Notices

Delayed Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms?

Old 12-25-2007, 05:36 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

If I may say so, Need, you sound like a brand new person. Prayers going your way.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Need4Change View Post
Is it the sugar (or chocolate) in chocolate ice-cream that does the trick?. Anyway, thanks for the tip. I had a restless night last night; insomnia, vivid dreams, bird kept squawking and waking me up but I did feel *somewhat* rested upon finally awakening although those two cups of coffee did'nt do me much good (anxiety!). Thanks again everyone and may you all have a blessed and joy-filled Christmas .

PS: Day 7# !!!

- Need4Change
To answer your question, the sugar helps with the shakes. Oldtimers at my group swear by pure honey. I tried it and didn't notice much help. My first sponsor had me eat a miniature chocolate bar and it helped some. I have been told that chocolate ice cream is the best because your body processes it in much the same way that it processes alcohol.

The shakes and insomnia were part of my withdrawals. The emotions waking up are entirely normal too. To quote an AA saying which I hate but is absolutely true.... "This too shall pass."

You've made another day sober so you're that much closer to the end of the withdrawal hell journey. What is great is that once you get through it you don't ever have to do it again if you don't choose to.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 12-25-2007, 07:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Well, I'd rather add yet another "band-aid" to my ever-expanding regimen of medications for high blood pressure, gastritis, depression, anxiety, etc (that I've been on for years anyway) than touch even one more drop of booze but that's just me ...

BOOZE:uzi2:

Incidentally, I had a wonderful Christmas and feel great right now and I hope all of you did too!.

Nite nite...

- Need4Change

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
well, I still contend the med stuff is all short term band aid stuff...but this is you, not me
LOL outa here - have a good night N4C

D
Old 12-25-2007, 08:15 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll take that oh so subtle jibe LMAO

as long as whatever it is you do keeps you off the booze and starts you on the road to recovery N4C - it's a good thing.

Glad you had a nice Xmas.

D
Old 12-26-2007, 04:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Need,

It's great to be able to read about your resolve with this when I come here to check in..

Keep going. I'm proud of you.

Karen
Old 12-26-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

I just can't believe that alcohol withdrawal can be this bad. Other times, it has only taken me 4-5 days to get over the majority of symptoms and start feeling good. The last time, it took 7 days. Today I'm on day 8# and when I woke up this morning, my brain was completely scrambled and I felt like I had been lobotomized during the night. I slept fitfully and had lots of twisted and very vivid nightmares.

My days are almost surreal...like I'm living in another dimension or something. Both my mind and body feel very strange at times. Lots of anxiety (particularly after coffee in the mornings). A few times I have thought I saw something crawling up the wall but this could have just been "perpheral illusions" (or whatever it's called - it's supposed to be normal) or maybe I'm going into some sort of psychotic state although I'm not seeing faces in the wall, hearing voices, etc.

Anyway, I usually feel my worst during the day and it subsides sometime in the evening and I feel fairly normal and relaxed. I don't know if this is caused by alcohol withdrawal, meds or a combination of the two. I just feel really out of it and strange.

Please help me understand what is going on and if this is normal because I am really freaking out over it and did'nt expect to feel this way at all 8 days into my detox.

Thanks so much and I hope everyone here had a FANTASTIC Christmas!!

- Need4Change