Notices

New to sober recovery, asking for support

Old 12-25-2007, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Maria

New to sober recovery, asking for support

Hi all,
I am addicted to oxycontin, percocet and alcohol. The pain killers started out as a real need years back, but have turned into an addiction. I have tried to cut back to slowly get myself off this stuff but the addiction is too strong. I know I have a problem, have studied the 12 steps in the past (for alcohol) but fell. The oxycontin and percocet have entered my life since.

I am not sure what treatment program I need at this point but am going to call around tomorrow to the local hospitals. My mind is in a good spot, I am very, very ready to deal with this. I do know from past experience that support is greatly needed. I am an over the hill gal of 50. I find that supporting other people helps me support myself. I love music, baking, gardening and painting. All of which, my passion for dies when the drugs take my brain...

Anyway, I would love to get to know some folks...

Maria
Old 12-25-2007, 07:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Maria,

Congratulations on your decision to get the help and support you need.

I am new to this site as well, but I believe you have found the right spot to give and receive support.

Welcome!
Old 12-25-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Showing up for life today

Welcome to SR, Maria!

You've taken an extremely important step today by admitting you have a problem, planning to seek professional help, and by reaching out for support. Keep reading and posting. There is much knowledge, understanding, and support here.

Best wishes for a clean, sober new year!
Old 12-25-2007, 07:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome Maria, awake, and Ashar! Glad you've joined us, this is a great place to learn and share about recovery, so please keep reading and posting.

I'm an AA person, and I love hearing people share what works for them.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're awesome! Don't ever forget that.
Your decision to seek help will reward you in ways you've never imagined. "Seek and ye shall find". Whatever help you want and need will be there for you.

Keep us posted.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi maria

a very warm welcome...im so glad youve joined us all in our quest for a better life- free from alcohol and drugs.:ghug3

supporting one another is what this forum is all about, and you will most certainly get that in abundance.

let us know how things are going for you

:ghug
Old 12-26-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Maria,

Throwing out a late but very warm welcome to you Welcome to our recovery community. Did you call any hospitals yet? I quit my pill addiction cold turkey (NOT recommended) and went into rehab when there was a bed available. I also attend AA for my alcoholism and it has saved my life - working the steps and working with a sponsor have been vital to my recovery.
Please keep posting and let us know how things are going for you.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 12-26-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Maria

Thanks for the welcome!

thank you all for the warm welcome. i have called two rehab centers that both offer a 30 day program. the thought of leaving my husband that long just makes me ill to think about. I am not sure what to do... I can go to the local hospital for an outpatient detox program but I have this fear I won't be able to do this on an oupatient basis. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best route to take?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Maria,

I believe only you know what you need, and it sounds like you feel that the 30 day programs will be better for you. I understand your feelings regarding leaving your husband for that long, but you have to do what will work.

Whatever route you choose to get sober, the wonderful thing is that you ARE choosing sobriety. Whether it is to help you during an outpatient program or to help when you get out of treatment, keep posting here. The support from this phenomenal group has really helped (day 15 for me).

I wish you the best as you begin this journey.

Peace
Old 12-26-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi Maria,

I agree with what "awake" posted. I sort of know how you feel about being away from your loved ones. I have small kids and have to leave home for extended periods. Perhaps to put the 30 days in a bit of perspective, you will be doing something that will benefit you for the rest of your life. And your worth it. Do whatever it takes.

Best wishes!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

The only time I've had sucess with any sort of sustained sobriety is to do exactly what the health care professionals tell me to do. If they say 30 days, do it.

I was told I needed 5 months in rehab (inpatient) and I did it. It was tough and it's a big committment (any amount of time away from home is a committment).

I'm now in a sober house (for another 4 months away from home) and it has been the best decision I ever made. Except I really didn't decide anything. I'm just doing what I'm told.

It's simple really. Just follow directions.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome Maria .

Also to Ashar & Coleen .

SR is a great source of comfort and info.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Maria,

I don't know which route is the best for you to take, but I want to wish you welcome and I hope you keep posting and reading. There is lots of support here.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Maria:

Great work on your steps to recovery. The kind of work you are doing is very important and I'm really looking forward to reading your progress.

I think it's great that you find music important, I think it's universaly helpful. It's a universal salve.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hi Maria - welcome!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Maria. A warm welcome to SR from the other side of the world.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello Maria and welcome to SR. As you have probably worked out there are plenty of helpful people to offer and support and friendship, best wishes.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello Maria,

WELCOME to SR...

I also had an addiction to opiates...This love affair lasted three yeras...I have been clean from them one year and I can't even begin to tell you how good my life has been...

You can do this...

Thinking of you...:ghug