Notices

Unwanted thoughts

Old 01-04-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unwanted thoughts

Hi everyone, just need to share. I have been thinking about drinking today. Not in an active " I want a drink " way, but, jeez, it's hard to explain, but it's Friday night Happy Hour time here, I drove by a bar on the way home from picking up my kids at school and the parking lot was already half full (3:30 pm!) and I realized I was thinking about happy hours and bars, even though I never drank in bars!! Isn't that weird?

I also have a little bit of a cold and a sore throat. Well, old remedy for colds (and every ache and pain) was a drink. So, that got me thinking more about drinking.

NOT wanting to think about it is becoming an obsession today! UGH! The thoughts aren't actual cravings, it's just like today I want alcohol to be no where on the planet and I don't want to think about drinking or my drinking history or my sobriety or anything! But I want to be and intend to be sober. So why am I unsettled? I am not sure, but I feel better for sharing.

I guess there isn't much of a question here, but if anyone can relate to the ramblin', I'd love to hear from you.

Hope everybody's doing well today!

This
Old 01-04-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I can definitely relate Jomey! Most of the time I have the experience of being in a grocery store and walking down the beer aisle to check out the newest offerings from the breweries. Then it hits me that I can't drink any of them so what the heck am I even looking for?!

There are days too when I contemplate whether I can be a normal drinker or not. But after almost three years of sobriety I understand completely that I will never drink safely again, it's not an option and never will be.

Thanks thanks for an interesting post! ;-)
Old 01-04-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
There are days too when I contemplate whether I can be a normal drinker or not. But after almost three years of sobriety I understand completely that I will never drink safely again, it's not an option and never will be.

Thanks thanks for an interesting post! ;-)
Thanks, Thanks Astro for your response. It's not an option and it never will be. I am almost at the 3 month mark and I feel the same as you do! Can't wait to see all the good things that happen being sober between three months and three years.

I really feel better because someone else "gets it".

Love ya, Love ya, JJ
Old 01-04-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry your feeling that way Jomey hope you come through it ok.

All Good Things,
Old 01-04-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Treasure. I have learned a lot in my brief time in sobriety about passing through phases as they come. I was HORRIBLE about it when I was drinking, and it is still something I am growing into. (Brief background... I was sober from mid-August till early Oct., relapsed for one day, and have been sober again since) So, I have been working on things for almost 5 months, essentially, and I can truly say I never realized how much there is to learn about myself and "life on life's terms".

Thanks for the good wishes.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by Jomey View Post
I don't want to think about drinking or my drinking history or my sobriety or anything! But I want to be and intend to be sober.
Thanks for your post.

Your not alone in feeling like this. For me, I sometimes get so tired of thinking about my drinking history/obsessing about drinking/thinking about sobriety/obsessing about sobriety...I just need a break from it all! I guess the peace comes in time and for now, it is much better to work on & obsess about my sobriety than that other thing. Hope this makes sense.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your welcome and thanks for sharing. Hey Dr. Bob relapsed once and then stayed sober for the remainder sounds like your following in one of the co founders footsteps. Good things to come right?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I learned in my little stay in rehab that a craving lasts 7 seconds. Now what you do after that 7 seconds is the hard part.
I was like 7 seconds?? HUH?
I felt like I had cravings for weeks before. But it is your mind that picks up after the actual craving stops.
They stressed alot that we need to distract ourselves any way possible as not to feed the craving.
Easier said than done sounds like. But possible.
I have to say. I gotta hand it to alcoholics. Because you have to face recovery with this stuff literally in your face every where. You cant even go grocery shopping without i9t being within reach. I have to go looking for my spots. I just couldnt imagine how that must be.
Jomey..Keep posting and sharing. Just dont pick up. And soon the thought will be nothing but a memory.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Gravity - Next time I am going to post, I will PM you first so you can condense my thoughts perfectly into an intelligent sequence! LOL - You hit the nail on the head and you are right - better to obsess on the sobriety than anything else.

Treasure...Definitely good things to come! Thank goodness of all the good examples of those who have relapsed and gone forward successfully. Thanks for sharing.

Chiy - I love you! Just when you have experienced a tough time, you never, ever fail to find a way to lift us up, to share what I need to hear and to be here for all of us. You are a marvel, my friend.

All of you are on a big ole gratitude list tonight!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jomey,

I'm glad you posted your question.

I don't really have thoughts about drinking, but I do get negative thoughts that run through my head and I have to purposely stop them. The thing is, I can't afford to let the negativity go ahead, even though I sometimes want to - just because it's familiar and easy. But, if I do, it will take me down to the depths and I won't go there. So, it's a question of stopping the thoughts when they come and replacing them with something else.

I also think that some days are just harder to deal with than others, for whatever reason.

Tomorrow will be a better day for you!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna - Isn't it amazing how simple truths like "everything looks better in the morning" get lost when we aren't sober? Thanks for sharing. Sharing here helps to stop the negative thoughts, like you suggested. Thanks again, Jomey
Old 01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't really have much to add...

Just wanted to say that this thread is what I needed to read right now. I often let negative thoughts about drinking/sobriety enter and fill my brain. It is nice to hear that others feel the same way and how people deal with it.

Good topic Jomey!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Jes - I have to run now, but hopefully some others will add some ideas and we can talk more tomorrow. Good night!
Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Oh, I/we definitely "get it", Jomey!!! I'm no longer bothered by thoughts of drinking, thank goodness...but, I can remember back to times I actually had to turn that AA "THINK" into "Don't think, don't think, don't think!" over and over, until I was able to get past whatever negativity was gnawing at me. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Know where you are coming from Jomey, certain routines or things friends say can remind me of good drinking times. I'm glad though that the bad times(which were much more) are still raw in my mind, and i think that helps to keep them as just passing thoughts and not a threat.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
believer

just want to say you're in my heart Jomey..
Old 01-06-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for "getting it". I am happy to say I am sober, and was never really craving to drink, just going through a short period, I would say, of childishly not accepting that I have to work at being sober everyday, for the rest of my life. There are days that are easier than others. "Life on life's terms" right? Thanks again!