Notices

hi i am new & have some thoughts

Old 01-01-2008, 05:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Best wishes, Daisy. I felt very scared before I went to my first meeting, which was an Al-Anon meeting. I used to drive to the place, and not go in because I was too afraid. I did that about 5 times. Finally I did go in, everyone there was really nice! But it took me awhile to say anything to anybody, but that was ok. I ended up in AA finally, it felt like the best place for me, I could relate to what other people there were saying, I guess something just clicked for me although I didn't think I was an alcoholic. For a long time, I used to say, "I used to be sort of a drug addict", or "I don't know what I am" when I talked. I have LOTS of addictions that would qualify me for other groups. But AA is where I go. I would suggest trying different types of groups to see what feels like a good fit for you, that worked for me. Good luck to you!

Amrita
Old 01-01-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

welcome daisy,

i hope you get to your meeting, let us know what you decided
Old 01-01-2008, 05:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Im still working on it....keep seeing the time pass by and well just dont know....im more on theyes right now than no...but we shall see
Old 01-01-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Amolibri

I know...

Hi Daisy, and welcome.

This IS the place to be! I remember many years ago, my 1st Alanon meeting...walking in and bringing my infant son in his carrier...setting him down in a corner (sleeping) and being quite afraid. I kept going back, though, and found so many great and supportive people. Through that I've gone on to be a delegate for CoDA, and now a member also of Naranon.

I have always thanked my Higher Power for leading me to my own recovery...that is what matters. The person I went to Alanon "for" - has since passed away...and I have accepted that as HP's will for me.

I've thought of all I have to be grateful for, and I see you also do too.
I encourage you to feel your fear and go anyway...others are anxious too!!

Peace and love be with you.
Lena (msmom)
Old 01-01-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

thanks msmom...im getting there..most likely i will but typically i have my boys with me on monday nites...it will be tough tryting to figure this all out...but its looking more like in an hr or so ill be leaving...not my first time going to one, but the first time in a long time to go.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Give it a wing, you have nothing to lose and it's only an hour. You can walk out whenever anyway, people do have commitments so you see people leave quite often and it's far from considered rude. Just give it a try!!! You'll feel comfy, i promise..
Old 01-01-2008, 11:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

There is no such thing as a bad meeting. Just remember a few simple things things
1) Look for the similarities and not the differences
2) Take what you need and leave the rest
3) Your very presence may be the hope that saves another from jails institutions and / or death
4) Remember "HOW"

Let us know how it goes...ok?