Notices

For those w/Less than 2 wks Sobriety Only Please.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think it's great what you are all doing for your families. Stay strong.

My day 14 will come tomorrow too, and I will miss posting here.

As for my bottom . . . my alcoholism has really progressed over the past year in its effects, and I have had a few hypoglycemic seizures--including at work--the day after a multi-day bender. Sadly, none shocked me into sobriety, but I look back and think of when I had to pull over because I couldn't use my hands, or when I paced my classroom before a class wondering if I was still going to not have the use of my hands when the kids arrived.

They were low points that should have made me stop. And I think combined with some embarrassing blacked out evenings, they have finally helped me not want to be a drunk.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:46 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I never hit bottom either. I have been very lucky.
Here is a sad story......speaking of kids and hangovers
I was very very very hungover one morning and I had taken my kids to school to rush home and hug the toilet....and then the school called my daughter had fell and hit her head and need to be taken to the hospital so I took her to the hospital with my head throbbing, my stomach turning and managed through sitting there for a few hours. On the way home driving down the highway I was so sick I rolled down the window and puked and then pulled over.......while my injured little girl asked if I was okay.......now how sad is that? Not a mom I would want for sure.

Omega I am like you I live in a nice house, nice husband, get the luxury of being a stay at home mom. Look like a very put together person but every night there I sat with a glass of wine after other glass until I was sleepy and went to bed.

almost like chill pill and sleep medication for me
SAD-I sure didn't imagine this is what I was going to be when I grew up however I am glad I realized it and am changing it
Old 12-24-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Wine-not

It is nice to know that they are people like you and me=) I always thought no way mothers could have a drinking problem. My husband works alot and alot of nightshifts and I found it was my destressor too.

I can already tell changes at 13 days. My face is less swollen. I am starting to realize that I can do things without a buzz. I don't have to worry about getting everything done before drink-thirty. Actually drinking was more of a chore now I think about it. When to do get it, when to be home to drink it, when to not answer the phone in case I slurred my words, what to eat some doritos if someone knocked on my door to talk to me, where to hide it in the kitchen so the kids didn't see it. MAN, what a pain in the @ss!
Old 12-24-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Welcome Lambda. Yeah, I'm like all of you. I'm a mom, a wife, the keeper of the world. And I'm a drunk. Today is day 4. Lambda, I was on day 1, 3 days ago. My mood swings were so bad yesterday. I just felt the need to cry a lot. So I did.

Know what I did today? My husband asked me a question about something that happened last night and I just threw out the answer to him. I didn't have to search for that answer or play stupid (and then feel stupid), I just answered. We both noticed it. And he had a big smile on his face.

This sucks, it really does. I like to drink. I like the calmness it gives me. It sucks not to drink. But it felt good to wake up this morning early and just be awake.

As the three musketeers used to say, "All for one and one for all."
Old 12-24-2007, 04:45 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
where the light is

Just thought I would pop in. A long day 8 nearly over - last minute stuff, visiting, errands. I also have two small children and they are so fired up about Christmas. It really is all about the kids.

I remember reading a post last year about a parent's sobriety being such a gift to their children. I'm not drinking tonight and my kids are guaranteed to have a well rested Dad in the morning to share their joy!

Take care everyone!
Old 12-24-2007, 09:13 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Day 8 for me to and I'm so glad. Not a very good day but at least I'm still sober.
Not sure what it is, been kinda depressed all day long. I didn't sleep well last night, couldn't breath very good, been fighting a cold. So I'm hoping it's just that I'm tired and a little bit sick.

I was in a such great mood Friday and slept like 10 hrs - I never do that. Good mood on Saturday and a great AA meeting Sat; night.

Really thought a lot about drinking today, way more than I would have liked. Then I got home and we had our Christmas eve neighborhood dinner next door, almost everyone drinking, not much, but everyone has a glass of wine or beer. That didn't really bother me, my next door neighbor has been sober for 12 yrs, so at least I was alone.

Anyway - I hope I feel better in the morning, this was the worst day, mentally, that I've had since I quit drinking.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:51 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
gives up the thing he loves

hey Omega

i was saving my first post for an introductory thingy, but whatever, in the spirit of tending to things as they need to be tended to, i'll do it here.

at about 2am i will have done my first week sober since i started drinking daily at 21. i'm a youngin' at 22, but wise to the ways of alcohol. it took my mom 45 years to get sober, and even though she managed to function and keep a really good job, i know i don't want to live like that.

physically i'm doing okay right now. there isn't much cravings, the shaking and night sweats have stopped. i can feel insomnia creeping up on me, i think i just might be up all night and open christmas presents all bleary eyed. (speaking of, i should start wrapping...)

mentally, it's that cliche of an emotional rollercoaster. my family usually opens a small present on christmas eve, but i was too busy crying in my room to come out and participate. however, they know what i'm going through and are very supportive - even if it makes me feel very disappointed, ashamed, etc etc, you know the deal.

nothing much else to say. thankfully the liquor stores are closed. and thankfully i have some of the best friends and family in the whole world. you really can't ask for more than that...

except, maybe a 12 pack and a 40 ounce...

(bad duck! no!)

(thanks for starting this thread too, you rock.)
Old 12-24-2007, 11:27 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

To all in the less than 2 week crew,

It has officially been 2 weeks since my last drink--technically it will still be several hours until it has been 2 weeks with me sober and I will be moving on from this great thread (thanks Omega)

Yesterday and the day before were really hard days, and I don't think I could have gotten through them without SR.

Today was a very good day, and I think that was largely due to the honesty of those here and the inspiration each of you has given me.

Although I have been a drunk for half of a 34 year life, I have been sober for a few months before, and I know it gets better. The swings get smaller and shorter, so hang in there. Do whatever you have to do to get through today and know that it will be better.

When it gets better and good days become more of a norm, please don't make the mistake I made last time and think you can have one--never quit getting through today without one.

I plan to take care of my sobriety this time and not let it slip away--because when it did slip, a year passed in a drunken haze before I woke up this time. It was a much worse year than any other year previous--this disease really does get more and more horrible.

I wish you all the best and look forward to posting with you in other threads for a long, sober, time to come.

We can do this.

Peace.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:45 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Welcome Little Duck!

Glad your here with us. Your going to have a great Christmas, you'll be starting on your 2nd of week of sobriety!

It's great that you have the support of your family. Try not to be too hard on yourself, you had the courage and wisdom to make a better life for yourself. You should be proud of yourself for facing it head-on. It took me a long time to work up the guts to do what I needed to do.

You checked yourself so fast, 1 yr, give or take. Good Duck, Good Duck!

Stick with it and us.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:04 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Nohangovrs4me and lambda;
I am so glad to see you two on here and know that i am not alone in this as a mom to two young ones. i too am fortunate to live in a great house, have had a great education and nursing career for 12 years, and now i have the luxury of pursuing a masters in exactly something that would make me happy to pursue...without the importance of money earning potential. why then am i so destructive? why can't i love myself more enough to not go on drinking binges? i don't know the answer, and i am just glad that i have gotten to a point where i am fed up with my behavior....i am afterall no longer a youngin'! i think i just learned to use drinking as a way of coping with loneliness and anxiety, and it has gotten even worse with hubby being gone. it is so funny how people like me and others can look so happy and well adjusted to strangers, yet be so dysfunctional! i am glad to have the support of everyone here, and thrilled to see other moms that are having as hard a time at this as i'm having....it just makes me feel less alone , and it makes me realize that not all moms out there are martha stewarts, betty crockers, stepford wives etc.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:05 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Smile Our 1st Graduate

Awake121207 is leaving us with 2 full weeks of sobriety!

Congratulations! Now get your butt out of here and don't come back (no slipping), even when you miss us.

We'll all be joining you in a short time.

:HONYnewyear025firew
Old 12-25-2007, 01:07 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Another Graduate

We'll lost another one!

So long NoMorehangovers4me! We'll miss you; at least for the next week or so.

Stay strong and Congratulations on the 1st 2 weeks of the rest of your new and sober life!
Old 12-25-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Showing up for life today

Hi guys,

Omega Man, this thread is such a great idea. I'm on Day 5 today. I got so drunk on the 20th (had my first blackout ever) and was so hung over on the 21st (too dizzy all day to stand up) that I haven't wanted to drink since then, but I know I will want to. I'm determined to graduate successfully from this thread. From my previous quits, I know the first three months are the hardest. After that things get better and the frequent cravings and thoughts of drinking lessen. I hope there is another thread to graduate to. It's hard to identify with those who have been sober for a long time. It's comforting to be here with people who are also getting through the first days of sobriety.

Today is a great day not to drink.

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-25-2007, 07:30 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Oops. This was an accidental duplicate post.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:55 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Welcome to all us newbies. I gotta say it again. I'm amazed at how many people are just like me. Moms, dads, good workers, great lives. Mine got really bad last year while DH was in Iraq for 15 months and during that time my niece was battling and lost the battle with cancer. She was 7. It was my escape. Then when DH got back, it just got worse. He may have been home, but the war was far from over for us. I just used it to escape because I couldn't handle it. Before I knew it, the problems were no longer problems, I was the problem.

So here I am, day 5. No cravings last night. Of course, I enforced the madatory family fun rule (a favorite of mine especially with mine getting older) and we played some board games. I have kept my trusty bottles of water near and when I feel a craving I down it. Then my gut says, "You want what, yeah, I don't think we could fit another milimeter in here" and then by the time my body processes it, the craving is past. I felt pretty good yesterday, but I did have a few places where I got real jittery inside and a few places where I was kinda foggy. It almost feels like being drunk. I have been having trouble falling asleep but that's because DH and my dog snore like freight trains. Now I have to get used to falling asleep without the help.

I'm rambling.

Big, fat, honking, kielbasa sized congrats to our 2 weekers. Please visit often but don't stay!! I'll see you on the other side!!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:23 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by Ashar View Post
I hope there is another thread to graduate to. It's hard to identify with those who have been sober for a long time. It's comforting to be here with people who are also getting through the first days of sobriety. Today is a great day not to drink.
Thinking the same thing. We will need a thread for 0 to 30 days or something like that. It is a great day not to drink. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Welcome aboard Ashar - I'm Omega, your alcoholic greeter!

Thanks for joining us newbies, please stop in as much as you can.
We're experts in blackouts, so you'll fit right in. During my last blackout, someone moved our hallway wall and I broke my nose. If I ever find out who moved that wall, their in trouble.

For everyone in here with me, it's getting a little crowded, so please help me welcome the new and send off our graduates in style.

Curli - your doing awesome!

Day 9 for me today. 1st Christmas being sober. Normally, I have a buzz on by this time, champagne breakfast and all. This time around, I'm playing Star Wars with my son and not napping on the couch. Feeling pretty damn good.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by curliQ View Post
I'm amazed at how many people are just like me. Moms, dads, good workers, great lives. Mine got really bad last year while DH was in Iraq for 15 months and during that time my niece was battling and lost the battle with cancer. She was 7. It was my escape.
CurliQ,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your niece. Going through such a horrible tragedy while your husband was in Iraq had to be unbearable. I'm another everyday person who used alcohol (almost) everyday to escape too, but I realize it just made everything much worse. Like you, I'm on day 5. I'm thankful for this thread. I know we can do this together.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:00 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

Omega - that is great news, man. Well done, I hope you've had the best Christmas ever - and that goes for everybody here.

I'm on Day 10, fixed two broken pottery sculptures (poorly posted Xmas presents) yesterday, this morning I re-installed Windows for my Father-In-Law, made tea for my ex, and am about to go get fresh fruit for brunch.

Just being able to read where you all are has inspired me every day. I don't have children, and my fiance left me because I'm a drunk, but I can relate to everyone here in some way or another - the crutch, the medication, the way of removing the pain of life - man, you're all brave.

All the best, will post from Destination B in the next day or two... Take Care

ndz
Old 12-25-2007, 02:08 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Force Is Strong In This One

Hey all, great thread
Day 2.5 for me, the aches and strains are getting less and less, my sleeping is abit strained at best.
My moods are totally swinging, one moment im very clingy and needy to the next moment where the smallest thing in the world is winding me up, i feel like a james bond baddy snapping at my wife, but shes been cool and is happier to have me to be showing signs of withdrawl rather than signs of being drunk.
Looking forward to tomorrow morning, another day between me n drink