Notices

For those w/Less than 2 wks Sobriety Only Please.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

For those w/Less than 2 wks Sobriety Only Please.

At the recommendation of some of the members who've been around awhile; I thought I'd try to start a new thread for those of us new to sobriety with less than 2 weeks of sobriety.

I thought we could compare notes on how things are going.
How have you been dealing with the holiday season, cravings, family?
Are you attending meetings?
Is your family involved or are you doing this on your own?

Today is day 7 for me; my last drink was last Sunday around 7PM, I think.

Monday-Wednesday we're pretty rough. I attended my first AA meeting Wed; night and another Friday night. Both we're very helpful, in fact I don't ever remember laughing as much sober as I did at my Friday night meeting.

I had this picture in my head of AA meetings being smoke filled rooms, full of broken people with sad stories. How wrong I was. It was quite the opposite, I found a room full of people laughing, talking about everything possible, work, families, etc.

I'm attending my 3rd meeting tonight and I'm expecting it to be fun and interesting. I've already been told it's quite different from the other two I attended, which in themselves, we're night and day, in terms of the people and general feel. The structures were the same but meeting 2 had a totally different vibe than meeting 1.

Physically, I feel pretty good. Cravings come and go but their not bad and don't last that long. It's more just the random thought, "man, a beer would be good right about now"; but I honestly don't want to drink again. I wasted so much time drinking, it took all my motivation away.

Anyway, please join me on this thread if your brand new to sobriety.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, today is day 3. Yesterday was pretty rough with the internal jitters. About half way through the day I actually felt drunk. I think that may have been the brain fog I've heard talked about. I just felt out of it, but like on speed at the same time. I don't think I've ever stuttered so much. My heart stopped palpatating but I was getting lots of body aches.

I decided to tell my husband. He responded with pride and support. I'm still so ashamed that I've let myself come to this, but enough of that. Today is new day.

Today I'm a bit jittery and it's really hard to grab that word that is on the tip of my tongue. My vision is really blurry. The week before I stopped it felt like my eyeballs were swollen. They don't feel that way anymore and I can only guess the swelling caused by alcohol is receeding. Hopefully the blurry vision will recede too. I craved a lot last night. I've found if I keep myself bloated with water I have fewer cravings. But, I have no desire to trash these hard won days with going back.

Now, I'm off to make our annual Christmas cookies.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Hi Curli - I'm so glad you told your husband. It was a hugh relief for me when I opened up to my wife.

Stay hydrated, lot of water and fruit juices. I found that bananas help with the muscles aches and cramps. I didn't get them bad, only in my kness, but the potassium in bananas will lessen that. Try a good vitiamin B complex, that will also help with energy.

The alcohol we we're chugging down, had a lot of suger in it. So make sure your eating regularly, so your blood suger doesn't get too low. Try snacking on healthy stuff throughout the day. I find myself getting really cranky and the cravings are worse if I go too long without eating something.

You'll feel better tomorrow. I think the 1st three days are the worse. You'll hit day 5 on Christmas and will feel even better.

Stick with it.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Well. I am new to sobriety once again.
I have never gotten more than 60 days in a 20 year addiction. Today I am on day 4 after a 3 day run.
The last time I went to pick up. I was so sick with antisipation I was throwing up and heaving and coughing like crazy all the way there.
I havent done that in years. And even though I still picked up. I knew right then I was really sick.
I even said out loud to myself. " I'm sick."

The next day I decided it was finally time for me to surrender. Quit thinking I can do it alone and my way.
I have been to one AA meeting. But felt out of place because I am an addict.
My truck has finally bit the dust. It wont start and I dont know why. Which at this point is a good thing.
Cop spot is 30 mins away. I cant use the excuse I need to work as a way out of seeking treatment either.
All I do is smoke the money anyway. So what difference does it make?
Anyway. I am going to try and get into treatment Friday. I would like to spend the holiday with my family and I need to go to SS Thurs. Then Fri I will be going to a hospital which has inpatient treatment in it. But there are no guarantees I will get in that day. Tney require you tyo go through the ER and be medically cleared and it depends on if they have a bed available. If not I will be putting myself on a list to be next for a bed.
This whole year and the last 20 years of my life have been a big waste.
I have finally just let my head hang and threw up my arms and said "I surrender!!!"
You got me. I am beat. I need help!!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Chi - Glad your here with us. I hope everything works out with you getting into a treatment program. Please stay positive and think of us if you get any stray thoughts into your head. You can do it.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Hi all, I'm on Day 8 here - over the majority of withdrawal symptoms, staying with my ex-fiance and her family at the moment which is a bit weird.. but it' s ok, I'm trying to spend some time to myself.

I have eaten nothing but fresh fruit and vegetables, meat once a day and vitamin B tablets and a herbal tincture of milkthistle, hops and liquorice. I think this has had a huge impact on how I'm feeling, cos I feel better than I think I deserve to

I went to meeting yesterday, in the suburb I grew up in. It was a kind-of full circle experience, as it was 20 years ago that I first got drunk in the park next to the hall the meeting was in. Lovely people, and I really felt like I was ready to move into a new life.

I am meeting old friends today, who I have already told I'm not drinking, so I'm really looking forward to that. I will admit that I had thoughts of "one or two beers won't hurt, no-one will know etc", but I put them firmly out of my head with "I'LL KNOW" and that was enough to stop them. I don't want to drink any more.

Heading out soon, I wish you all the best for sobriety one day at a time, and sincere congratulations to everyone who has made it past Day 1.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Welcome - nodrinkingzone.

Glad to here you doing OK, day 8, good job. I think that makes you the most senior member of this thread so far.
We'll miss you when you graduate to Wk 3.

We have family in Australia, started in Melbourne, then Sydney, but they now live in Brisbrane (sp?). I visited several times, love it there.

Stay positive and have a great Holiday.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
where the light is

Day 7 here. Feel good physically. Been working out, eating & smoking way too much but I'll leave those matters for another day . Nodrinkingzone would not approve of my diet .

Still beating myself up over drinking related stuff from the past. There seems to be quite a bit of this going on and I really feel for others on this one. What helps me are two old sayings:

1) You only live once 2) You can't change the past

Even though I do tend to live in the past too much, I really don't want to spend the rest of my days kicking myself for what I have done/what could have been. Life is way too precious. In reality, I have accomplished some good things and lived a pretty good life so far. What has happened has happened, perhaps for a reason. Much better to focus on what I am going to do today and in the future.

So far so good with cravings. I've had some recent practice dealing with them and feel okay. Just have to try and keep my emotions in check. I know that I have to take each day as it comes and today has been fine.

I have been attending AA meetings for the first time and have been using a "take what you need" type of approach. I am pretty open minded and am going there to learn & get support. So far so good. My first meetings were kind of WTF but the last one was really helpful.

Best wishes everyone!
Old 12-23-2007, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day five for me...

The mood swings are pretty bad, but mostly I'm ok. Getting through the holidays will be a challenge. Also, I have a wedding to go to.

Best to everyone here...
Old 12-23-2007, 05:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I know this is norti as I have more than 2 weeks, but I can't resist I just wanna jump in and say hi I think your all so brave and such an inspiration.

Love Kevin
Old 12-23-2007, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Kevin. Today has been hard so I appreciate it.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

This is day 12 for me, but this is not my first try. I've never made it more than a few months in 17 years, but this time is different in one respect--I stopped this time because I don't want to be a drunk anymore. Every other time has been to try and please someone else. My wife didn't even know I was trying until the 2nd day this time.

Only my wife and my mom know I'm doing it, and I have asked them to not tell others. I also am not talking about it this time because I have found talking about it makes it worse for me.

On the other hand, I think the support of this site will help--writing feels different. I found this site last night looking for support on the web because yesterday was really hard--Christmas party at my in-laws' with lots of others drinking. I even received a limited edition bottle of micro brew as a present. I had to pour it out this evening because I can't even take having it in my house.

I wish each of you the best, and I appreciate your support.

We can do this.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by awake121207 View Post
I've never made it more than a few months in 17 years, but this time is different in one respect--I stopped this time because I don't want to be a drunk anymore. Every other time has been to try and please someone else.
This was a huge step for me. I want to be sober more than I want to be drunk. Out of control/blacked out is f***ing scary. Now if I can quit pretending that I can have a few beers. I accept reality 90% of the time but it is the 10% that I have to deal with.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Welcome Gravity, Trakin and Awake!
You all going to make it and so am I.

I'm using this thread as motivation, when I reach 15 days, I'm out here, no more post on this thread. Turn this thing over the next wave of brave and sober people coming in.

Awake, you only have 3 more days big guy, then we're going to have to ask you to move on and celebrate elsewhere.

I too am tired of being the "guy" at parties, the one everyone talked about the next day. You know, the guy that embrassed his wife, couldn't walk straight and generally made an A-- of himself. Enough of that, I want sobriety more than I want a beer and I sure don't miss the hangovers.

I had some really bad cravings hit me about an hour ago at the mall, didn't know if I was going to make it. Had to get out of there and come home to this board. Good thing I have an AA meeting in about an hour, I really need it tonight.
Knew I shouldn't have left all this last minute Christmas shopping but I been focused on more important things lately - like my sobriety.

Thanks for listening.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Omega, thanks for setting this thread up--I'm glad I caught it before it was too late!

Out of control/blacked out and "that guy" have been my thing for so long, I have realized that I am actually having to come up with a new way of seeing myself.

When I'm OK and not fighting the cravings/idiot voice in my head--I find myself asking who I want to be. I'm taking slow steps away from who I have been for nearly two decades, but I've got to figure out what the sober me is going to be/do.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by awake121207 View Post
I've got to figure out what the sober me is going to be/do.
In all honesty, I find this to be the exciting part!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Too true, but I find it a bit daunting as well.

An adventure to be sure!

I love playing music, but I find myself not wanting to pick up a guitar because playing and drinking were indistinguishable for me.

Becoming a sober musician will be a journey, but I don't know when I'll be ready for it.

Not today . . . but sober is enough for today!
Old 12-23-2007, 07:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey everyone
I have 2 days clean right now and all i can think about is getting high. Im scared that i dont even want to get clean. My mind is so confused and cluttered right now that i dont even know what i want. All i know is that i want to smoke crack....Please help.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mizxgirl View Post
. . . i dont even know what i want.
I know you feel horrible, and I'm sorry. You have to believe that you do know that you want to be clean--otherwise you wouldn't be here wanting others to help support you in that.

I believe we can do this, and it does get better with time. You can stay clean tonight.

Can you go to a meeting or talk to someone?

We're here for you.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you. Are there any good online meetings or chats that you know of?