Notices

Q about antidepessants

Old 12-26-2007, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Q about antidepessants

I am new to this. I have been sober for many year. About 3 years ago I relapsed on percs. I am clean now for about a week. My counceler suggested celexa(citalopram). Does anyone have ant expeirience with this or any opinions?
Dave
Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Dave,
And welcome to SR!!!

You might want to post this question on the mental health forum. There are many people there who have experience with different meds.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/mental-health/
Please know, however, that we don't give professional advise as none of us are professionals. We share our experience, strength and hope only. And that each of us may experience meds differently. So, it's always best to share your concerns with your doctor.

However, there are many on the MH forum who have an abundance of experience to share with you.

I wish you well as we both grow in our recovery.

Shalom!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR. Many in recovery also fight with depression or other mental health issues. The suggestion to check out the mental health forum is a great one. I fight with both depression and alcoholism.

There are two schools of thought regarding anti-depressants and recovery. Those that believe part of recovery is learning to deal with depression and that a program of recovery will resolve all depression if worked properly. The other school of thought it the one that I have found to work for me. There are different forms of depression, chemical and situational. I personally fight with a chemical depression. Working my program of recovery has given me some relief but can not address the chemical imbalance and therefor I take the medication to address that issue. I do not believe I would be alive today if I did not accept my MD's diagnosis and take the medication to treat my depression. I have been sober nearly 7 years and on anti-depressants for nearly 6. Only an MD is qualified to diagnose the depression. If you MD has prescribed please take the medication. It can help give you a strong footing while you are working on your recovery.

I hope this helps with your questions.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't used Celexia, but I do take antidepressants. For me there is no question that the depression came decades before the drinking. In fact, it started in my teens. It just took forever to get it figured out.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My doc prescribed me the same med about 3 weeks ago, for some reason I am too scared to take it, so am also interested if anybody has any info :/

Last edited by Room1; 12-26-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take Celexa and it's helped me enormously.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

When I was active in my ADHD meds - I 'stacked' with Celexa which back then was brand new. I don't remember any negative sides. (meaning side EFFECTS)
Old 12-27-2007, 06:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I strongly believe that my zoloft helps me from wanting to go back to drinking.