Notices

pretty young here..

Old 12-16-2007, 02:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

pretty young here..

Hello everyone,

I'm 21 years old and worrying about my problem with alcohol. I turned 21 back in April, and since then, I haven't been exactly content with my drinking habits.

Before I was 21 I didn't have direct access to alcohol. I'd drink with my friends once a week, go out to parties, whatever.

But these days, I drink to get drunk several times a week, sometimes 4-5 nights in a row. I hate the way it makes me feel, and that doesn't even stop me most of the time. I used to play basketball every day before I was 21 and now the hangovers prohibit me from playing as often. I probably play once or twice a month now.

I've been in doubt for the past 8 months thinking that I'm just like every other college kid, until my friends started making comments about me and certain others drinking so often, and women that would be interested in me making offhand comments about my drinking habits.

Before alcohol there was weed. I smoked it for a good 6 years...I've been sober from that for almost a year. I think I can do the same with alcohol.

The only thing I'm worried about is my reputation in both ways. I don't want people to look down on me for drinking so much, most importantly my family. It would also kill me to party and not drink, and associating myself with my current friends would be very tough for me if I wanted to quit drinking (my best friend drinks as much as me - its usually just us two during the week).

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 12-16-2007, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

If you want to be sober please do it for yourself first. Perhaps a visit to your doctor would be of help.
all the best
Old 12-16-2007, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey entp, it sounds like drinking is at the least - affecting your relationships.

can you see a counselor or anyone to sort through it?

my daughter is 23 and she's an alcoholic/coke addict. most of her friends have abandoned her now. the only ones that have stuck around just take advantage and have a lot of problems themselves, i'm afraid.

hugs, and keep reaching out! there's quite a few young people on sr right now, so they'll be around soon i bet.

k