Notices

Hello!!!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello!!!

Been free, a little over 2 years. I used to drink a little over a liter (rum, whiskey, vodak, doesn't matter what it was) everyday day. I didn't seen any professional, did not consult with any one, Just one day wokeup and quit. Some thing that happened personally made me quit it.

I love drinking, nothing like it. I am clean but have strong urges to get back to it. I have been resisting the temptations the last 2 years. I want to pick up a drink just a little beer, but we all know whats going to happen after that. I picked up other hobbies and preoccupied myself with a lot of activities, life is good. But the moment I catch myself alone, those thoughts creep in. When I am successful and really happy, the urge comes back in, 'hey this is a happy moment why not a drink', same goes for any other situation.

I am very very weak, and I am hoping to not touch a drink.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you! keep reaching out! hugs, k
Old 12-22-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi jdrunk - welcome

Have a good look around and keep posting - read a few posts here that hopefully will give you strength. What did you do yesterday to stay sober.? Try doing that again today.

Do you know anyone else in a similar position.? I'm off to an AA meeting tonight, plenty of people there that will give me support and keep me sober today. I need the support, so I go.

Keep posting.

JC
Old 12-22-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcome !
Old 12-22-2007, 09:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jdrunk - do you have any sober friends that you can hang out with ? There is a lot of them in AA meetings...
Old 12-22-2007, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

2 years is excellent!!!
We all get urges. We have to wait them out. You know the
drill. Keep doing what you have been and you will be just
fine.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi J!
Nice meeting you and congratulations on your 2 years! Keep posting Lots of good people on SR and at AA too!!
Keep keeping on!
Dee
Old 12-22-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

Congratulations on your sober time ..
Old 12-22-2007, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You dont have to do this alone, MY power whom I used to call "Will" was of no use to me , I found another in AA meetings , along with a bunch of supportive fun sober friends

Why not give it a go ?

HUGX
Leigh
Old 12-22-2007, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
tee

HI JDRUNK
like you i have been sober over two years, i drank every day too. and i don't
attend AA but i have tried it, i just never felt comfotable. and almost every day for one reason or another i have craveings i drank all my life thats what i did for every situation, holidays, saddays, happydays, everyday.
i thought the craveings would have left by now. [they have lost some of there intensity.] but i have learened to not dwell on them i know they will come and try to let them go just as quick. there is a reason i stoped drinking and thats what i try to remember.
why don't you try AA and let us know how it goes
Old 12-22-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lurker

I do AA, and for me my desire to drink has for the most part left. I know if I pick up it will kill me. Sounds like you are well. Keep up your hodies. I wound not trust those cravings. In my expierence they lie. Welcome.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 2 years. Someone said something earlier that has helped me. "I timed my cravings and found that they lasted 7 minutes. I knew I could live through 7 minutes of it." (pretty sure I'm paraphasing that). I've been trying to live through each craving as it comes and then rejoicing that I beat that one craving.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words. My wife was a drug addict for 15 years and she quit [before I met her]. She has been free of any kind of drugs for the last 15 years. She is my inspiration and she was there through my addiction. She was always telling me that I am heading in the wrong direction and I did not believe her, sure enough she was right. I thank god she is in my life.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR J. I can so relate. I did not using/drinking on my own for 20 years and had those thoughts over and over. I kept myself busy busy busy, wrote books, started a business, had a good realationship, we had a daughter.

But I was always in danger when I was on my own. One day I had just one drink, just one bottle of wine and 11 years went by. I lost everything and nearky died. I had done this all before and was desperate and in despair.

NA found me and I have been getting better since that day 2 years and 7 months ago. I have a great life and many friends who are members of NA.

My message to you is that I cannot do this alone I need a power greater than me and other addicts in recovery to be with.

Its a wondorous journey better than anything I have ever experienced.

I hope you stay and walk with us.

Kevin
Old 12-22-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nogard View Post
Welcome to SR J. I can so relate. I did not using/drinking on my own for 20 years and had those thoughts over and over. I kept myself busy busy busy, wrote books, started a business, had a good realationship, we had a daughter.

But I was always in danger when I was on my own. One day I had just one drink, just one bottle of wine and 11 years went by. I lost everything and nearky died. I had done this all before and was desperate and in despair.

NA found me and I have been getting better since that day 2 years and 7 months ago. I have a great life and many friends who are members of NA.

My message to you is that I cannot do this alone I need a power greater than me and other addicts in recovery to be with.

Its a wondorous journey better than anything I have ever experienced.

I hope you stay and walk with us.

Kevin
Thank you. i will remember your words.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to our recovery community, I'm glad you came here and posted, rather than pick up a drink.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

congrats!

congrats on your 2 years, and i hope you follow the advice of some of the great minds on this post. i for one can't advice much as i just started recovery, but i am sure that one drink is not worth your 2 years of sobriety. keep up the good work!
Old 12-22-2007, 09:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR. Glad you are here.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
where the light is

Congratulations on your 2 years. Also, your wife must be an incredible person. I admire your strength. Very inspiring.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on your two years Jdrunk and welcome.Maybe now it is time to seek outside support to put some defences in place.Sounds like you have great willpower but a little backup can only help.One thing i have tried to do as mentioned earlier is to keep busy.My brother stopped smoking about 5 years ago and he says he craves cigarettes every day.When the thoughts won't leave his mind he will take the dogs for a run,go out on his bike or do some other activity.I try to plan my day now,rest being part of it but not as much as i would like,best wishes.