Notices

newly sober with questions :)

Old 12-12-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newly sober with questions :)

A few months ago I broke from two months of being sober, and have just started again. I didn't really wish to break from sobriety, but with tons of bbq's and parties for the end of summer, I somehow fell back into the habit again, although cutting down extremely on my alcohol intake.

Overall, My intake has fluctuated over the past ten years, from occasionally drinking a pint in one night (not concecutively) and wine or beer on other evenings, to six months of no drinking, and periods of months with very light drinking. (I hope that makes sense)

It has become a habit, and I'm finally realizing a dangerous one. My breaks from drinking have always been logical, thinking six months is a smart idea just to cleanse my body and be healthy. But that's illogical, especially when one tends to fall into the habit of drinking almost every night without realizing it "conciously"

So recently, as in three days ago, I decided enough is enough. I looked in the mirror and didn't even recognize myself! This has been a tough year, and I haven't been sleeping much, and although I can honestly say I have been drinking much less than in the past, but am still in the habit of drinking every other day or so. The combination of years of steady drinking and no sleep have taken a toll on my health, I can see it in my face suddenly. I am not sure why I just noticed this......but I saw myself in a full length mirror at a distance in a store and was astonished at how bloated my face looks.

This summer I worked really hard to get in shape, and have done a fairly good job and gained some muscle tone and at least got daily cardio. But I know I have the bloat, and that is a bad sign for my body, and I want to take care of my body.

I never have had withdrawl symptoms, nor am I having them now. I wasn't eating very much at all (even when hungry) recently which I am sure is another detrimental factor, and these past three days I have been trying to make an effort to eat nutritious foods and get a good nights rest.

I suppose I am curious about the sallow/dark circle and bloated issue I think many experience. Does it go away?

Oh and I am drinking much water, as I always have, and lots of tea.
The past two nights I've slept so much better without a drink, even though often I would drink to try to fall asleep and end up not wanting to go to bed.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to SR tiny

if one has physical concerns!

Doc it!

congratulations on give'n it another go...

it is doable...

good wishes

rz
Old 12-12-2007, 06:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr.

You've made a good decision for yourself.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

************************{tiny}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Welcome to SR!!! Glad you found this site. It has helped me and many others.

It gets so much better. Hang in there..........one step at a time.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiny1974 View Post
A few months ago I broke from two months of being sober, and have just started again. I didn't really wish to break from sobriety, but with tons of bbq's and parties for the end of summer, I somehow fell back into the habit again, although cutting down extremely on my alcohol intake.

Overall, My intake has fluctuated over the past ten years, from occasionally drinking a pint in one night (not concecutively) and wine or beer on other evenings, to six months of no drinking, and periods of months with very light drinking. (I hope that makes sense)

It has become a habit, and I'm finally realizing a dangerous one. My breaks from drinking have always been logical, thinking six months is a smart idea just to cleanse my body and be healthy. But that's illogical, especially when one tends to fall into the habit of drinking almost every night without realizing it "conciously"

So recently, as in three days ago, I decided enough is enough. I looked in the mirror and didn't even recognize myself! This has been a tough year, and I haven't been sleeping much, and although I can honestly say I have been drinking much less than in the past, but am still in the habit of drinking every other day or so. The combination of years of steady drinking and no sleep have taken a toll on my health, I can see it in my face suddenly. I am not sure why I just noticed this......but I saw myself in a full length mirror at a distance in a store and was astonished at how bloated my face looks.

This summer I worked really hard to get in shape, and have done a fairly good job and gained some muscle tone and at least got daily cardio. But I know I have the bloat, and that is a bad sign for my body, and I want to take care of my body.

I never have had withdrawl symptoms, nor am I having them now. I wasn't eating very much at all (even when hungry) recently which I am sure is another detrimental factor, and these past three days I have been trying to make an effort to eat nutritious foods and get a good nights rest.

I suppose I am curious about the sallow/dark circle and bloated issue I think many experience. Does it go away?

Oh and I am drinking much water, as I always have, and lots of tea.
The past two nights I've slept so much better without a drink, even though often I would drink to try to fall asleep and end up not wanting to go to bed.

What is it that you would like to accomplish? Detox? Stay sober for good and all? Take a temporary break from drinking?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, tiny! keep reaching out and sharing your story. hugs, k
Old 12-12-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by frescacan View Post
What is it that you would like to accomplish? Detox? Stay sober for good and all? Take a temporary break from drinking?

I wish to stay sober good and all, yes. I've had enough.
I want to live a long and healthy life.

I've been to the doctor, and nothing is wrong with me thank God, but I figure I better start now before something IS wrong with me. I fall into the habit too easily, and believe it's more emotional than physical for the most part.

I can tell my body has had enough from feeling tired, looking it, and such.
I'm just wondering if those of you who have gone through this if this look of sickness fades or is irreversable. It just hit me, and is a reminder of abusing my body, and I am curious.

Regarding that, are there any tips to help give the body the nutrients it needs after so much abuse to try and make sure one can get healthy as possible again and reverse the malnourishment that goes with excessive drinking.

I know lack of nutrition is a big deal to the body and health and am curious about those certain things that help cell/body repair related to alchohol dependence.

And thank you for the welcome

edit: I just realized something I should mention, is that this evening I am experiencing feeling a little mentally confused and exhausted, although I woke up rather bright eyed and bushy tailed. Perhaps this is a physical reaction to not having alchohol?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Nutrition-wise, I've heard that B-vitamins are the most important. I'd invest in a complete multivitamin (I've been feeling much better since I started taking one). Listening to cravings can also be a good thing, I think.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank You very much Tellus.

Is Milk thistle also good as a "tonic" for the liver?
My doctor said so,(in moderation) I was just curious of other people's experiences with it.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiny1974 View Post
I wish to stay sober good and all, yes. I've had enough.
I want to live a long and healthy life.

I've been to the doctor, and nothing is wrong with me thank God, but I figure I better start now before something IS wrong with me. I fall into the habit too easily, and believe it's more emotional than physical for the most part.

I can tell my body has had enough from feeling tired, looking it, and such.
I'm just wondering if those of you who have gone through this if this look of sickness fades or is irreversable. It just hit me, and is a reminder of abusing my body, and I am curious.

Regarding that, are there any tips to help give the body the nutrients it needs after so much abuse to try and make sure one can get healthy as possible again and reverse the malnourishment that goes with excessive drinking.

I know lack of nutrition is a big deal to the body and health and am curious about those certain things that help cell/body repair related to alchohol dependence.

And thank you for the welcome

edit: I just realized something I should mention, is that this evening I am experiencing feeling a little mentally confused and exhausted, although I woke up rather bright eyed and bushy tailed. Perhaps this is a physical reaction to not having alchohol?
I would encourage you to get a sponsor who can take you through the steps, right out of the big book.

"When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically." Big Book Page 64.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Tiny

I just wanted to welcome you to our recovery community.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Hi Tiny

I just wanted to welcome you to our recovery community.

Thank you very much. All the welcomes and advice are very much appreciated

I'm still feeling pretty good but exhausted and trying to keep busy.
I'm channeling the energy I would use to escape into my art full force and I think that will also make me feel better about myself.