Notices

Different obsessions of the mind and body

Old 01-23-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

Different obsessions of the mind and body

Well, even though I haven't drank or drugged in a long time, the obsession of the mind and body manifests itself in other forms. 10-11 months ago I woke up one day fueled by this magnficent purpose to get in shape. I started going to the gym everyday and eating well. The results came quick and were amazing. However, this new-found passion gradually became obsessive. On Monday I had a huge wakeup call when I underwent something called a Bod Pod test at my gym which accurately determines body fat%. I was 5.0% body fat, which is dangerous. Immediately I was vaulted into a deep, dark, lonely place. Fitness and nutrition had become an obsession of the mind and body just like alcohol used to be. My health was a risk.

I will continue to work out and eat well, but will certainly eat larger quantities of food in more frequent intervals. Additionally, I will be consuming more healthy fats (such as those found in peanut butter) and fat supplements like Omega 3 fish oils (healthy fats found in cold water fish).

As sobriety becomes extended, our disease will rear its ugly head in different incarnations. As long as we dont pick up a drink, we have a chance everyday to get better. Thank God for sobriety!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Sometimes obsession and compulsion can go beyond a physical work out, reading too much, no enough meetings, or too many meetings, not eating McDonald's or eating too much Wendy's, but just in trying to do too many things to improve ourselves, and not just going a long with what is.

I know that for me I can get so wrapped up into making things different than just letting the course of life take itself.

The other day I was thinking to myself, Vic your not a very Spiritual Person at all! Well who am I to judge where my spirituality is and it certainly isn't my job to do so.

I was thinking maybe you should try reading more Spiritual Books, or reading your Recovery Books more, or this or that....

Than I realized something...

Maybe if I just got back to doing the basics, things would be OK. My mind can become my worst enemy...it was my own thinking that got me where I am today....

So today I just try to do whatever is in front of me and not to worry about all that stuff...for it is that stuff that kept me sick.

Good post thanks for sharing your recovery with us.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Chicago, I work out too and understand that it can become an obsession, I deal with this by making sure I talk to others about what I am doing and a sanity check every so often.

Kevin
Old 01-23-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find being a lazy SOB helps me avoid this obsession :bounce

LOL
D