Notices

question about aa

Old 01-04-2008, 12:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question about aa

OK, sorry if this sounds stupid but does it matter which meetings you go to depending on what stage of recovery you're at?

i.e. 'Beginners' - is that only for beginners?
and
'Keep it Simple' - not sure who that is aimed at..?
and
'Discussion' - ??

Sorry if this is a stupid question..
M x
Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi, Mimi - not stupid at all. If you go to the stickies at the top of the 12-step alcoholism forum - there's links to other sites - one of 'em is even in the UK.

Your First AA Meeting<

A Keep It Simple discussion group is usually (around here anyway) a meeting on day to day application of the Steps, and geared more toward daily living the Principles of AA and that kind of thing. It's also a little different format in that it's ... quicker moving.

Beginners ... sounds to me like just that ... here in the USA, it might mbe more a 'newcomers' meeting.

The town I live in is not very large. You go to one meeting at a certain time - you'll see the same people you might see in another location at another time on the same day LOL.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

mimi

im in northern ireland so maybe our meeting are similar
beginners-just that (but there isnt one in my area, suppose my group isnt big enough)
discussion- usually someone decides a topic for the evening... say Acceptance..and we roll with that

glad youre thinking about going best thing i ever done:ghug3
Old 01-04-2008, 03:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Mimi

Am a newcomer to SR also and from London. Will be checking out AA next week and am planning to go to newcomers/beginners meeting even though I am at the "dry drunk" stage.

Check out the website: alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk

Lists all centres/times/locations etc. in London but first need to ring HQ number provided to confirm if that specific meeting u require is still available.

I havnt done so yet as like u say so many to choose from...........arghhhhhhhhhhhh

Would have sent u the link but cannot do so till i reach a certain criteria on this site.

U wont have problems finding it.

Go for it babe!!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is the link from the UK Barb mentioned

Alcoholics Anonymous UK Newcomers

Excellent video ...

I do hope you find AA as awesome as I do
Recovery Rocks!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great thanks guys, I am on day 2 (again!!!) and having failed to sort things out many times without sticking with AA, think I don't have any choice. I normally start going to meetings and then don't think I need to so relapse every time..

Liked the video, it actually made me cry, which is part of the reason I drink as I find it so difficult to sit with my feelings and emotions...but don't worry I've had soup instead of beer today *sigh*

Here we go again....
Mxxx
Old 01-04-2008, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Also, big hug to Rudolph too, thanks for your post, good luck and stay strong.
Mx
Old 01-04-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mimi, as always, it's wonderful to see you.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Rowan - good to see you too again, hopefully this time will be longer than usual. Thanks for the support.
Mx
Old 01-04-2008, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

PM me anytime if you need to chat one-on-one, friend. Don't give up.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Originally Posted by mimi54321 View Post
OK, sorry if this sounds stupid but does it matter which meetings you go to depending on what stage of recovery you're at?

i.e. 'Beginners' - is that only for beginners?
and
'Keep it Simple' - not sure who that is aimed at..?
and
'Discussion' - ??

Sorry if this is a stupid question..
M x
Mimi they are not stupid questions at all, the only dumb question is one not asked.

1. 'Beginners' - is that only for beginners?

Nope, I am not a beginner any more, I have been through the steps and am taking my sponsee through them as well, but I do still keep my mind as open as possible just like a newcomer needs to. Keeping an open mind is crucial to both the person walking in the door for the first time and the old timers (25+ years in my area) to get and stay sober. We must be willing to learn and to continue to change to stay sober and happy.

Beginners meetings are a mixture of newcomers, old timers and everything in between, how can a beginner draw upon the ESH of another beginner? Newcomers gain from the ESH of those who have walked the path to sobriety.

I love newcomers meetings, they help me to stay sober by keeping fresh in my mind where I came from and where I do not want to go back to and more importantly there is nothing I love better then working with a newcomer, sharing with them how I stayed sober that first week, first month, second month, etc.

2. 'Keep it Simple' - not sure who that is aimed at..?

I assume that is the name of a meeting in your area, the jist of that to me is a meeting that tries to stick to the bare bones basics of recovery and does not get into really deep topics. In reality keeping it simple has keep me sober along with a lot of other AA folks, the program of AA is a simple program for complex people.

I know when I first got sober my alcoholic head would try and take the simplest of things in AA and make them complex!!!! Heck I tried to complicate step one, it took my sponsor sitting down with me and a Big Book to explain to me just how simple that step was once I opened my mind up a bit and quit trying to read words in between the lines that did not exist!!

3. 'Discussion' - ??

Usually these meeting are ones where there is a discussion of a particular topic pertaining to recovery, some meetings, a topic will be asked for by the person chairing the meeting, at others it may be a pre-determined topic.

There are 2 types of discussion meetings:

Open - Alcoholics and non-alcoholics
Closed - Alcoholics & those who have a desire to stop drinking but are not sure if they are an alcoholic or not.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I would find the ones where you feel welcome, warm, and unthreatened.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi Mimi,

I suggest you check out a few different meetings. The first meeting I went to 18 days ago was an AA tradition meeting (tradition 4, each group autonomous). I'm freaking out, looking for help, and they were talking about money ! Oh well, here's 2 bucks! It was my 3rd meeting by the time I felt "at home". I'm still going to check out various meetings/groups because I am likely to "discover" even more people I can relate to.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Open Speaker meetings are a good place to start...as you become comfortable in the rooms, and are able to get some phone numbers...branch out to other types of meetings: Topic Discussions, Big Book, Step Meetings. I'd steer clear of the Tradition Meetings for a while...they can be a bit confusing/overwhelming for the newcomer, as you can tell from gravity's post.

If you get to a meeting early, stay late, you'll have a chance to meet people either as they set up or break down a meeting...it doesn't get done by itself, you know. Some of the "best meetings" are held either before or after the regular one...you'll see what I mean. And, hooking up with those who go for coffee afterwards is a great way for people to get to know you, too.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thanks all for the help - I think I need a sponsor, it doesn't matter how many times I read them I still don't know where to start!!
Like Taz said I too complicate things beyond believe - I'm sure its a way of making excuses not to do things...

OK, well I have now missed 4 possible meetings in my area because I got scared and bailed at the last minute, but I'm nearly 48 hours in and SO determined this time, I'm so tired.

I'll be boring everyone a whole lot more over the next few days

Haha - its good to be back.
Mxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-04-2008, 06:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi mimi,

Just want to share my experience regarding getting through the door of my first AA meeting, getting a sponsor:

I called the local AA number. I spoke with a long time AA member and we met later that day. We had a long face to face discussion and agreed to meet the following day outside of the meeting room - he walked into the meeting room with me. Truthfully, I may not have went on my own. This gentleman is now my sponsor and we are currently working on step 4. There is no way that I could have fully understood the steps on my own (but by the same token, I have been told a few times to keep it simple!).

Anyway, that was my experience and I am growing more & more comfortable with meetings, my sponsor, and the Big Book each day.

Hope some of this helps.