Notices

I feel like I'm being tested....

Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The more I talk to people from meetings, here, and my sponsor I am realizing that I truly need to get through this. My sponsor said if I didn't go through these hard times it would be like someone giving me a car. I didn't earn it, and I don't have the same appreciation for it that I would if I had worked for months to get it. I am just doing what I can by way of talking to people and telling them honestly how I feel. I was also told that the first few months are sometimes as bad as the bottom, since you are waking up to the mess that you created, and you have to deal with it sober. I just keep repeating the serenity prayer and reading some literature.

My first reaction 2 months ago if someone said "How are you feeling?" I would have said "Just fine, thanks". I have to break this habit, and realize that people at these meetings may be able to help if I just tell them what I am going through. I HATE asking for help, but that appears to be the key to success at this stage in the game. Making sure I tell my fellow AA people that I could use some help.

Thanks again for the advice everyone, I feel good today and I'm off to work to see if I can make some money.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm about to head over to a meeting, but something pretty cool happened today. I was talking to a guy from the program who is a good friend of mine, and he told me that when he was 60 days into AA he asked at a meeting if "this was as good as it gets". I didn't even tell him that I was having a hard time with this part since he has been working for the last 3 days and I hadn't talked to him. He just said he remembered when he was in early sobriety he was having a tough time when things started to slow down a bit. He celebrates 8 years next week, and said the only thing that got him through was trusting that people were telling him the truth. I guess I learned that I have a hard time trusting people when it comes to this.

Figured I'd share this since I am feeling a lot better today, this truly is a roller-coaster...but hell, I skydive all the time, so why turn down the opportunity for something new and exciting (like trusting people)?