SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Back again... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/141792-back-again.html)

Otis 01-16-2008 05:03 PM

Back again...

I jumped off the wagon when my dog died, then came my 21 year old son... I have tried and failed several times since my son got drunk and killed himself last August. I have been studying and analyzing AA and their 12 steps, I think that I understand their method of bringing alcoholics to dealing with their disease and the stressors that push us to surrender to the disease. I will be quitting again soon with new found understanding and participation in AA and of course Sober recovery. I think that with AA and you guys for backup that I can quit for good this time. I know that I can count on you guys to support me!

C2H5OH_Free 01-16-2008 05:12 PM

Good luck Otis. We will be here for you when you are ready.

Mandarina 01-16-2008 05:15 PM

Hi and welcome.

Good luck with quitting, seems that you will be well prepared. When are you planning to quit? Hope you don't leave it too long, but we'll be here when you're ready.

Best wishes,
Mandarina

Spiritual Seeker 01-16-2008 05:18 PM

The only req. for AA is a "desire to quit" You have met the requirement, so good luck to you as surrender to the miracle of sobriety.You must navigate the narrow path out of your own grief. The only sound way is to do it with a clear and unmedicated mind.

Otis 01-16-2008 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mandarina (Post 1640959)
When are you planning to quit?

Soon, I have to be prepaired this time! I wont be "white knuckeled" sober again...

Anna 01-16-2008 05:23 PM

Otis,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your son. I cannot imagine the pain you must feel. And, our pets are our familiy too.

I'm glad you're back!

nogard 01-16-2008 05:25 PM

Welcome back Otis :)

Otis 01-16-2008 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by 51anna (Post 1640967)
our pets are our familiy too.

Yes they are!

trakin 01-16-2008 05:47 PM

Otis, My heart really goes out to you. I am so sorry you've suffered such a terrible loss. I think you are very brave to be here trying to get well. I wish you the very best. Hugs, Trakin

Otis 01-16-2008 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by trakin (Post 1640996)
Otis, My heart really goes out to you. I am so sorry you've suffered such a terrible loss. I think you are very brave to be here trying to get well. I wish you the very best. Hugs, Trakin

Thank you Trakin...
I will need your support as I face my demons...

Blake'sTyger 01-16-2008 06:50 PM

I'm pretty confident when I say you'll have the support of everyone here Otis! Welcome back, and I hope your initiation into sobriety begins the very second you feel you're ready.

All the best,

B'sT

nodrinkingzone 01-17-2008 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by trakin (Post 1640996)

I couldn't have said it better myself. Welcome back, and all the best for your recovery. I can't imagine what you're going through, but I know that this is a good place to be.

dave47 01-17-2008 10:56 AM

Welcome back Otis, and best wishes with your recovery.

Luckyv2 01-17-2008 11:38 AM

Welcome!

I can so relate to the loss of a pet! They are sometimes or should I say most of the times more understanding and loving than us humans. I had to live through 10 days knowing that my Lucky was going to be put to sleep. Doing everything that I could to save him and his life. It was one of the hardest things that I have had to live through.

I seen already mentioned the third tradition. So yeah that is the only requirement is the desire to stop. You don't have to be sober when you arrive at AA/NA we only suggest that you try to keep coming back!....

I know that SR has a HUGE amount of support and this site has helped me so much in the years that I have been a member. So Keep coming back and post. Doesn't matter what you need to talk about there is always someone here that will let ya know that you are not alone.!!!!