Notices

Feeling considerably better today...

Old 12-26-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Smile Feeling considerably better today...

...and I don't have a CLUE why. Possible reasons...

* End of holiday season stresses
* I skipped my Campral today
* I'm finally detoxed (this is day 8#)
* All of the above

While I'm posting, I have a question. I have noticed that people 2 weeks, a month, even several months out (or much longer) post about triggers and cravings, etc. Do the cravings ever end or do they just become less and less frequent?. Is it something you just have to "manage" for a lifetime?.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

- Need4Change
Old 12-26-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Need4Change View Post
While I'm posting, I have a question. I have noticed that people 2 weeks, a month, even several months out (or much longer) post about triggers and cravings, etc. Do the cravings ever end or do they just become less and less frequent?. Is it something you just have to "manage" for a lifetime?.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

- Need4Change
Great job need4change. Glad to see you sticking with it.

As far as an answer to you question goes. This is my experience.
* When I stopped drinking for a year, by just going cold turkey, the cravings did not stop up until the day I drank again, I don't think they really even improved.
* When I stopped using the program of AA, the cravings eased within 30 days, and were gone after that. There have been times when a drink has crossed my mind but it has not been with that obsessivenss that a craving for a drink would bring. Today I rarely think about taking a drink. At the most probably once a year and that is a fleeting thought.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wanted someone from AA to make that 'lifting of cravings through the steps' point before I posted....no reason LOL

For me, I still get cravings (thoughts really - no physical element) mostly in times of stress or sorrow, but like Nan, they're fleeting things with none of the old obsessiveness.

As for the detox, day #8 should see most of the immediate withdrawal done I think.
D

Last edited by Dee74; 12-26-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I'm glad you're feeling better Need4Change . I don't really think I have "cravings"... but more like the fleeting thought of drinking that nandm posted about. Those have def become fewer and fewer as time goes on. I am a little over a year sober and I don't do AA so I can't say that the steps stopped or eased anything in my case.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Nan - did you mean when you did the programme of AA?

I had that experience too. AA made the difference for me. I get the odd craving but I have the tools to avoid drinking. Mostly (99.9%) of the time, I have no desire to drink. Except for maybe five times (and they are getting further apart) I haven't wanted to drink for 4 months and I have 5 months sober.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have cravings anymore, but I think it could be different for everyone.

I am glad you're feeling better.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm approaching one month using AA as my method of recovery. The first two weeks were pretty bad in terms of cravings, and I thought about drinking all the time. The third week they started to become less frequent. This week (week 4) I have actually had days when I only think about getting drunk 1-2 times. This makes me feel great, I no longer really want to get drunk, although on occasion I do think a drink would be nice. Today for example I attended a funeral for a family member's baby. It was very sad, yet I was glad I was able to be there for my family and I will admit, after crying my eyes out I did think drinking would kill the pain.

It must also be noted that about a year ago I tried to stop after being committed to a psych ward although I did not use a program such as AA. The cravings were every single day, all day. I simply didn't have a toolbox with ways to avoid drinking/ thinking about drinking. I spent Christams eve at my parent's house this year (which is also where I dried out last year) and I was outside smoking a cig looking at the stars in the same spot I was standing last year, and reflecting on how much better I feel now that I have a program and some methods to stay clean.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am by far nobody to be giving advice here. But I do know about triggers and cravings. I think it can be different for everyone. Because Sometimes my triggers dont trigger. Thats rare but it has happened. And Sometimes I get over the cravings fast or dont get them at all.
I find when I tend to dwell and dwell and dwell and let them get under my skin that they over power me easier.
Sometimes with me it is mind over matter.
Glad you are feeling better.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Hi Nan - did you mean when you did the programme of AA?

I had that experience too. AA made the difference for me. I get the odd craving but I have the tools to avoid drinking. Mostly (99.9%) of the time, I have no desire to drink. Except for maybe five times (and they are getting further apart) I haven't wanted to drink for 4 months and I have 5 months sober.
Yes, lol that did come across as when I stopped using AA. Not what I meant at all. When I stopped by using the program of AA my cravings were removed.....Thank you for noticing my typo.... Wouldn't want to give someone the wrong impression...
Old 12-26-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm glad you're feeling better Need4Change!

I am not having the same cravings as I have had before when I have (ever so briefly) managed to stop, and I think it's because I chose sobriety this time because I was sick of who I was. It has still been hard, and there have been cravings, but not the same intensity as when I have stopped to please others. The cravings are also far less frequent.

I guess I don't know exactly why it's better this time, but I want to live differently.

I think it has to do with what Tazman53 says about changing one's self rather than just not drinking in his post on this thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1614942

I also think the support from this site has been huge in embracing a new life rather than just not drinking. I'm guessing that's why AA helps so much for some. I used to think it was a matter of me figuring it out, but now I have let go and am seeking help here every day.

I hope it continues to get better for you!!
Old 12-26-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Need4Change,
I know that somehow my sobriety is blessed because from day one of sobriety I have not had to battle any cravings. I don't know why. I went to AA right away, but really didn't worjk the steps at all until year two. I realize that my experience is far from typical and I thank God daily because I don't know what could have (and still can) happen should I have to struggle with this. I do have the tools now to combat any cravings - plus two absolutely awesome kids that need me. There's some motivation!
Mike
Old 12-26-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

It's funny that you posted this today because as of yesterday I would've told you that I have what I call "triggers" that I have to avoid..ie., being anywhere near anyone drinking red wine.

But, as of yesterday, sitting with my sister on her couch and her drinking a glass of red wine. I could smell it from where I was, and...

I THOUGHT THAT IT SMELLED BLECKY!!!!

So, now I can confidently tell you that I no longer have any cravings Need. And I honestly can attribute this to one fact: that I have found a closer relationship with my HP and I have totally surrendered to His will. And I only have gotten to this place because of working the program of AA.

I know that you aren't an AA person, but if you work whatever course of action you decide to take, eventually you won't have any cravings. I'm ten months sober BTW.

I think your doing great! It's good to see..

Karen
Old 12-26-2007, 03:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by merlotmamma View Post
It's funny that you posted this today because as of yesterday I would've told you that I have what I call "triggers" that I have to avoid..ie., being anywhere near anyone drinking red wine.

But, as of yesterday, sitting with my sister on her couch and her drinking a glass of red wine. I could smell it from where I was, and...

I THOUGHT THAT IT SMELLED BLECKY!!!!

So, now I can confidently tell you that I no longer have any cravings Need. And I honestly can attribute this to one fact: that I have found a closer relationship with my HP and I have totally surrendered to His will. And I only have gotten to this place because of working the program of AA.

I know that you aren't an AA person, but if you work whatever course of action you decide to take, eventually you won't have any cravings. I'm ten months sober BTW.

I think your doing great! It's good to see..

Karen
Congatulations Merlot. I was shocked when I first found myself gagging at the smell of alcohol while in recovery. It was a wonderful feeling of release for me. Keep up the hard work it it paying off for you.
Judith
Old 12-26-2007, 07:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm an idiot and an alcoholic.

I must have jinxed the living **** out of myself with my earlier post in this thread. This evening I didn't just have a craving--my alcoholic personality tried to take control like it always has when I have quit. I swear it feels like I am actually possessed when this happens, and when it has been as bad as it was tonight, I have always gone straight to the liquor store and picked up enough to last a few days of blacked out ridiculousness.

I went out with that in mind, but managed to drive to a fast food joint and pig out instead. While I ate, I made up my mind to come post this and humbly retract my earlier post's info. I may not have had frequent cravings these past 15 days, but tonight I seemed to get 15 days worth all at once.

Silver lining--thinking of everyone on this site and knowing that posting this would help is the reason why I'm not drunk right now.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 07:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
gives up the thing he loves

Congrats, Awake!!! I have found myself making that drive waaaay too many times. Hop in the car, drive down to the store were all the clerks know my name. It's like I'm on autopilot the whole way.

Turning around and coming back to SR was one great choice. That's something that I couldn't do right now (handed over the keys and IDs to a friend) - stay strong, you're an inspiration -
Old 12-26-2007, 07:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by little duck View Post
(handed over the keys and IDs to a friend)
That's some good thinking; keep it up!

And thanks for the support. I can't tell you how much it means right now.

Peace
Old 12-26-2007, 07:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'll spare you the boring details of my conscious contact with God, his will for me, and the power to carry that out.
But no, I don't have cravings.