Notices

A few quotes...

Old 12-24-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A few quotes...

One of my favorite magazines arrived in the mail this morning. It features a page of quotes, and as I was making meatballs in the kitchen I opened to that page and read. I thought I'd share a few. The first one made me think of Rob Z, because of his post about rethinking seeing his story as inspirational. (I still do!)

"No matter what you're feeling, the only way to get a difficult feeling to go away is simply to love yourself for it. If you think you're stupid, then love yourself for feeling that way. It's a paradox, but it works. To heal, you must be the first one to shine the light of compassion on any areas within you that feel unacceptable." -Christiane Northrup

I also liked:

"This body we have, this very body that's sitting here right in this room, this very body that perhaps aches, and this mind that we have at this very moment, are exactly what we need to be fully human, fully awake, and fully alive. Furthermore, the emotions that we have right now, the negativity and the positivity, are what we actually need. It is just as if we looked around to find out what would be the greatest wealth that we could possibly possess in order to lead to a decent, good, completely fullfilling, energetic, inspired life, and found it right here." -Pema Chodron

And finally, as a kind of caveat to the first two quotes:

"No amount of fine feeling can take the place of faithful doing." -William Barclay.

Anyway, I've been struggling with mood swings in these early days, and getting that magazine in the mail and finding those quotes seemed like a real gift. Helped me put things in perspective and lifted my spirits a little.

Here's to faithful doing, and to the promise of good, completely fulfilling, energetic, inspired lives for all of us!

Happy holidays to all...
Old 12-24-2007, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess nobody -- except tellus (Thanks!) --got this. I feel like I am on the island of misfit recoverers.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is no real help for me here. Goodbye.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
where the light is

Well, I was typing something when your last message came through.

I was thinking about the first quote (I like all the quotes actually). I've always thought of compassion as being directed at others, not on oneself. I've read books that basically state that the path to happiness is through compassion for others. This quote reframes it for me in a good way. That I have to be gentle on myself, especially when my emotions are so raw. It does make me feel better.

And in general, I feel like I am on the island of misfit recoverers most of the time.

Best wishes.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

I just got through Christmas with my ex's family, and if anyone feels like a misfit at the moment, it's me...

Everyone drinking except me (not heaps, but enough). Everyone knows we've split up. I've spent most of the day hanging out with the kids, 'cos the adults are idiots.

This is the only Christmas i could have this year, and it was almost bearable - I tried to make myself useful.

Those quotes have brought me back to Earth, so thanks. It's useful to me to think of what I just went through as a necessary prerequisite to being alive, and wholly awake, but it's been a hard day alright.

I wish you guys all the best, it's 5pm now and pretty much over, everyone's gone home and it's just me, the ex, and her parents. Will relax tonight and read new Xmas book - Ben Elton rules. I walked away when I had to, made sure I had water at all times, and kept myself as busy as I needed to. I'm a bit grumpy, but I still feel better than if I was drunk or hungover.

Merry Christmas! (and thanx for the quotes dude, it's obviously a strange couple of days for people here - pls stick with it, don't dismiss the forum because of the one day most people aren't at home on their PC's).

ndz
Old 12-24-2007, 10:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Island of misfit recoverers ?
LOL that's so going in my sig file

Happy Holidays Trakin
D
Old 12-25-2007, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Gravity, NDZ and Dee for reaching out to me. I think i may be one of those who are beyond hope. I didn't make it through the holidays the way I wish I had. Forget the island of misfit recovererrs....Right now I live on the island of just plain old misfits. The island of self-hate, the island of sadness, the island of the same old thing. I hate myself. The people I love deserve better from me. .
P.S. I need help. i have nowhere else to go....
Old 12-25-2007, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hi Trakin,

I don't like generalizing but I really don't believe anybody is beyond hope. In my time, I have seen so many people pull themselves out of seemingly hopeless and really horrible situations. Truthfully, it is these people I admire the most.

Personally, there were times that I gave up on myself & I believe people gave up on me. While I am no where out of the woods right now, I'm not giving up today. Right now, that's all that matters to me.

Wishing you my best!
Old 12-25-2007, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((trakin)))

No one is beyond hope. You're coming here and asking for help, so that's a good thing. Most of us didn't get to recovery easily or quickly.

And thanks for the quotes. I like to read the Reader's Digest when I have time, and I always love the quotes part.

Keep posting and keep trying!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 12-25-2007, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Showing up for life today

Dear Trakin,

The fact that you're here reaching out tells me that you're in no way beyond hope. We're all here because we need help. Right now, you're just feeling hopeless, which we all feel at times, especially on a day of great expectations, such as Christmas. The holidays are hard, but they're almost over. Tomorrow is a new day, a day in which we all can change what's not working. Don't give up. Stay here with us. Together we're stronger. Tonight, treat youself as kindly as you would treat a dear friend who is feeling down in the dumps.

Sending you love and hugs and hope.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Trakin,

I looked online this past Saturday night hoping to find some support because I was feeling hopeless and helpless. It felt like all the other times I had failed--I felt despair creeping up on me.

I found this place, and it is helping.

You say you didn't make it through the holidays the way you wanted. Maybe you can show yourself the compassion the first quote speaks of and give yourself a pass.

Start fresh and continue to reach out for support.

Wishing you peace and strength