

Last night when I went to bed not many had viewed my thread & I was afraid maybe some were thinking I was a hypocrite, or that the post was too wordy and dull, etc. (typical alcoholic paranoia!). When I saw the responses today I felt 100 times better for all the support I received. I cried - tears of gratitude for the encouragement you've given me. If I've helped anyone with my story, it will all have been worth it. Every day the fog lifts a little more, the fear has subsided - but I don't want to ever forget what I just went through. I don't have it in me to come back again, I almost didn't make it out this time. I promise next time I'll post if I feel weak or somehow lose my resolve.

Jersey, I worry all the time about the ones who pour their hearts out, and then disappear. Maybe someday they'll find their way back to us.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:18 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Last night when I went to bed not many had viewed my thread & I was afraid maybe some were thinking I was a hypocrite, or that the post was too wordy and dull, etc. (typical alcoholic paranoia!). When I saw the responses today I felt 100 times better for all the support I received. I cried - tears of gratitude for the encouragement you've given me. If I've helped anyone with my story, it will all have been worth it. Every day the fog lifts a little more, the fear has subsided - but I don't want to ever forget what I just went through. I don't have it in me to come back again, I almost didn't make it out this time. I promise next time I'll post if I feel weak or somehow lose my resolve.
Hi Hevyn,

I have been thinking of you and your post since I read it last night. You helped me renew my resolve to quit drinking forever. Because of you, I have felt so strong today. Now that I'm 40 days in, I have to be so careful not to take my sobriety for granted. This is deadly stuff we are dealing with and there is so much to lose. I have two small children who need dad to be strong and to fight alcoholism tooth & nail. Thank you so much & God bless.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

(((Joanie))) Thank you so much for your post. I am so glad that you are back with us and ready to move on with the life that is waiting for you! Love, Jomey
Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

hey hevyn...glad you made it back into recovery. your story is honest and open and makes me take notice to how ive been living my own life. every night was a party of one for me. this is day 2 sober for me. i am glad i found this place.

patti
Old 01-28-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

You like me...!
Joanie...I missed your impersonation of Sally Field!

How are "we" doing today!?! It's been pretty good for me so far.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Joanie...I missed your impersonation of Sally Field!

D
Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

So....you screwed up-but you got it-and you came back I'm so glad you came back.I've done the same too recently.But I just wanted to say-you have courage and more strength than you know.That's why you're still here.It's why I'm still here too.Good for you.

Julesxox
Old 01-29-2008, 01:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey!
welcome back to you too, Jules - missed you

D
Old 08-14-2008, 04:51 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Smile awesome !!

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It came out of nowhere. After New Year's I met a friend for lunch. She ordered a beer. WITHOUT GIVING IT A SINGLE THOUGHT, I did too. No little warning voice came. That "one beer" led to over 2 weeks of 24/7 drinking. Back to my old trick of going to the store after my husband left for work to buy more so he wouldn't know how much I drank during the day, back to staying up until 4am, back to picking fights and being confrontational, back to not answering the phone or door, back to shutting everyone out and feeling that my life is pointless. Towards the end of 2 weeks I got out of bed and stood there, gripping the bureau to steady myself. From deep in my soul came a prayer, "Please raise me up out of this hell - just one more time!" A strange calm came over me. I can only imagine what my blood alcohol level might have been at that moment, but I knew what I had to do. I got on SR and searched for the thread from Dec. 4 titled, "Quitting, what to expect, what we did." (Bless you, CarolD) Beer in hand, I read every post. I knew I was in danger and had to be careful. My heartfelt thanks to all of you who posted on that thread, the long and scary posts by Jfnagle, Tazman, GreenTea, RobB, Rusty & Astro especially. I'm forever indebted to you all, for I feel you helped save my life. Trying to do the right thing, I went to a doctor I'd never seen before. The appointment was beyond bizarre. He asked how much I drank. When I told him he said, "Why do you drink so much? What's wrong at home?" Huh?!? I told him I was quitting and was afraid to stop abruptly. He said he wouldn't prescribe anything to help calm my nerves because it would be hard on my liver. He said to cut my drinking down to a 6-pack a day. Alrighty then! After that, I knew I was on my own. With no insurance right now, I couldn't afford the thousands it would cost for detox, but I had a plan. I bought some good vitamins (especially B) and nutritious food - I'd been living off the beer, not eating. My plan was to slowly wean myself off the beer, less each day until I felt I could stop altogether. On the last day I just sipped a few. They tasted bitter and like poison. I poured the last one down the drain on Jan. 15. I looked like absolute hell, blood red eyes with a terrible, fearful look in them, ghostly white skin. During my do-it-yourself detox, as I lay in bed quivering, terrified to fall asleep because I was afraid I wouldn't wake up - all the things we've discussed on SR kept running through my mind. All your stories, all your setbacks, all your triumphs. Because of you, I didn't waste time feeling sorry for myself or whine about losing my sober time. Because of you, I'm not ashamed or discouraged. Because of you, this time it's different - I'm happy and excited, something that was lacking before. I'm not grieving over this, I'm not taking a backward step. Maybe I needed still further proof of what we're dealing with here. It is the end of the road for me. I can't dance with the devil again, next time I'll not make it out alive, I feel certain of that. I love you my SR family, and the things I've said in the past about your importance in my life still hold true!! I would have asked for your help, if only I'd seen this coming. I'd also like to add that I'm in awe of those of you who are trying to get well when you have children, careers, and other health issues to deal with. I am so thankful to be back among the living, ready to do battle with our disease once again. Love, Joanie

I would like to dedicate this thread to Nogard (Kev) who means more than he knows to his SR family. His current thread inspired me to tell my story, since he's always had the courage to share his.
Joanie,

how awesome are you??
YAY !!!

Robby
Old 08-14-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thoughtful of you to resurrect this, Robby, since I'm almost at 7 mos. and it's looking like that January binge really was my last time. I haven't wavered, but honestly haven't been all that thrilled each and every day-especially in the beginning. No temptations that I couldn't handle, though - so I hope this will encourage you all to keep going, since I was 25+ yrs. a heavy drinker and tried to stop probably 100 times. SR is the only thing I did different this time, and it worked magic for me. You've all played a part in my getting well, and I love you my friends.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
IO Storm

I am so glad you still doing well Hevyn.... :ghug3: