Notices

When was your "wake up" call?

Old 01-13-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I may have had mine. Just got caught by security for ----lifting. Civil fine but no police. I almost always to these things while drinking! Humiliating and embarassing.... I'm even paranoid about posting this. Should I be?
Old 01-13-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Some peoples "wake up call" comes too late. Picture yourself laying in a hospital bed handcuffed to the rail. A Police Officer who's guarding you asks if you know what you did last night.
Is that when you want your "Wake up Call" to come?
Your wake up call comes whenever you're ready for it and no sooner.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had a few overdoses, but I always figured it was a miscalculation or just a stupid mistake. These never stopped me. I think there wasn't just one wake up call, but a few things added up. Spending last thanksgiving in a psych hospital was a part of it. Sitting on my couch with a shotgun contemplating my next move was pretty bad, cutting myself so bad I had to go to the hospital was another one (all of these happened when I was drunk, and when I really didn't want to drink but had to). My last drunk was particularly bad, I was puking out of the window in my bedroom at 1AM, and was just sitting there thinking that this HAS to stop. The next day I was in bed all day and decided to go to AA just out of desperation. I fit into the group of recovering alcoholics who have severe emotional problems from drinking, and can't live any longer feeling so crappy that dying seems like an acceptable option.

All of the emotional problems still persist, yet not as severely and I am hoping with work I can regain a sense of happiness and not have to resign myself to a life of misery.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My addiction telling me what to do....

My wake up call is my addiction telling me what to do. Especially that anxious, tense feeling like I have to have it. That's my "wake up" call!

Addiction doesn't control me! I control me!!

Old 01-13-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Mine was waking up after the office Xmas party with two broken ribs, covered in bruises, a week after my fiance left me because of my drinking.

I still drank a bottle of wine for breakfast that morning, and that's the last drink I ever had. I went to my first AA meeting the following day.

That being said, I've had a few wake up calls ove rthe years, but I guess it never really sank in until this time around. I'm too old for this ****.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My wake-up call was the blackouts. Once I started getting them, I knew I had more than . I guess there were probably other things along the way that could have been considered wakeup calls, but until the blackouts started coming, I kept pushing the snooze button.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is the way I finally decided to quit...

Depression was my shadow ..without or with alcohol
Everything I did involved drinking...or I did not do it.
All manner of weird and distructive actions happened

I detested the woman in my mirror.

God and AA have changed all of that dismal existance.

You too can find the health and joy of sobriety.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trakin View Post
My wake-up call was the blackouts. Once I started getting them, I knew I had more than . I guess there were probably other things along the way that could have been considered wakeup calls, but until the blackouts started coming, I kept pushing the snooze button.
This is almost word for word what I was going to write!

It was the blackouts for me too. I'm incredibly lucky that I always woke up at home or at a friends place and always in one piece (except once at the ER - apparently I tripped on the street and was knocked unconsious).

I got sick of waking up bruised and having no idea what happened or people saying hello to me and I would not know who they were. Having to pretend to know what my friends were talking about after big nights out.

It seems so surreal when I write it down, like science fiction or something. Not having control over your own body and mind half the time...what kind of a life is that?
Old 01-13-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

CID
when i finally realized i had the dime in my pocket all those years, and i decided to use it!

good wishes CID

rz
Old 01-13-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

mine came last week when I was sober for 6 days and tried to take a week off got drunk my friend had to baby sit me at the bar. Woke up my dad calls asked if i had a rough night to help get over my hang over I drank some whiskey before work. got sick at work and had to drive home felt like i was going to die all the way home. Drank in the morning check, drank and drive check, missed work check, let alchohol effect my life check. Time for me to step up and grow up
Old 01-13-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've had many wake-up calls - it seems as though they had a cumulative effect until I finally said 'enough!' and meant it enough to seek recovery.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

man there were times good things were going on around me but i felt alone and felt really low. I felt really low
Old 01-14-2008, 12:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
man there were times good things were going on around me but i felt alone and felt really low. I felt really low
Being drunk all the time reminds me of a quote in the movie Fight Club. "When you have insomnia, you are never really asleep and your are never really awake." Just insert drunk where insomnia is. My wake up call had been bothering me for a while. I didn't feel anything because I was either drunk or high all the time. I couldn't remember what actual feelings felt like and thats when I decided that enough was enough. I decided that I needed to do something before I ended up messing up anymore of my life.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Everyone has a different point at which the light bulb comes on and they realize that they are no longer in control of the alcohol and the alcohol has made their life unmanagable.

My point was when I realized I could no longer live with alcohol but had no clue how to live without it. It felt like insanity.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Nan. I had that too. It was my jumping off point and I remember where and when it hit me. I was in bed one morning. I couldn't get up. Not just because of the hangover. I knew that if I got up I would drink that day. I didn't know how to live my life suddenly. I was so stuck. Life couldn't continue as it was and I couldn't imagine not drinking either.

That was a few months after the wake up call. I fell backwards in the street. I hit my head. It was 2am. I had work the next day. It was a seedy part of town and I was out with the only alcoholic left in town that could drink as much as I could. I had been drinking since midday and had just finished off a whole bottle of wine on my own in super quick time. I looked up at him from the pavement and something inside me finally saw what I looked like. Despite being close to poisoning, I had a clear moment. He helped me up. I got home in a taxi (in blackout). I woke up and said to my exabf..."I have to stop drinking". I just didn't know how to do that at the time.

I dragged myself into AA at the suggestion of the kind people here at SR. I was covered in bruises and scratches and cuts. I fell down often at the end or I was .... I hate to say it... keeping bad company. It was no way to live. Ugh.

It wasn't until I stopped that I look back amazed at how many calls I missed!
Old 01-14-2008, 03:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

mine was 3 days ago when I gave up 6 months soberity for a 1 night binge that left me feeling even worse than before I binged
Old 01-14-2008, 03:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bit like Rowan and Steph...a lot of wake up calls, a lot of gradually worsening injuries through drinking....I used the easter break and no liquor stores open to get me a head start...instead of drinking that day I came here....

now 'that guy' seems like someone else.

I like that. A lot

D
Old 01-14-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wow - wakeup calls. Like everyone here I had a bunch - broken bones, teeth knocked out, night in a jail cell. Problem was I'd always roll over and go back to sleep. Nothing could make me stay awake. One day I just was sick of it all and went to a meeting. Haven't hit the snooze button since. That was almost 12 years ago. Now I'm awake!
Mike
Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I had loads of wake-up calls, but i've always been good to fall back to sleep again...

last one was waking up in bed with no clothes on (I never sleep like that) with all sorts of cuts and bruises on my face. At first i tough somebody beat me up (couldn't remember a thing) but those wounds would be different. I'm addicted to marihuana, but that night i got totally wasted cause i couldn't fix myself a smoke. I think i have fallen of my bike time and time again on the way home...still have some scars....
Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

add:

a mule only hits a rock once....what does that make me??