SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Update on Tammy (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/139437-update-tammy.html)

scaredykat 12-17-2007 01:46 PM

Update on Tammy

Hi guys, I'm not going to write much. We're leaving as soon as hubby gets here to take Tammy to the vet. We decided NOT to put her down. I'll write more tomorrow. My arms are bothering me real bad the past few days again, so i won't be on later tonight. So I'll write tomorrow about Tammy and hows she's doing and what changed my mind.

Barb

CarolD 12-17-2007 02:04 PM

Hugs and Prayers
(+) (+) (+)

Anna 12-17-2007 02:14 PM

Hugs and Prayers.

gypsytears 12-17-2007 02:31 PM

:hug: Scaredy... for you and Tammy.

Captain Kirk 12-17-2007 02:53 PM

:ghug3 :praying

Jomey 12-17-2007 03:19 PM

Praying, Barb. :praying Will be waiting to hear... Hugs, jomey

Rowan 12-17-2007 03:22 PM

Thanks for the update on Tammy, Barb. I've been wondering. :hug:

NOMOMERLOTMAMMA 12-17-2007 03:23 PM

Barb,

I've been meaning to ask you about Tammy, but was afraid or thought that I missed something..

thanks for the update..you are a wonderful kitty mom!

Karen

Impurrfect 12-18-2007 06:25 AM

((((Barb))))

Sending you, hubby, and Tammy tons of hugs and prayers! Sorry your arm is hurting you...hope you feel better soon.

Amy

parentrecovers 12-18-2007 06:34 AM

love ya, scaredy. hugs to you and tammy, k

:Val004:

scaredykat 12-18-2007 02:00 PM

Hi Guys, well here's the scoop.

Friday night i found out from the Vet that Tammy definitely has diabetes. A normal cats blood sugar is 150 and Tammy's is 700. I was so upset and cried my eyes out. I thought we were going to put her down. I went to my meeting that night and told my sponsor about it. Luckily i see her every Friday. She was telling me about "living life on life's terms". That night we went home and i was still freaking out because i wanted to wait until after Christmas to put her down, but the vet said she would be suffering if i didn't do something now. So i knew I had to do something after the weekend was over.

On Saturday I went to my home group meeting and ironically the topic was
"living life on life's terms". Isn't that weird?!! I think my HP is trying to tell me something. Well after the meeting I was so calm after hearing other peoples problems, that it made mine with a kitty seem like nothing.

So after the meeting i was able to think rationally about Tammy and her diabetes and i thought about all the people i talked with that have experience with this and their kitties. My husband called his mom and talked with her about her experience with this. She has a cat with diabetes. So we decided to give it a try. I'm willing to overcome my fear of needles to help Tammy. She still has a lot of life in her. This weekend she acted so much like her old self. That gave me a sign to go for this too.

She's at the vet's now and comes home tomorrow. Their doing her blood sugar tests and giving her insulin. So tomorrow we will learn how to do this. I'm a little nervous about this and sometimes doubt creeps up. I just want what's best for Tammy.

Thanks for being here everyone. It helps so much talking about it.

Barb

Anna 12-18-2007 02:20 PM

I am so happy to hear this Barb, and so impressed that you are going to do this for your cat. It's not going to be easy for you, but your cat will flourish. I had to give needles to my cat before she died and I was afraid to hurt her when I did it. But, we got through it.

Astro 12-18-2007 02:23 PM

I'm really amazed at the way you're handling this, Barb. Very proud of you for "living life on life's terms"! Prayers going out for you and Tammy......

Dee74 12-18-2007 02:29 PM

Glad you decided on what's best Barb.

D

Jomey 12-18-2007 02:31 PM

Good for you Barb. I'm happy that things are going better. Your ability to see clearly in this situation is amazing...to see what's best for Tammy and to stay sober is a great job! Jomey

RK2007 12-18-2007 02:37 PM

Wow Barb, that's great - what a gift to Tammy; very brave of you indeed...

Well done... :)

Hevyn 12-18-2007 03:33 PM

I was hoping you'd find a way around having to put her to sleep! Now, no matter what happens you'll know you gave this a try - to hold on to her as long as possible. I didn't want you to have a sad Christmas. Tammy's a lucky girl.

NOMOMERLOTMAMMA 12-18-2007 03:42 PM

Yup, Barb, HP sends you what you need when you need it! I'm glad that you are giving this a "shot" (pardon the pun) for Tammy. Very happy for you all!

Karen

Rowan 12-18-2007 03:52 PM

You inspire me Barb - I'm proud of you for doing this. I hope you didn't give Tammy her Christmas present yet - she's just gonna have to wait now!

cmc 12-18-2007 05:29 PM

barb,
I'm so glad that what Tammy has is treatable. Insulin works well and it works fast, I won't be surprised to hear that Tammy will be feeling like her old self again very soon-if not already. I had to learn to do insulin shots for two of my kids when they were very young. You will do fine with the insulin shots and knowing that you are able to help her will make you feel better too.
:hug: