Notices

Panic attack

Old 12-18-2007, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic attack

I am so scared right now I don't know what to do, I keep having panic attacks, I've called my mum but she can't get here for an hour and a half, not sure what to do
Old 12-18-2007, 03:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here's some suggestions.
1) DONT DRINK.
2) Try and do something simple like washing the dishes or reading a newspaper.
3) Take some Vit B pills if you have any.
4) Breathe deeply and concentrate something nice such as your last holiday.
5) Try and talk to someone, even someone you don't know such as the Salvation Army helpline.
6) DONT DRINK.

I have them sometimes - just keep telling myself that they are temporary and will pass.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Panic attacks are weird! I have had them on and off for as long as I can remember. Funny, I never had them while drinking.

The first thing...and I know it is hard, is to remember you won't die from them! I drink water, so I can swallow which becomes difficult for me during an attack and I take deep breaths till they pass...which they always do.

My Dr. suggested taking an anti anxiety med for them years ago (during a period of sobriety) but I refused...Thank God...I don't need anything else on my plate...booze is eonugh!

I have gotten 4 or 5 since becoming sober, which is frequent for me, but I just work myself out of them. I never go anywhere without water incase one strikes out of the blue. I know they can be scary, but they pass and for me the more I worry about them the worse they get.

Best of luck!
Old 12-18-2007, 03:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Do you drink coffee or tea? If so, stop. Caffeine can be a huge trigger for anxiety.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

jcham has an excellent suggestion along with the others, panic attacks can be crippling, see a doctor or therapist, depending upon the severity of them meds or some simple form of behavior/thought modification could be the ticket.

For many folks they are common in early sobriety due to new emotions coming to the surface and as they gain a better grasp on thier sobriety they get better and sometimes go away. Do not ignore them though, stay sober and see a doctor.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've gotten panic attacks all my life and still do. And, I don't want to take any meds for them. I have found that the really simple thing of breathing properly helps immensely. If you notice yourself during an attack, you breathing will be very shallow. Take a few deep breaths and exhale showly and you will find your body responds right away. It won't stop the attack completely, but for me, it gives me the energy to get through it.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
I've gotten panic attacks all my life and still do. And, I don't want to take any meds for them. I have found that the really simple thing of breathing properly helps immensely. If you notice yourself during an attack, you breathing will be very shallow. Take a few deep breaths and exhale showly and you will find your body responds right away. It won't stop the attack completely, but for me, it gives me the energy to get through it.

Good suggestion..this has worked for me. I went through an 8 week stress reduction clinic where we learned just that. I also do weekly meditation with a group; that really helps.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I can not add any suggestions as anything I would have suggested has been covered as well as much more. You have a wonderful support group here. Take a minute and write down these suggestions. That way you can refer to them when you feel a panic attack coming on. I especially like the one from Anna regarding breathing. Take care. :ghug
Old 12-18-2007, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with all of the suggestions as well. i have had them on and off, and when they strike or i feel one coming on, i try to do something as someone suggested...get yourself busy. also, breathing in slowly and deeply helps tremendously...it stops an attack for me on the spot. i was having them so often, and i started noticing that they were happening mostly in the am after my few cups of coffee. i stopped drinking coffee and i haven't had one in a long time. caffeine is definitely a trigger like someone else mentioned. you also need to make sure you are eating well balanced meals and not a bunch of simple carbs. insulin peaks and valleys can trigger attacks as well. hang in there, try writing down when they happen, what you have eaten, and drank, and the circumstances...that way you can pinpoint your triggers. hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Panic is awful, Saxony, I am sorry you are experiencing this. Check in with your doctor, and there are a lot of great books about dealing with panic out there that you can read once you get things a bit under control. I have read a bunch on the subject and it has helped me a lot. Keep the faith, Jomey