Notices

I know this might sounds silly but..

Old 12-17-2007, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know this might sounds silly but..

Can anyone relate? I had to call in work sick today and I called in tomorrow. I thought I had food poisoning now I just think it's the flu. Been vomiting and all sorts of gross stuff since Sunday. I'm PARANOID people at work think I just went on a drinking binge and called in sick due to a hangover. So much so I'm terrrifed of walking back in the door. I called in sick a lot for being hungover, this is probably the first time I can remember actually being sick from a flu and not something alcohol induced. When I called in on Sunday night for today, they sounded a little peeved, probably because other people called in due to the snow storm we had. I feel soooo guilty as in the past I was chronically "sick" *cough hungover* due to drinking but this time I'm actually sick. It's been a while since I called in sick but due to it being after a weekend I feel like it screams I'm hungover. I'm paranoid! I'm having the same guilty feelings as if I'm hungover and feel like I've been drinking..symptoms are kind of the same I guess. Anyone else get paranoid over things like this early in sobriety? I know it sounds silly but I'm literally obsessing over it :-(
Old 12-17-2007, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi yongirish
Yep! I sure can relate ! When I first got sober, I felt very guilty and paranoid if Ihad to ring in sick, but take heart, it does get better as you begin to like yourself more. I dont know why or how, except that once I had put some step work into my recovery, my feelings of paranoia and guilt disappeared

hang in there, "do the next right thing", and dont go overboard trying to justify your illness, I know I did LOL

it does get better , believe me

HUGX
Leigh
Old 12-17-2007, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Haha omg Leigh, thank you. I find it so funny u mentioned trying to justify my illness.. I've been msning a lady from my work describing the puking and been going over in my head what to say when I go back to everyone to make them believe I'm actually sick. Been thinking about calling back to forfeit my sick call, just throw up at work so people will actually believe me. Thanks for your reply, you truly understand!
thanks,
katie
Old 12-18-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I actually had food poisoning after my lunch this past Thursday and called in sick on Friday as well... Spoke with my boss this morning and brought it up explaining what happened, he didn't really care.

Yes, in the past, I would call in sick on Friday or come in late due to being out the night before...

Just be honest about it, and don't worry too much !!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Katie I can relate, is your boss aware of your problem? Does your boss know that you used to call in "SICK" (hungover)?

Have you discussed that you are recovering now with your boss? If you have being honest is not going to kill you. If you haven't well maybe now is the time, I have found the truth will really set you free, it set me free from active alcoholism.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Oh, yeah! I have what is called "Catholic guilt"...very similar to "Jewish guilt"...we seem to have had guilt instilled in us...and, it doesn't necessarily have to do with drinking. Even when I know I'm afraid people will think I did!

Have you discussed that you are recovering now with your boss? If you have being honest is not going to kill you. If you haven't well maybe now is the time, I have found the truth will really set you free, it set me free from active alcoholism.
Not too sure about this. If the boss already knows your drinking history and that you're now in recovery...that's one thing. But, if you're going to be breaking the news to him, this may not be the right time. I didn't have to hide anything, because they all knew me before I quit, and knew when I went to detox/rehab. I guess when and how much you tell is up to you.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.
I can't really tell anyone at work that I'm a recovering alcoholic unfortunately because recently I had a crazy lady I work with accuse me of being on drugs at work. This actually was not true, lol. I think she has a few screws loose and she got in trouble for the accusations, but they did investigate it and to say that now may add some suspicion. I'm a nurse in a psychiactric hospital and am around medications all day and stuff, and if anything does go missing I don't want the finger pointed at "the addict" if you know what I mean. I haven't told a soul at my work I'm an alcoholic, although I'm sure some have smelled the booze and come to thier own conclusions. I'm not feeling as anxious about it today and the flu I think has passed, so I'll just call and see if there's any shifts I can pick up to make up for what I missed.
Lol Jersey, growing up Irish Catholic, I'm familiar with that guilt. Not as familiar as my dad, but definately have had a taste :-) Its wonderful isnt it?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
I can't really tell anyone at work that I'm a recovering alcoholic ...... I haven't told a soul at my work I'm an alcoholic, although I'm sure some have smelled the booze and come to thier own conclusions.
Please don't openly mention it then--unless it may be of help to someone else. My boss told everyone at work about my personal business & even though I have never drank while at this present job---one day on my day off I decided to go check out my old hangout and spend time with "so-called friends". Well, that turned into an all day/night event and I ended up in a detox center the following day (for the next 2 weeks).

Now, everyone watches me like a hawk--and reports any suspicious behavior to the boss. For example, I went to my car to read some pages out of my Big Book once when I had some down time>they told my boss they suspected that I went to the car to get a quick drink--which was totally not true. Anyway, little things like that have created a monstrous stir at work due to people not minding their own business and jumping the gun & talking to the boss before talking to me.

So, unless needed to tell someone--I would keep my mouth shut & do my job. I am the only person in recovery at my job--everyone else drinks. I used to work with people in AA--at my last job. It was ok to be open about recovery there. But here is a different story. Drinking is the normal thing around here--and somehow, by me not drinking (even at our company Christmas party we recently had) I feel like I've been shunned by everyone for wanting to stay sober and have a better life for myself.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I can relate to Angelina's post. I worked in an office with a huge drinking culture. When I quit, everyone knew through the grapevine, and when I stopped hanging out drinking with my boss, I was fired. The whole reason, no probably not, but I don't think that it helped.

Let them see a change in you and try to figure out why you are so serene!

Karen