Notices

Sober 3 months & Under Club

Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Rob From Canada eh!!

Hi everyone

Day 34 I think, feeling good but some weak moments, but determined

Gravity: We are so lucky to have you hanging around here, there is no mistaking your unselfish desire to help others. Thanks

Belchoir: Its never to late to quit, for the last I quit in 1995 for about a year and a half and then decided that I could handle it and have a drink now and then (nope)
And over the last ten years I don't know how many times I was drinking and looked in the mirror and said buddy you are killing yourself!!! with this ****. So Make a plan and just stop drinking, for me the first week or so was the hardest because like any habit your brain gets used to it and your body follows. we are here for you when your are ready

Trakin: When someone in our family makes a mistake we don't ban them from the house, you are family and please come here often!!!

ROFL: Funny you say about getting a job, I too used to run my own business and to me this meant to much uncertainty. If I finished my work early afternoon I would pick up some beer on the way home. A full time job will give you a routine to work from. As far as the others being ahead of you in time sober, eventually it will be like dating, when you are 20 and date a 16 yr old people think not good but when your are 30 and date 20 yr old that Ok. so when we are sober for 2yrs you will be about two yrs sober.

NDZ: Are you and Gravity the same person, both of you are doing so well and bring moral up a notch or two around here (Thanks)

Omega: Where are you!!!!!

Mandarina: Please don't be disappointed with yourself, the fact that you have stayed sober for 4 weeks out ways everything. Just concentrate on staying sober one day at a time. One of my worst reason's for drinking in the past was being to hard on my self and setting goals that where not reachable and then when I couldn't meet them I would end up mad at my self (feel bad better have a drink)
Just stay sober and set a plan in place to get the things done one thing at a time!!

:atv

Thanks to everyone on this site, I have no doubt in my mind my sobriety is directly connected to you all!!!

Ramblin Rob
Old 01-29-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Edge of a Cliff!

Hi Guys - I'm still around, been lurking. I'll try to keep this short as I really don't know what to say at the moment. I was drinking, did again last night.

Embarrassed, humbled, angry, relieved, confused, not sure where to start.

It's a long and complicated story. Thanks for thinking about me, especially those that have sent me the PMs'.

Trying to get my head around this whole process. All I know at the moment is that I don't feel very well and I'm growing real tired of it.

Steve
Old 01-29-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Rob From Canada eh!!

Hi Omega Man

Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Hi Guys - I'm still around, been lurking. I'll try to keep this short as I really don't know what to say at the moment. I was drinking, did again last night.

Embarrassed, humbled, angry, relieved, confused, not sure where to start.

It's a long and complicated story. Thanks for thinking about me, especially those that have sent me the PMs'.

Trying to get my head around this whole process. All I know at the moment is that I don't feel very well and I'm growing real tired of it.

Steve
Well we all get confused sometimes, don't bet yourself up Omega

Do you not feel well physically or mentally or both?

As you said before we must take all this one day at a time, don't give up

Rob
Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

It's so good to have you back Omega Man, we missed you. You have supported, inspired and comforted so many of us. Now maybe we can give some of that back.

It's like mayorob said - we're family and we're in this together.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Rob From Canada eh!!

Hi Gravity

How it going
Old 01-29-2008, 01:39 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Omega - Glad to see you posting! I keep wondering what I'll do if I fall. I feel like it may be inevitable. But it's not the falling down that matters, its the getting back up. Good for you.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Omegaman

Originally Posted by Mandarina View Post
It's so good to have you back Omega Man, we missed you. You have supported, inspired and comforted so many of us. Now maybe we can give some of that back.

It's like mayorob said - we're family and we're in this together.
Very well put. This is one of the qualities that you brought to this forum. Time to accept what you so freely gave. Glad to see you posting once again. I am also glad to see the support you are receiving. Hang in there. This thing can be beat. You are worth it.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by Mandarina View Post
I'm on day 29 - passed the four weeks mark last night. This is my personal best for the past...ten years I think. I'm doing allright, but I have a million things to do and not a lot of energy. I have been procrastinating too much for the past few weeks and now I'm in a bit of a mess and feeling disappointed with myself.

I'm thinking about maybe going to an AA meeting this weekend even though I'm a bit apprehensive. I'm very uncomfortable with the whole concept of a religious/spiritual cure, but I don't want to rule out a potential source of support. What kind of meeting should I go to? Some of them are labeled "speaker" or "primary purpose" or something like that.
Hi Mandarina,

Congratulations on the personal best! Feels good to be in unknown territory! I know what you mean about the million things to do & lack of energy. Sometimes just thinking about what I have to do exhausts me - seriously! Just do one small task at a time. To deal with the lack of energy, I try to get better sleep, eat better, exercise, cut down on coffee (seems contradictory but what in my life isn't ), and not think so damn much! And please don't be disappointed with yourself. You have been sober for four weeks! Be proud of yourself!

Regarding AA meetings, I manage to get to one or two a week plus meet my sponsor every so often. I would call your local AA number to get a description of the types of meetings (might be different names depending on where you are). I've been to one 'open' meeting and I honestly felt a bit uncomfortable sharing (non-alcoholics in the room). I've also been to a couple of 'traditions' based meetings and these meetings were too structured for my liking (seemed to focus on the 'administration' side of AA). I haven't been to a 'speaker' meeting but really want to - where someone from the group tells their story (volunteer basis !). The meetings I like the best are closed meetings where a topic is introduced and it's kind of a free flow after that. You can share or listen. I never plan on sharing, but something always inspires me!

Despite what many say, I personally do find the Big Book to be somewhat religious (although it does state that all that is required is a belief in a higher power, not necesarily a divine entity) but the messages are very strong and the tools that I've used have worked. The meetings I've attended have been a prayer at the beginning, a prayer at the end, and living life & getting sober in between. Personally, I don't mind the religious references as I am spiritual and respect the choices of others. And the support you will get will be incredible! Definitely worth checking out!
Old 01-29-2008, 02:45 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Glad to see all y'all still around here! Especially you Omg!

Haven't checked in in a while, so I thought I'd say hello.

Hello.

Happy Tuesday, huh?

B'sT
Old 01-29-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Gravity... I've been to a few "speaker" AA meetings, and those were my favorites. One person would tell their story for 25 minutes, then everyone else responded or told their own stories. It somehow kept us on one or two topics instead of being all over the place.

Glad to have you back, Omega Man!

I'm on day 24 today. I've had a lot more urges these past 2-3 days. It's like the novelty of not-drinking (that yay! feeling) has worn off, and I'm staring at a lifetime of not drinking. I know one-day-at-a-time is the key, and that's been helpful. But it's not been as easy lately to simply shrug the urges off.

Will keep at it. I hope everyone is well.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hello! I am on day 14, and so far, OK.

I hear you NM about the novelty wearing off. I tend to tire of things quickly. I went to a meeting in a town over last night, just for a change. I think I will continue to do this once every week or two, just to experience things in an unfamiliar setting. I found it to be a small adventure, in finding the place, finding the room, seeing the totally different people, it was almost like the first time.

It's great to be here!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

hey omega, great to see ya online, keep on postin man, dont be afraid to ask for anything, your sober time can never be taken away from you, its yours you earned it, pick up dust off and stack some more clean days on
Old 01-29-2008, 11:12 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
where the light is

Thanks Everyone!

Hello Friends,

Just a quick thank you for the nice things said and (of course) the posts. SR has been such a great place for me these past 44 days and I love being a part of what I consider to be something special. I have no doubt that this is why I feel so strong today. For today, I accept that I cannot drink and you know what? I'm okay with that !

On a funny note, my six year old boy was watching me while I was reading SR. He was looking at the smileys and asked "Dad, what's WTF? " I really hope he doesn't ask his teacher...
Old 01-29-2008, 11:15 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

" He was looking at the smileys and asked "Dad, what's WTF? " ,

haha, what did you say
Old 01-29-2008, 11:18 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
where the light is

In typical fashion, I changed the subject ("uh..wanna play video games?")
Old 01-29-2008, 11:30 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Welcome C2. Glad you made it to the board! Congratulations.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Negative Man View Post
I'm on day 24 today. I've had a lot more urges these past 2-3 days. It's like the novelty of not-drinking (that yay! feeling) has worn off, and I'm staring at a lifetime of not drinking. I know one-day-at-a-time is the key, and that's been helpful. But it's not been as easy lately to simply shrug the urges off.
It goes up and down, I've noticed it in myself and others here. The pattern has been something like this for me so far:

Days 1-5: The guilt and shame from the last time I drank was the strongest motivator and got me through the first days.

Days 6-10: I felt lost and started thinking that I was probably overreacting, that I could keep on drinking if I was just careful. Would have done that if it wasn't for SR.

Days 11-21: Realized that I could make it and felt very optimistic and happy about my new life. Pink cloud period.

Days 21-28:
Crashed when I relized that all my problems were still there and now I'd have to deal with them without alchohol to numb me.

Now I'm on day 30 and I'm trying to sort out what I have to do and trying to get my life in some kind of order. I feel happier again, but more realistic than before. I have a lot of work to do and it's not going to be easy.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Congratulations C2! and welcome to the 3 month and under!

It's funny how we are all going through similar trials. My cycles seem to be pretty rapid. A few days of feeling really strong and good about everything, then the weight of life's pressures and having to face them without my old cruch, drinking. But I'm getting through most of those with my new crutch - SR! I believe one of my friends here once said that she's traded in one addiction for another, this forum! Is there a support group to help quit this support group?!

Gravity - I laughed so hard at your story! Thanks for starting my day with a smile!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:12 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Welcome back B'sT and Omega Man!

Omega - I know you're still figuring out what's in your head, so take your time and send me a message if you want to - happy to listen, I'm here for you if you need me.

gravity - kids are so awesome, one day I'll have some of my own..

mandarina - that's a pretty amazing log of your emotional rollercoaster there, I think you've covered it really well! my rollercoaster's a bit different (still pink cloud I think!) but it's all there - I've had some great days and I have had some down days where I just stayed at home in my pyjamas - I've been happy just to get through each day as it comes, I think.

C2H5OH_Free - well done, 14 days - that's awesome! I know what you and Positive Man mean, and I wonder if Omgmn does too - that once the hard part is over, it almost seems like it's easy and wasn't a big deal, and why the big fuss at the start anyway?

I can't think like that, I'm w/ gravity on this one - my drinking days are over for today, and so are my drug days, and my cigarette days, and all my poison filled days - I want clean, dammit - and I'm gonna stay clean. I have to, I've spent so much of my life smashed, I just want to experience life the way it was supposed to be.

So it's the end of Day 45 for me, half way to my new goal of 90 days - but I'll be happy to reach 60. My life is starting to get silly again, all my uni administration stuff is taking off, and the enormity of what I'm facing this year has me a bit nervous, but I'm just going to put one foot in front of the other.

I have been having some great talks with my ex - the one who left me almost 2 months ago. It's confusing, and illogical, but we are still close, and I know 100% that I don't want to be with her any more. I also know she still loves me, and that she's moving 1,000km's away in a week and a half. It's a weird situation, I don't quite know how to deal with it. I don't want to be distant, but I need to be so I can keep myself sane. I'm still tied up with her emotionally, but that happens after 6 years engaged to each other. Man, I don't know - I guess I'll do what I have been every day and just hand it over, see how it plays out, and be as present and as aware and awake as I can be.

Final note: anyone here an Iron Maiden fan? Going to their concert Saturday next week (same day as the ex leaves for her new home), they're re-creating the 1985 Powerslave tour!! I'm sooo excited, it's like I'm 14 again!!! The band I never thought I'd get to see, playing all the music that got me into them... I still have every album from 1980 - 1992 on vinyl, in mint condition - it's gonna rule so hard!! *wails* Yaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!

have a good one guys, talk tomorrow morning - ndz
Old 01-30-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Up the irons

\m/