Notices

Anger

Old 01-13-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anger

I've tried to stop altogether and tried to limit myself to 2 drinks wherever/whenever. It'll last 2 weeks tops. I find this extreme anger releasing itself from me onto those I love. How do you deal with these HUGE unexplicable emotions that seem almost evil?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

similar emotions

Hey- i have cast on arm so typing is messed up...whenever i stopped drinking i found myself doing the same thing...releasing vicious anger on family...as well as becoming anxious...paranoid...restless...skittish...these are all part of the withdrawal process. You may have an alcohol dependency more serious than you thought....no one likes to hear this but i suggest a frank talk with a doctor...there are short term meds and procedures that can help with detox and stopping that address some of your concerns...huge mood swings were part of the reason it was so difficult for me to stay stopped...i was only normal under the influence...it is scary. talk to someone...what you're experiencing is fairly common but unfair to those around you..good luck
Old 01-13-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am an addict and have this happen too.
My poor grams gets ll of it too. I get cranky, short tempered, and just down right mean.
I hate it . But it feels like I cant help it. I just try and stay away from people when I am feeling that way. And the moods are crazy. I am going on 30 days for umteeth time and I am still doing this. Not as much because I am trying my hardest to control it. But at first. I would have smacked the hell of myself.
Just hang in there. Talk to a doctor. And just stay aware of it and try your best to catch yourself. It is hard. But it'll pass.
Good Luck.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Alcohol is a "mood-altering" drug...so, it's no wonder you're experiencing these tremendous fits of anger...quite possibly angry that you're unable to drink "successfully", too...angry at yourself because you're unable to "control" your drinking. We usually wind up lashing out at those we care for the most...unfortunately...because anyone else won't put up with our crap!!!

Get the alcohol out of your system once and for all...AA meetings helped when I could share with folks who had gone through the same experiences in recovery...your emotions should level out eventually...just be patient with yourself.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that trying to cut down/set limits was not possible for me. And, when I was doing it, I was obsessing about drinking anyways.

The freedom for me came with stopping for good. And, the emotions do settle down, it just takes some time. The thing is, I had suppressed all my emotions for so long, I didn't really know how to handle situations in the real world.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pray...

One way to recieve strength for this is to pray. Have faith. It truely does help. Sometimes I feel so damn angry for no reason at all. Like I got this evil thing taking over my mind. I deal with this by trying to remain positive and fight those demons that keep trying to creep up on me. I know with the Lord in my life, those demons don't stand a chance. But the key word here is FAITH! Strength and understanding from your family also goes a long way!
Best of luck to you!!:praying
Old 01-13-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Prayer helps me immensley
Old 01-13-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

THanks

Thank you for the feedback. Today is offiicially day one. Worked out to try and get rid of that "anger" arising inside. Prayed many times today and hope to get through Day 2. Peace to you with much gratitude, Blissie