Notices

How to Stay Away From One Drink One Day at a Time/

Old 01-03-2008, 02:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

How to Stay Away From One Drink One Day at a Time/

How to Stay Away From One Drink One Day at a Time

Many new to sobriety or attempting sobriety after a relaps may find this information useful.

Many of us did not realize that the first drink triggered the compulsion to drink more and more; that it deluded us into thinking we could drink another safely, then another and another. The saying 1 drink is too many and a thousand is not enough is true for any alcoholic. If we never take that first drink we can not get drunk.

Here are some things you can do to help you stay away from that first drink, one day at a time.

1. The twenty-four hour (or one-minute, if necessary) plan: Today is the only day you have to stay sober for. Do not worry about tomorrow or yesterday. They are not in your power to change. The only time that you can change is right now, this minute. If you make the choice not to drink for just this twenty-four hour period you are practicing the twenty-four hour plan.

2. The HALT reminder—never getting too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. During times of stress we are more susceptible to the temptation to pick up that first drink. By not allowing ourselves to become hungry, loney, angry, or tired we help prevent stress in our bodies.

3. If you work the program of AA, stick close to your sponsor and discuss your concerns with him/her. Call them when you feel "the need to drink."
If you are not working the program of AA, then find someone you can count on for support and discuss your concerns with him/her. Call them when you are feeling the "need to drink."

4. Postponing the drink.: Postpone that drink until tomorrow. You do not have to swear off for a lifetime. By postponing the drink you give yourself time to call your sponsor/support person, eat, talk through your frustrations, talk with someone to avoid the loneliness, get some rest. This allows you time to get past that feeling of "need to drink."

5. If AA is the program of recovery you are utulizing going to lots of A.A. meetings.
If you are using any form of recovery program if they have meetings go to lots of them.

6. Keeping pockets stuffed with a support persons phone number (preferably several peoples phone numbers), a 24 hour coin if you are an AA'r, a reminder of your committement to recovery if you are not (some people carry angel coins, pretty rocks, worry stones, etc...), any written thing that helps remind you of why you are pursuing sobriety (your last bad drunk, your promise to yourself, a picture of your children/wife/husband/mother/father, a poem, etc...).

7. Prayer—in whatever form the you prefer it. Even if it is something as simple as "God, help me." You do not have to believe there is a God to pray. You can see it as asking the energy in the universe to help you. If you are opposed to prayer, skip this, but don't let it be an excuse to drink.

8. Changing routines—especially at drinking hours—to break up the old habit patterns.

9. Spending time with other non drinkers individually—either in person or on the telephone (and especially during old drinking hours).

10. If you are an AA'r. Spending time in meeting rooms or central offices where A.A.s gather outside of regular meeting hours.
If not an AA'r skip this one.

11. If you are an AA'r. Starting work on the Twelve Steps, to fight such threats to sobriety as resentments, self-pity, and the tendency to dwell on the past or the future.
If you are not an AA'r. Consider finding a program of recovery that works for you. Many times the support of a group is a great asset to the struggle of alcoholism.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Remember "If you don't drink, you don't get drunk"
Old 01-03-2008, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Yes and its only the first drink I need to give up
Old 01-03-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

I like that Nogard.
I will always be a drinker, just like I will always be an alcoholic. I just choose not to drink that first drink!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 01-03-2008, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

Thanks for posting this nadm. I don't fully understand #4. "Postpone that drink until tomorrow." I do understand that to point is to give yourself a chance to work through the urge. However, I think I would do just as it says: Obsess until tomorrow and then drink. It seems to give permission to drink in the future. Maybe I'm missing something? Bottom line, I guess, if it doesn't work for me, then don't use it. The other suggestions are very helpful.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
Thanks for posting this nadm. I don't fully understand #4. "Postpone that drink until tomorrow." I do understand that to point is to give yourself a chance to work through the urge. However, I think I would do just as it says: Obsess until tomorrow and then drink. It seems to give permission to drink in the future. Maybe I'm missing something? Bottom line, I guess, if it doesn't work for me, then don't use it. The other suggestions are very helpful.
I can see the confusion. The idea behind postponement is that by postponing it you allow yourself time to get away from the obsessive thoughts and by postponing it each time then you still don't drink. Basically you are just buying time instead of a drink. With enough time the cravings cease.

But as with all of life it is a take what you can use and leave the rest.

Glad you were able to find some useful suggestions.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

:bounce
Old 01-04-2008, 10:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this...

It is very helpful information...:atv
Old 01-04-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

:puppet
Old 01-05-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Preparing for the Lions Den

Howdy
I am about to get ready to leave for a gig tonight. We're playing a place we frequent quite often. We have a good following, and this is where I do (did?) alot of my drinking. I'm anxious, I'm in a rotten mood, I feel like hell (Bad cold)
And I've been working all day renovating my basement. I am cranky because I fought off the urge to drink the whole time.. How could you not drink when doing construction work? I ALWAYS did. It was tough.
And it's gonna get tougher. My strength will be in the fact that I feel lousy, and it's back to the basement early tomorrow AM.
Damn I'm tired...
BTW day twelve tomorrow.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That is great information!
Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nandm View Post

Many new to sobriety or attempting sobriety after a relaps may find this information useful.

Many of us did not realize that the first drink triggered the compulsion to drink more and more; that it deluded us into thinking we could drink another safely, then another and another. The saying 1 drink is too many and a thousand is not enough is true for any alcoholic. If we never take that first drink we can not get drunk.

Here are some things you can do to help you stay away from that first drink, one day at a time.

1. The twenty-four hour (or one-minute, if necessary) plan: Today is the only day you have to stay sober for. Do not worry about tomorrow or yesterday. They are not in your power to change. The only time that you can change is right now, this minute. If you make the choice not to drink for just this twenty-four hour period you are practicing the twenty-four hour plan.

2. The HALT reminder—never getting too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. During times of stress we are more susceptible to the temptation to pick up that first drink. By not allowing ourselves to become hungry, loney, angry, or tired we help prevent stress in our bodies.

3. If you work the program of AA, stick close to your sponsor and discuss your concerns with him/her. Call them when you feel "the need to drink."
If you are not working the program of AA, then find someone you can count on for support and discuss your concerns with him/her. Call them when you are feeling the "need to drink."

4. Postponing the drink.: Postpone that drink until tomorrow. You do not have to swear off for a lifetime. By postponing the drink you give yourself time to call your sponsor/support person, eat, talk through your frustrations, talk with someone to avoid the loneliness, get some rest. This allows you time to get past that feeling of "need to drink."

5. If AA is the program of recovery you are utulizing going to lots of A.A. meetings.
If you are using any form of recovery program if they have meetings go to lots of them.

6. Keeping pockets stuffed with a support persons phone number (preferably several peoples phone numbers), a 24 hour coin if you are an AA'r, a reminder of your committement to recovery if you are not (some people carry angel coins, pretty rocks, worry stones, etc...), any written thing that helps remind you of why you are pursuing sobriety (your last bad drunk, your promise to yourself, a picture of your children/wife/husband/mother/father, a poem, etc...).

7. Prayer—in whatever form the you prefer it. Even if it is something as simple as "God, help me." You do not have to believe there is a God to pray. You can see it as asking the energy in the universe to help you. If you are opposed to prayer, skip this, but don't let it be an excuse to drink.

8. Changing routines—especially at drinking hours—to break up the old habit patterns.

9. Spending time with other non drinkers individually—either in person or on the telephone (and especially during old drinking hours).

10. If you are an AA'r. Spending time in meeting rooms or central offices where A.A.s gather outside of regular meeting hours.
If not an AA'r skip this one.

11. If you are an AA'r. Starting work on the Twelve Steps, to fight such threats to sobriety as resentments, self-pity, and the tendency to dwell on the past or the future.
If you are not an AA'r. Consider finding a program of recovery that works for you. Many times the support of a group is a great asset to the struggle of alcoholism.
Bump
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nandm View Post

Excerpts from book 'Living Sober"

Reprinted with permission of AA World Services, inc

Stay away from the first drink
“if you don’t take that first drink, you can’t get drunk”
and
“One drink is too many, but twenty are not enough.”

Doctors who are experts on alcoholism tell us that there is
a sound medical foundation for avoiding the first drink. It
is the first drink, which triggers, immediately or some time
later, the compulsion to drink more and more until we are
in drinking trouble again

Remembering that alcoholism is an incurable, progressive, fatal disease

We are also convinced, after the countless attempts we
made to prove otherwise, that alcoholism is incurable—just
like some others illness. It cannot be “cured” in this sense:
We cannot change our body chemistry and go back to being the normal, moderate social drinkers lots of us seemed
to be in our youth.