Notices

Just checking in

Old 12-23-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just checking in

Hey guys...just checking in ,and needing some SR support/chat. i am on day 8, and aside from having an extreme craving for a drink today, feeling pretty good. i keep getting worried about it feeling so good, and then getting overconfident! being here with my family has been good but has been trying at times. my mom has asked me if i wanted some wine every single nite i've been here, and has gone as far as asking over and over again. i am not disclosing things to her at this point. i have seen her deal with my older brother, and be in complete denial about his alcoholism and other problems. for right now, i feel like this is very much a personal quest, and in due time, i will divulge the fact that i am in recovery...not that people haven't noticed that i needed it in the first place. it has just been interesting to see that my mom was so accomodating. there is a lot of booze in the house which makes it even worse, but i am damned if i give in to temptation...i tried to remember what i read last nite about cravings lasting anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes, and i have found it is true. i have also not had a cigarette in 2 days,,,which i cannot believe. i hadn't planned this, but it is so damn cold outside, having a cig. is out of the question. maybe i can keep it up. hope everyone is doing well.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Wine-not! View Post
Hey guys...just checking in ,and needing some SR support/chat. i am on day 8, and aside from having an extreme craving for a drink today, feeling pretty good..
You might check out this thread "For those w/Less than 2 wks Sobriety Only Please." There seem to be several people there that also need to talk. Good to see you hanging in here.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice job, Winenot,

When I got sober the last thing my family was gonna do was offer me booze. They hid all of it, which was good. Keep up the good work!
Mike
Old 12-24-2007, 02:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Good work! I have flat out told everyone that I am NOT drinking, and I've been getting my own drinks just to make sure I've got water/juice/coffee/tea at ALL times...

You are incredibly brave, and I think we all know you can do it! Enjoy your Christmas, and the memories that you'll be able to retain... I've been following your progress (same day as me), so keep it up!
Old 12-24-2007, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking in - and well done on reaching day 8 - just remember, it does get easier, so hang in there! I'm glad you're here with us.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep it up!! You're doing great. I'm so sorry you don't have the support of your family- that has to make it just that much harder.

As you said, it's a personal quest!
Old 12-24-2007, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! your words really help. i think my mom would tell me i'm exaggerating if i told her i had a problem. my brother has been so far gone at times, and she basically just sits there and says....oh, i just don't know what he's going to do? instead of saying ok guys...we need an intervention. i think it's a cultural thing too though....i am hispanic, and in my country drinking is so widely accepted and rarely seen as a problem...you have to be 3 sheets to the wind 24/7 for someone to think you have a problem....when we all know that's not the case! i think eventually i'll feel comfortable enough to tell everyone....i haven't even told my husband!! he's in afghanistan, and we talk, but i feel like i want to have a few weeks under my belt before i tell him...i don't know why i feel this way? anyways,,,,feeling pretty good, and it is getting easier. finding this site has been incredibly helpful!
Old 12-24-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work! Hang in, despite family issues, it will get easier! Hugs, Jomey
Old 12-24-2007, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I think you are making good solid progress
Well done on your sober time
Old 12-25-2007, 02:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My mother thinks that if i'm not drinking or eating certain foods, that all that goes out the window when i visit. She constantly tries to offer me things, but then she has always been like that, looking after me. Can't be easy for you but keep battling on Wine-Not and will say a prayer for your husband, have a happy Christmas.