Notices

My reward for being clean

Old 01-02-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My reward for being clean

I ride quads. I get a lotta pleasure outta ridding. Being clean gave me the ability to buy my quads. I own two. Bought them both brand new. So, I was in a Hare Scramble race yesterday. My first race. It was an hour long. Tons of mud. Came in 43rd out of 106 riders. I was really bummed when I found out I was 43rd. I didnt expect to win, but I thought at at least the top 10 or 20. But 43rd? Damn. 43rd place? WTF? My buddy was 14th. So last night I was depressed. My girlfrriend reminded me of a few things. First I am 45 yrs old (just when I thought I couldnt feel any worse remind me I am old too) Most those guys were young. I was on a stock quad. I have only been riding a little over a year. Got my first quad in Oct 06. Never rode a quad in my life before that. The start was also BS. 5 rows. I was in the last row. Probably around 90 quads in front of me. So I guess I passed around 50 riders in one hour. About what I figured. I did pass a lotta people when I could. The opportunity wasnt always there. Anyway, I had a blast. Passing was probably the best part for me. Feels good taking another rider. Especially one on a modded bike while I am on a stock one. I am hooked. I wanna do it again. My first real race and I didnt know what to expect. Now I have an idea what its like. I learned a lot yesterday. And I completed it. A big accomplishment. It was very physical. 40 degree weather with 15 wind chill and I was drenched in sweat. One hour is a long time to ride hard like that. I was exausted at the end. A lot of guys didnt even complete the race. I owe this all to being clean. Being in that race was a dream come true for me. In recovery anything is possible. Wait til the next one. Im gonna kick butt.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lousy picture. She clicked it while my eyes were closed.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In recovery ANYTHING is possible for ANYONE!!!! This is what not doing drugs did for me. YouTube - Honda TRX450 My "Remedy" And this is me and my friend Brett (also in recovery) Having "Drug Free" fun in recovery. Im in the Red Jersey YouTube - Honda TRX450 Horsfall Dunes- Seek and Destroy I hope this thread inspires somebody to try the drug free life I am living. Its soooooooo much better. If your a guest here reading this and just brousing posts, take the time to register. This is a great site. I cant begin to tell you how much this place has done for me. You can find a lotta support here.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you did AWESOME in the race! Having fun, doing what you love, and being clean....who could ask for more?!?

I agree on SR being a great site. I just love having friends all over the world who have so much in common.

Good luck on the next race!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-02-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Awesome T2S

And yes everything is possible in recovery.

Kevin
Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SWEET, thanks for sharing thats awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Really awesome share! Thanks for the pictures...its great to have a visual about how much being clean changes your life. That racing looks really, really cool! Keep us posted on how you do and esp. on how much you are enjoying it being sober!
Old 01-02-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks for sharing your race with us. nice to see some pics too. but how are you going to clean all that mud of your quad now!? lol
Old 01-02-2008, 06:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

T2S... hears a old familar li'l somthing for ya!

(...)

thanks for the message of inspiration...

keep give'n that love...

rz
Old 01-02-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aldo1980 View Post
thanks for sharing your race with us. nice to see some pics too. but how are you going to clean all that mud of your quad now!? lol
Cleaned it today. Will probably get it muddy again tommorow.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender View Post
I was really bummed when I found out I was 43rd. I didnt expect to win, but I thought at at least the top 10 or 20. But 43rd? Damn. 43rd place? .

And I completed it. A big accomplishment. It was very physical. 40 degree weather with 15 wind chill and I was drenched in sweat. One hour is a long time to ride hard like that. I was exausted at the end. A lot of guys didnt even complete the race. I owe this all to being clean. Being in that race was a dream come true for me. In recovery anything is possible. Wait til the next one. Im gonna kick butt.
43rd and now think about all the people who watched as well as the few who didn't even finish.

If you didn't race... the guy who came in last would still be ahead of you.
45 or 20... 43rd is still a nice run.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Im actually happy with my 43rd place now. I passed a lotta quads and worked hard to do it. And I have only been riding 15 months. Some of those guys have ridden for years. I lived a dream yesterday. It was a gift. Recovery is not a gift. Its something you work for. Cool thing is the gifts you recieve in recovery are endless. Its 12:07 another day clean.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aldo1980 View Post
So it will look like this again? LOL That was actually the first day I bought it.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mike, your post reminded me of my very first dirt bike race; 7th place. Out of 10 riders. :wtf2

The second time I raced, I made it up to 4th place, and then the 3 guys in front of me crashed, and I got first.

After that, I consistently came in first, second, or third, everytime.

Once you get a grip on the nerves, and get one good break, it all changes after that. The first time, not knowing what to expect, no confidence to speak of in racing, there's alot more going on than just outrunning other riders.

Good luck man. Hang in there, be careful, and have fun!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Once you get a grip on the nerves, and get one good break, it all changes after that. The first time, not knowing what to expect, no confidence to speak of in racing, there's alot more going on than just outrunning other riders.
Man, thats the truth. I went out there kinda nervous. I didnt know what to expect. Now I do. Cant wait til next time.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Another video of my "Clean and Sober" fun. YouTube - Honda TRX450R at the Dunes in Oregon
Old 01-06-2008, 03:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I like the rush of riding motocross so much more than a drink.

keep up the good work and have a blast being sober
Old 01-06-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks man. It is a rush. Defineatly much better than any drink or drug.