Notices

Hi - new and hopefully quitting tomorrow

Old 01-20-2008, 10:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi - new and hopefully quitting tomorrow

Hi - just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the info I've gotten from lurking... hoping tomorrow's the day, but been there, done that, so we'll see.

If I manage it, I'll be posting tomorrow - I need all the help I can get I think about quitting every night/morning, but usually start around noon, so thats when I'll be bugging you all to death. I'm kind of a weirdo - but have seen a few similar posts that made me feel not so alone... never black out... never... I don't know, anything. No rock bottom moment - which I'm gratefull for, god knows, but at the same time, there's no huge push, nothing I can't ignore for another day. What I do is "maintain". Drink throughout the day. A LOT. Hide it in coffee cups, lots of mouthwash and gum.

Been doing it for years, and it's unbelievable to me that this is me. Never would have thunk it I'm not kidding myself anymore, I know that I'm killing myself by the day.

Anyway, thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 10:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're 1/12th of the way there.

Stick around, it's good here.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Hi Krissy, welcome to SR!

Admitting that you have to do something about drinking is the hardest step, I reckon. It took me a long time to get the courage to ask for help, so I applaud you.

As you know, there's lots of folks here who will be more than willing to help you out.

Me, I quit drinking 35 days ago - I managed to get through last year working full time and studying full time, but it cost me my dignity, my fiance, and almost my job (and I failed a subject).

I was surviving, but it was destroying me. And I used to hide it too (at work, me and the guy next to me would drink wine for the last 3 hours in coffee cups), I used to drink wine for breakfast on the weekends, and often before I went to work.

Now that I have made the decision to just surrender, admit I am powerless over alcohol and ask for help from anywhere I can get it, it's like a huge weight off my shoulders. In all honesty, I feel like a million bucks and I didn't know it was possible before. I think the lies and the secrets do as much damage as the drinking, in their own way... hmmm (i'll have to think more about that).

Anyhoo, I wish you all the best - you're in a good place!

ndz
Old 01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
taking it one day at a time

Welcome Krissy,

Plenty of help & support here
Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see a new member...
Welcome to SR!
Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You know we are always here.
You don't have to go through this alone.
Keep reaching out!!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was surviving, but it was destroying me. And I used to hide it too (at work, me and the guy next to me would drink wine for the last 3 hours in coffee cups), I used to drink wine for breakfast on the weekends, and often before I went to work.
Wow - exactly... Thank you.

In all honesty, I feel like a million bucks and I didn't know it was possible before. I think the lies and the secrets do as much damage as the drinking, in their own way... hmmm (i'll have to think more about that).
I'm really happy for you - that's awesome

but it cost me my dignity, my fiance, and almost my job (and I failed a subject).
I'm sorry you had to go through that. I kind of have the opposite situation with my husband.

Thanks again
Old 01-20-2008, 11:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Krissy. Just keep at it, and keep coming back here. It's worked for many of us.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good luck quitting!