Notices

Grateful to be sober: thanks SR

Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Awake it is good to hear you did not pick-up. I'm glad that I'm not the only one to hear the voice I thouhgt I was going crazy. That is unless all of you are crazy too. Maybe that's why we relate to each other so well.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by tkdan View Post
That is unless all of you are crazy too.
:rof

It's possible!

Originally Posted by tkdan View Post
Maybe that's why we relate to each other so well.
Thank goodness we're here for each other!

Thanks
Old 12-28-2007, 06:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a job well done.
In my case I'm not actually sure if "the voice" gets weaker or if the cravings, with time and knowledge affect us in a different way.
That is why I consider to work a program extremely important cause in that way we gain strategies, skills and relapse preventions to deal with the horrible cravings in a appropriate way. Keep it up and do not forget to play the tape till the end to "shut up" the voice. Swamijapa
Old 12-29-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Keep busting the rat voice guys.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awake121207 View Post
I have to post this. I want to share my opinion, but I mostly have to post this as a line drawn in the sand between alcohol and my recovery.

I have tried to quit and failed many times. However, using the support of this board I feel this is the only time I have actually been in recovery. Although I am not in AA, I am building a system of support and tools, and I am dedicated to being sober because I want it more than alcohol. I truly feel the voice that argues for it is an enemy within.

I believe I can do it without relapse. If I don't, it will be a choice not to use the tools at my disposal--it's not an inevitability.
Thanks to Omega Man's thread "Confused", I wrote the post above and it has made a huge positive change in my thinking--thanks to all who have participated in that thread so far.

The difference between being in recovery and just not drinking is profound, and I am living this day (#19) in recovery thanks to what I have learned from all here in SR.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I guess I’m making this thread my own little corner of this forum from which to share.

This 21st day of sobriety is a good one. Not like the past two days. From Sunday afternoon to early evening yesterday I went through a horrible period of depression followed by agitation—probably PAWS. Thankfully, I was able to ride it out with the tools I have gathered.

I have found a great deal of support and learned much in this Newcomers section of the forum, and I am very grateful for it.

As I was slipping into the depression on Sunday, I decided to venture out into the Alcoholism section of the forum. It was sad. I only read two threads—it was all I could handle. Perhaps it was bad luck which threads I read; however, unlike what I have experienced here, there was more bickering and positioning for power than support. It seems that just as in the world as a whole, people would rather be “right” than compassionate, and the weak have little shelter.

I find the evangelization for ways to be sober and the infighting within them to be strange.

Again, I am glad there is very little of that in this section of the forum—I hope that continues to be the case because negativity certainly can’t help anyone’s recovery.

I am still grateful to all who post here and support each other.

Peace to each of you in this new year
Old 01-02-2008, 10:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Awake....
I am truly sorry your short experience in our Alcoholism Forum
was not a help to you.

SR has a diverse membership who share from their
perception and various stages of addiction and recovery.

If I look for the negetive ...I can definately find it.
If I look for the positive ....it's everywhere.

Blessings
Old 01-02-2008, 10:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I kinda like the doctor who, when a patient comes in and says 'it hurts when I do this'....he says 'well then *don't* do that'...

You don't like it ? Don't go there.
There's no law that says 'everybody has to think like me' - and that cuts both ways, Awake.

Don't let your mood rob you of a great place to be.

D