Notices

Quit Meter - Progress Report

Old 12-16-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quit Meter - Progress Report

I can't find the original thread on the 'Quit Meter' so I stated another (sorry mods if the original exists).

Anyway, progress report - I'm about halfway through it, and have almost finished the interface.

It's a bit harder to do than I expected and taking up quite a bit of time, so I am going to have a break from it till the new year.

I will definitely finish it, but I'm not pressuring myself, or working on it when it becomes tedious.

A quit meter for boozers is needed (it was the first thing I searched for when I decided to quit - to give me motivation and feedback), and I know it will help many people when its finished and working - so I think working on it is time well spent. However, I'm just a bit bored with it at present, so sorry to those who expected it by now (those who commented on the first post about the quit meter a few weeks ago).

He he he - have you seen how many calories you don't consume in 3 years of not drinking for a heavy boozer (1.88 million).

Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

thanks for the update.
that's looking good! it seems like your doing a nice job. i look forward to using it.
have a nice day.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm back working on the quit meter (see pic top post). It's more than half done but I'm not super-productive at the moment, so it might take a while to complete.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'd be interested in seeing a category "Number of Meetings Attended". Also, "Life-Time Goals Started" and/or "Life-Time Goals Completed".
Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Jersey Manchurian could also add things like steps completed, number of times one has taken sponsees through steps, number of alcoholics worked with, service positions held, meetings chaired, number of shares heard, & number of shares.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Looks like you and I are on the same "wavelength", Taz!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Can I get one of those?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry Jersey Nonny and Tazman53 - I'm going to finish the general purpose version first. If I keep adding stuff now, I'll never get the thing working.

curliQ, I'll try to get an alpha version ready for Feb 1st.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

No apology necessary, MC. It's your "creation", and you have every right to include whatever you deem pertinent. I just wouldn't have any interest in such "general purpose" items as alcohol and/or calories not consumed, money saved.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm still working on it - just doing the diary function on the quit meter at the moment (I think it essential to keep a journal of how things are going). However, I seem to have lost 30 points off my IQ and am finding it hard to focus.

I'm not making excuses, but the Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) seems to have hit me quite badly. I am not finding the programming a chore - it's just that I'm intellectually slow and a bit confused at present.

The good news is the PAWS effects are definitely less severe than they were, and I'm still motivated to finish the quit meter.

Note that when the general purpose one is finished it I'll do another version specifically geared towards the AA (12 steps and meetings etc.) as it appears most people here (drinkers) rely on the AA to help them.

Anyway, sorry for any disappointments.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Still working on it - I'm just doing the diary part at the moment.

The diary entry date is the index, and there is a title in the list for each entry. Rather that just plain text, I want a proper diary that can have pictures / Internet links / coloured text etc. I have done some of the coding for the rich text diary editor, but it is going to take a while.

I would rather do a good job and a program that is pleasing to use than rush out some boring slop full of errors. So I suppose it will be finished when its finished.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

awesome work MC!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Oh wow, cool MC! Can't wait until it's finished!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm still working on it - here is a pic of the diary (smaller than actual size).

I think it is essential that the quit meter has an integrated diary (with an index).

I wanted to do a diary where you could drag and drop pictures and internet links. But there are some problems that I can't get past (without spending ages on it). So I'll just leave it as it is for now (diary can still have different fonts / size/ font colours / background colours + bold /underline etc. as can be seen).

Anyway, I'll start finishing the thing off now that all the major elements are in place. A text diary will be OK for version 1, and I can always release another version if I manage to improve the 'rich text' diary (able to include pictures / links etc.)

Old 02-21-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm excited. :bounce

Do you have a name for the program? You should name it after yourself for all the hard work you've done. It's great.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Not that you don't have enough scope-creep to deal with...

How about a "Daily Meter" for the Diary? Rate yourself on a scale of 1-100 on how you feel physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually, (one rating for each category). Generate graphs for combinations of categories for a given time period, (past week, month, year, ten years).
Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm still doing a few bits on it. I have knocked up a web site with a forum (not quite finished yet, but nearly there) so that it can be downloaded and the forum there can be used to report bugs, make suggestions etc.

Drinking Quit Meter

I'm not that far off having a reasonably well-tested version and a web site to distribute it and support it. Quitting the booze has really hit my productivity and enthusiasm. I'm still glad I quit (102 days ago), but it's tiresome being sort of dead.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Congrats on 102 days, would be good to see you here more often, and tell us whats going on with you.

Kevin