Notices

Drank Yesterday

Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drank Yesterday

HI. I was sober after 3 months and 3 weeks, but yesterday I messed up. Got depressed and lonely and drank a bottle of champaine for New Years. I feel a little crappy, but want to go back to sobriety. Not craving today. I will go to an AA meeting tonight. Anyone got any advice. I hate the fact in AA you have to start all over even just after a little slip up. but that's the way it goes.:praying
Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

It's not like you lost those months sober; that's 15 weeks your liver is thanking you for. 3 months is a hugh accomplishment in my book, I'm still counting in Days sober!
You slipped, you got up and are doing what you need to do.

It also sounds like you learned about a big "trigger" situation (depressed, lonely) to avoid.

Glad your back with us.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community - it sounds like you know exactly what to do: hit an AA meeting, and begin again. I'm familiar with relapse myself, and had to collect that 24 hr coin more than once. Let us know how it goes, and I hope you continue to post here.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Many of us had false starts on our way to solid recovery.
You too can start again!

Welcome!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome back! I would recommend a fellowship like AA.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Sorry to hear that, 'cause I know how crappy you must feel! Been there, done that! My "original" dry date was June 22, 1979...the current one is November 15, 1979. So, you see, it can be done...I think having to "start over" is a valuable lesson in humility...I know it was for me. Getting back to detox (my daughter's idea) and lots of AA meetings kept me sober the second go-around. Welcome back!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can remember being at the Bill Wilson house in Vermont, looking at Bill's mountain top. There wasnt a cloud on the horizon. I had been sober a few months and was feeling pretty good but I still had my girlfriend holding my money for me. Next day I woke up and she had left a $20 on the table. I went out and used. I didnt realize it at the time but even though I was sober I still had the mind of an alcoholic. I had to go back to AA it wasnt easy but what choice did I have? Steps, sponsor, the program changed everything.

All Good Things,
Old 01-02-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

The number of days is a reference point, but sometimes makes us think "Oh, no, now I must start over" which can lead to a what-the-hell attitude. To which that approach can lead us straight back to the bottle. Remember, the only thing we have within our grasp is right now, today. The past is but a mist, the future a mere projection of our minds. Keep hold of today and don't worry about starting over...we all start over in the coming morning.
Hang in there, your strength gives the same to us all.

Peace—
Padraic
Old 01-02-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

that was great

You are right. TODAY. That is all we have for sure and its easier to say I can maintain this for TODAY. Sometimes focusing on those dates isn't good because it can make you a bit crazy. I am on 57 days and on some of those days it was I will stay sober for the next hour. I think the hardest days are when you are stressed out or disappointed and my old coping skill of numbing my anxiety with alcohol creeps back in as an idea and I have to beat it out of there. You were smart to start over and do TODAY again. Just focus on what you can handle. I give the rest to GOD to handle. And that was no easy thing for a self reliant woman to do. I sure wasn't handling things drinking every night so its good to give that anxiety to GOD. At first I totally didn't get that concept now I feel peace creeping into my life as my spirituallity grows. I can say this now and truly mean it!:praying