Notices

what does it mean?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what does it mean?

what does self-centered fear mean? i have asked several people in my network but i can't get a clear understanding.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure.

What is the context?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i don't think there is any text that i know of. i just hear it shared in meetings and i have no idea what that means.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

For me it means not getting what I think I deserve or being afraid of losing something I already have. If you have ever taken care of a toddler you might know what I mean. I've also heard it described as going to bed with the "I wants" and waking up with the "gimme's".
Old 01-09-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Step Seven - Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

The chief activator of our defects has been self-centered fear--primarily fear that we would lose something we already possessed or would fail to get something we demanded. Living upon a basis of unsatisfied demands, we were in a state of continual disturbance and frustration. Therefore, no peace was to be had unless we could find a means of reducing these demands. The difference between a demand and a simple request is plain to anyone. The Seventh Step is where we make the change in our attitude which permits us, with humility as our guide, to move out from ourselves toward others and toward God. The whole emphasis of Step Seven is on humility. It is really saying to us that we now ought to be willing to try humility in seeking the removal of our other shortcomings just as we did when we admitted that we were powerless over alcohol, and came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. If that degree of humility could enable us to find the grace by which such a deadly obsession could be banished, then there must be hope of the same result respecting any other problem we could possibly have.
I hope that explains it satisfactorily.