Notices

73 days and questioning

Old 01-19-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

73 days and questioning

I have not drank for this long and tonight I was thinking that since I have been so successful with this maybe I am really not alcoholic. Is there any way to know for sure?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you thought you drank to much when you were drinking, you could have problems. That has even crossed my mind and I have not drank in 7 years. But I look back and I remembered I drank way to much.

I have read here that people that just quit on there own might not be alcoholic. But I know in my heart that I would abuse it again. And I don't want to take that chance. Only because the abuse will lead to dependency. I know people that cannot stop. And I do not want to go through that if I don't have to.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by sweetnovember View Post
I have not drank for this long and tonight I was thinking that since I have been so successful with this maybe I am really not alcoholic. Is there any way to know for sure?
If that was me and it was in early days that would be my sneaky ******* voice of addiction, so I would qualify as an addict yet again. Adivice I got was no hurry to make any decision, don't pick up and get with others not picking up either.

Kevin
Old 01-19-2008, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi!

For me I had to learn the hard way, i had to test it again...It was 100times worse for me the second time around But being the alcoholic I am I couldnt listen to everyone elses experience, I had to prove I was different and the "exception" to the rule! ha! FILE THAT UNDER NEVER!!

But in the big book of AA it tells to step off to the nearest bar and try to drink like a gentleman "lady" in my case and if we can do their hats are off to us! For me i could control it for about 2 weeks and then i was right back to where i left off and even worse

Well good luck to you...maybe look in your local newspaper and look at the accidents and duis, thats what i do...
Old 01-19-2008, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Perhaps you need to remember why you decided to quit
in the first place.

When my drinking was fun..not causing any problems...
it never occurred to me to stop.

Sooo...ask yourself why you decided to quit and
why is drinking a toxic liquid so important?

Many people who are not alcoholics do not drink.
They choose to be healthy rather
than alter their natural brain chemistry.

Please read this link before you drink again

Alcohol Chemistry and You

Blessings

Last edited by CarolD; 01-19-2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 01-20-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You may or not be, but isn't life better without the alcohol? For me it is. Also, there was no doubt for me. Twelve years (today!) after the day I quit I can still remember how bad it was. I don't want to go back - ever. Stick around and I'm sure you'll feel the same.
Mike
Old 01-20-2008, 05:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Would it help at all for you to know that there's not an aocoholic alive ...
who hasnt said and done the same thing?
at about the same time?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Lurker

See normal drinkers do not think this way. It is only the sick that have all these questions. In my opion of course. If I were you I would stay sober, and do some reading on the disease. The BB would be prefered.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

A tried and tested way to know for sure is to drink again. Repeat as necessary til you decide. But that's kinda like shooting yourself to see if bullets still hurt.

Really - think back to why you quit...those reasons must be as valid today 70+ days later.

Everyone thinks this way at some time in recovery. Some fall because of it. Don't be one of them.

D
Old 01-20-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are all right and I didn't go back. I just need to work harder on my thinking. Sometimes it is hard for me to maintain my resolve to stay sober but I also know that during this time I have really gotten my act together in so many areas of my life. Thanks for all your words of support.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I felt that way once and went to test the waters and I got BURNED really bad. Worse off than ever. So the thinking that I wasn't an alcoholic was totally fraudulant because I AM or otherwise I wouldn't be here seeking help for my problem. People who are not alcoholics don't have to ask their self "am I an alcoholic" because their drinking doesn't cause problems that lead them to ask that question.

So... write down the reasons why you quit and keep those firmly in your mind.

You will get so much healthier in your life without the booze.. then you'll be glad you put it down and embraced the gifts of recovery.
Blessings~