Notices

Day 11# and unbearable cravings...

Old 12-29-2007, 10:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

hey Need4Change, there are also a couple of books out about dietary support for recovery.

one that I just pulled out for myself is "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" by Joan Mathews Larson

she says that hypoglycemia can trigger primary cravings and recommends cutting out refined carbs, sugar, and caffeine to prevent sugar crashes.

I bet there is probably a thread or two around here with the relevant information or links about diet and helpful supplements.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The bottom line is - as an alcoholic, I need to find out who I am (an alcoholic is WHAT I am) and then I need to find ways to raise my self esteem (despite what we think about ourselves, NO ONe becomes an alcoholic because he/she has high self esteem). I need to explore myself, my options..not just recovery programs...but life options, social options, hobbies, etc. I discovered that the ONLY way to fill my internal voids is through internal means..that means ME. I can't plug my holes with alcohol..relationships..etc. I need to raise my self esteem, becoming healthier from within. I suggest setting realistic goals...working toward one, once accomplishing it, celebrate the victory and set a new one..repeat.....THIS is how I conquered the mental cravings that hung on after the physical cravings subsided.

Regarding AA - First of all, I want you to be sure to understand it is NOT "too bad" that you are not into AA. It is too bad for those who would like to help you using AA concepts perhaps. There are literally infinite options regarding programs of recovery. Also, despite what some say, AA never "saved" anybody. AA may have been a beautiful and extremely useful tool/blessing that many have utilized to save themselves, but neither AA nor any other individual can save another person. Please understand I am not suggesting that those who have said this are "liars" - or that AA wasn't a crucial component to many alcoholics being "saved" - I am simply saying that in the end, it was the individual that did the work. It's kinda like school...completing school doesn't result in a degree, the work that the student puts in results in the degree. As Jersey said, AA is always an OPTION. There are plenty of people that continue to celebrate longterm recovery having been happy and healthy (spiritually, physically, emotionally, etc) for years having never set foot in an AA meeting or ever having glanced at AA literature. It is also true, however, that many folks think that AA whatever the local meeting represents. This is also not necessarily true.

Again, please understand that I am not bashing AA. I think AA rocks and it has helped me tremendously. I just know that AA is not synonymous with recovery.

Thanks for letting me share

..and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!