Notices

1st time to stop drinking in 30yrs & its hell help!

Old 12-30-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yep! I can sure relate to that manila, I use to think I drank BECAUSE of anxiety , depression ect, but since I quit, I realise I was anxoius depressed ect BECAUSE I drank

Slow learner me !

HUGX
leigh
Old 12-30-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Questions:

If the 0.5 med does no work should i take another?
I have no craving for a drink as i am so scarred it will kill me, is that normal?
Should i try to quit smoking while detoxing?
I feel fantastic on this medication, better than for many years, why?
I am so scarred of stopping the medication for fear of exploding?
Why i still get sudden attacks lasting 10 to 15 minutes even though i take the medication?
And as everyone says "how long will this last?" (I could work when i was drunk every night, no hang over apart from the odd panic attack but now I am worried people may think i am "high" on something as i am so relaxed and happy" then bang I have an attack!
* I would strongly recommend following your physicians instructions on taking this medication. If you feel it is not providing sufficient relief then contact you doctor and let him know what is going on as he may decide to change your dose or medication. He is the one best qualified to answer that question.

* Yes it is normal or as normal as one can get. I was terrified to take another drink as I knew it would ultimately lead to my death. That was the reason I sought help in the first place.

* That is dependant upon you. I was able to quit both at the same time and did smoke 3-4 packs a day. But the key for me was realizing that my smoking was connected to my drinking. The more I drank the more I smoked. So when I quit drinking smoking just went out the window also. Not everyone can do that. Do what you feel is right for you. You know yourself better than anyone else.

* The anxiety medicine? If that is what you are referring to then feeling better on it would be the goal of the medication. The reduction of anxiety is the goal of the medication.

* Again what medicine are you referring to? If it is either anxiety medication or medication related to helping you stop drinking then I see no reason to worry right now about stopping them. You doctor will help you with the stopping when the time comes for you to stop or taper them down. If your doctor has not told you to stop them then it is too early to worry about it or even think about it.

* Anxiety medication is not a cure all. If you are trying to quit drinking your it is normal for your anxiety levels to be increased. The medication will not take all of that away. It is intended to reduce the incident and severity of anxiety attacks. The longer that you remain sober the easier it should become for you to deal with these attacks, they should decrease in frequency and severity. If they do not then please talk with your doctor. He may elect to change your medication but he is best qualified to decide what to do.

* No one can accurately predict how long it will last as it varies from individual to individual. If someone notices that you are more relaxed at work and question you (which I doubt they will do, people are usually to caught up in themselves to notice others.) then just take your medicine as you need it and don't worry about them. You have a prescription for the medicine. If you are worried you can always speak to your boss and let them know what is going on so if questions arise they can deal with them.

Welcome to SR and congrats on your journey to sobriety.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

In my experince I suffered from panic attacks and anxiety when I was detoxing and for a couple of months during recovery, never while drinking. They stop after about six months.

During this time I was always under doctors advice, so I agree with other posters, please consult with your doctor. Good luck.
Swamijapa
Old 12-30-2007, 11:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

A few years ago I was prescribed valium, I had never taken 'benzos' before, but had gone thru a traumatic miscarriage. I didn't tell my Dr I was an alconolic. I started drinking again within a month. Then when my drinking got out of control again I went back to AA and stopped drinking but insisted I needed those pills (alprozlam or xanax) because of my anxiety...I wouldn't drink but I HAD to have those!! Well...it was a nightmare. I started to abuse those....and felt out of control, wanting to stay in bed all day, just eat pills and pass out. And eventually I drank again. Ended up in the hospital...again. Finally (thank God) I was able to be detoxed and realized I just couldn't do the pills, they were a solid form of alcohol to me, and I'm a stone cold alcoholic. I've been sober almost 3 years now, and I don't suffer from any anxiety whatsoever now. The first year for me was tough, with cravings, depression, and yes some anxiety....but I got through to the other side. Things are really good these days...I wish the same for you...that you stick it out with your desire to stay sober. It's an incredible journey, brother!
Old 12-31-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

thanks to you all for your kind messages, sharing your stories and advise has helped me to know i am not alone anymore. i will indeed take all of your advice and see my doctor in 2 weeks time when he is back.

take care and thanks again, one point i cannot figure out y the panics started so suddenly? they hit me like a train back in august and never in my life i had those b4? was it my body saying enough is enough?