SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Anyone else alone for X-mas? Tired of relapsing... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/140089-anyone-else-alone-x-mas-tired-relapsing.html)

Surrender63 12-25-2007 08:44 AM

Anyone else alone for X-mas? Tired of relapsing...

This is a lifeline for me today although I know most people are celebrating with friends/family. I've been on a 6 month relapse and have been off my anxeity meds for too long. The past 2 months have been a roller coaster ride. Life feels just crazy to me at the moment. I know what I need to do(hit a meeting) but I also have a beer and a bottle of wine staring at me. The idea of drinking alone again depresses me....Just needed to vent. Anyone else had this during Christmas?

Treasure2Find 12-25-2007 08:52 AM

I've experienced what your going through not only at Christams but at any time of year. There are normally alcothons going on this time of year, 24 hours worth of mtgs. One after another hang in there I've been sober a while and still have this type of thinking. My wife is gone today doing all kinds of good deeds and I'm putting in a cloths dryer, not feeling to good about it being Christmas and having to do what I dont want to do but if I dont get the dryer in I cant get my cloths dry to get to a mtg. Merry Christmas, your not alone!!!!!!!

Alcohol is a Depressent why would it do anything else, heck even if you were drinking with someone right this minute Id be willing to bet you would still feel alone and depressed, I always did.

CatsPajamas 12-25-2007 09:10 AM

Most places step up meetings for times like this as the holidays are stressful for many people.

You're already doing great by posting here instead of drinking. The next thing you could do is pick up the phone and call someone, maybe go out for coffee.

Hugs
Cats

Jersey Nonny 12-25-2007 09:20 AM

I'm in a nursing home, and many of the residents have "gone home" to be with their family. I was happy that mine came to see me on Sunday and yesterday...because going "home" for me is out of the question. Even though I'm in a place with about 200 other people, I feel alone...and, I've been sober for many years.

If I were in your position, I'd be meeting hopping...just like I used to do the bar hopping on holidays! Pull yourself together...put on a nice outfit, some makeup, a lovely perfume...and get out to a meeting, or two, or three!!! No need to be alone today...you're not very good company, unless your in a room with other alcoholics...go, go, go!!! Merry Christmas!!!

Dee74 12-25-2007 11:11 AM

the other posters are right COD...that booze is hardly going to make you less depressed...go out and do something...a meeting's probably better than nothing....

D

curliQ 12-25-2007 11:35 AM

Dump it now, don't think about it, just dump it. I like Jersey's idea. Get yourself all gussied up and go celebrate with a nice dinner and great coffee.

Captain Kirk 12-25-2007 12:25 PM

I'm alone for xmas too.
I stayed in bed till 5pm today (it's 9.30pm here now) and i could here my neighbours partying and having fun with their friends and family. but it will pass. another day or two and everything will return to normal.

Dee74 12-25-2007 01:00 PM

I was alone for Xmas too. I had a great day :)

D

CarolD 12-25-2007 01:05 PM

Welcome to SR!
:)
My Christmas celebration?
A 9 a.m. AA meeting with other AA miracles.
I plan to celebrate tomorrow the same way.

Tomorrow you might want to call your doctor
be honest ...let him/her help you with de tox.

Blessings

Surrender63 12-25-2007 01:20 PM

Blessings, Carol!

I don't believe that I drink enough to go to detox...But, I drink enough to go to AA..Why?...I believe that it's not how much you drink,that's why I keep relapsing, it's what happens inside when you drink and what prompts you to continually drink when "alone". I've always been a loner and for some sick reason drinking temporarily makes it feel ok.. I mean "temporarily"....I'd like a life with more meaning...If that means attending AA meetings for the rest of my life so be it. Anythings gotta be better than this.... Merry Christmas...I'm already tired of it..

Dee74 12-25-2007 01:31 PM

seeing yr doctor needn't mean you being put anywhere CID :)

D

Anna 12-25-2007 01:36 PM

Hi Confused,

I hope you're feeling better by now. It might not be too late to go out to a local shelter and help serve Christmas dinner to homeless people. It would make you feel so much better.

Pilgrim 12-25-2007 01:42 PM

Hi Confused

I'm here! You are part of the SR family.

Merry Christmas!

Steph

Captain Kirk 12-25-2007 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by cofusedindenver (Post 1613909)
I don't believe that I drink enough to go to detox...But, I drink enough to go to AA..Why?...I believe that it's not how much you drink,that's why I keep relapsing, it's what happens inside when you drink and what prompts you to continually drink when "alone". I've always been a loner and for some sick reason drinking temporarily makes it feel ok.. I mean "temporarily"....I'd like a life with more meaning...If that means attending AA meetings for the rest of my life so be it. Anythings gotta be better than this.... Merry Christmas...I'm already tired of it..

I agree, it's not an issue about quantity that makes us eligible to be classifed as alcoholics. It's just the way we are. I believe we were born with alcoholism in our DNA which makes us react in a particuler way to alcohol. If we didn't have this genetic deficiency (or blessing maybe!?) we'd be able to have just one drink and leave it at that. But we can't. We're powerless over alcohol and if we have one we'll continue drinking untill we're on our hands and knees. So I agree, quantity has nothing to do with it.
I've always been a loner too. When I'm sober I'm no good talking to people I don't know and I think I havn't made any new friends in the past 10 years. When I drink I talk to everybody and I used to believe I was the most friendly and sociable guy in the world when I was drinking. I guess the truth of the matter is that nobody wants to argue with a drunk so if a drunk starts talking to you you would probably be agreeable and then disgreatly make an exit. I've never been good at establishing connections with people. So I do understand how you feel.

nogard 12-25-2007 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by aldo1980 (Post 1613882)
I'm alone for xmas too.
I stayed in bed till 5pm today (it's 9.30pm here now) and i could here my neighbours partying and having fun with their friends and family. but it will pass. another day or two and everything will return to normal.

((((((((((((((((((aldo)))))))))))))))) you are no longer alone, we are no longer alone, although we may get lonely :)

barb dwyer 12-27-2007 06:10 AM

hey confused - how's it going?